Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Anyone Drift A Wagon?

Is there anyone here that drifts there wagon? Im looking to get it sideways.Ive got a 88 dl 4x4 5-spd. Im going to remove the front axles and put the stubs back in. Ive got a set of ebay coilovers on the way.Is there any info you guys can give me to help this thing slide. Should i remove all the inside body pannels to free up weight?

Is that your car? what all is done to it?

Click on the Shirley link, its a group of guys in Iceland.

It looks like tire came off the rim in that pic.

You cant drift a stock EA82 GL wagon, it just doesnt have the power to do it. Anyone can throw it sideways into a corner, if you have the cajones.

You need a transplant, like a EJ20 or better to get the power.

wait until the front axle breaks, and take it out on the side of the road. put car in 4wd and pull over to the shoulder.

decide if you like left or right turns. I favor left turning because i am on the left side of the car.

open the hood and remove donut wheel.

install donut wheel on your favored side of the car.

put original tire under hood, go find a wet parking lot.

ruin your car and then kick the *************** out of yourself the next time it snows

sell what's left for scrap, after you sold all of your interior on usmb, and get something that came as a RWD, like an 88 chevy s-10:lol:

its easy to say no

there are so many problems with the car for drifting, i do it on dirt but still.

The engine isnt powerfull enough, may be able to use a tuned EA82 turbo, but then the gbox will givw in

Sorry to say but it wont work too well

Get a liberty or wrx and go driftingqlooks much better and the cars are amazingly balanced

nah, the trans can't handle it for long. "taking the axles out" will last forever if you don't beat it, but if beating it is the point, then save the time and go buy a old rump roast rwd celica, they are dog cheap.

Well the D/R trans has a weakness in the hi lo gears so not the best for drifting/rear wheel driving but IMO the single range 4wd ea82 trannys are fun and strong i have beat the snot out of a few of them and have not had a problem yet and i have run the 2.2 with it.

A plus is you can take a legacy 5 speed awd trans and an ea82 singal range trans and put the ea insides into the EJ case then put the ea tail+insides on it you can use it in an ea car to swap in an ej motor with no adapter plate and no redrilled flywheel and use better clutch parts.

The only down side is this is only a street thing it can not be done with the D/R. The reson i chose a turbo ea tranny is it has the same spline count as the legacy axles so i can use it in my legacy to get 3.7 gears and no viscus coupler hehehe. to put this trans in a legacy you would need to use the front part of an ea driveline on the legacy due to a shorter tail shaft.

Thanks Rob.

ps sorry 4 teh typos

• 1 year later...

I drift my wag on anything but pavemnt. The ea82t with a 3.90 d/r 5spd works out really well on snOwy roads ive been know to throw the rump roast out doing 60

I love the chaotic peace you get when your going sideways at speed:headbang:

This summer the rears getting welded and the front shafts are coming out

Im curious if i will work if it doesnt then its gettin doughnuts on the backS