Ultimate Subaru Message Board

#Tires# Dont Flame Me OK

Scott in Bellingham

OK Got My Imp lifted, this will be my daily driver so Im lookin for some All Terrian tires about 27" I have both 14 and 15" rims , I want something Aggresive but not a all out mud tire, been lookin at the All terrains havent found one I really like want something will more gaps, leaning towards the General Grabbers, looked at the firestone Destination AT , want something that will do well on the trails but also preform on the road

5792123527_634b58ee66_z.jpg

heres a grabber

GeneralGrabberAT2.jpg

Stones CJ%2003%20Durango%2052.JPG

cooper

discvr_st.jpg

alot of folks use the general grabber.i really liked every set of BFG allterrains i have had.i have gone some crazy places on them.

that being said, get what you can or want to afford.

me,i'd go BFG, and will again given the need for an all terrain.

cheers, b

I love the Firestone Destination A/Ts. I've got them on my '72 Chevy, and I had them on my '96 Yukon. I haven't put enough miles on my '72 yet to comment on wear on the Destinations, but I've had 2 sets of the BFG's that seemed to wear prematurely... but that was probably driver induced :lol:

did you wheel them at all?cheers, b

They bite and clean out pretty well, although we had some troubles when the red clay got real nasty. I like them and would probably buy another set if I were in the market for A/Ts for the truck (couldn't say no to free 35x12.50xR15 MTs though!).

They bite and clean out pretty well, although we had some troubles when the red clay got real nasty. I like them and would probably buy another set if I were in the market for A/Ts for the truck (couldn't say no to free 35x12.50xR15 MTs though!).

right right,, some folks are from other parts of the country and don't have the kind of wheeling we have, thats all.cool to know it is a good choice.cheers, b

I think he means nokian....

A friend had some Kumho Road Venture A/Ts on his jeep a few years ago. I was very impressed with them for an all-terrain. I had planned on going with the M/T version on my 4runner until I found a deal on some used Cooper STTs

For a "do it all" tire in the PNW, you can't get better than sipped Cooper STT's. They're sold as a mud terrain, but they're more of an aggressive all terrain with really good road manners. They don't cake up in mud and self clean easily, do well in the rocks and gravel, they're not too loud on the road and they last a long time. When sipped, I'm surprised how well they do on compact snow and ice.

BFG A/Ts. If there's a better "do it all" tire, they haven't made it yet. There's a reason it says "Baja Champion" on the sidewall. They're tough, durable, and will float through just about anything you can put under them. I've been a Toyo user for quite awhile, but, the BFG A/T doesn't have much on the market that can compete. Especially at that price point. They drive down the road really well too. That's why I have a set on my Roadmaster. They worked great in the Arizona sand, and handled the interstate at 90+ without any more noise, or pulling than normal street tires. Oh yeah, that set is from Pull A Part too.... can't be beat.

The Yokohama geolander at/s I have on my OBS have been awesome. Ahd almost a year with bad camber and such and they have very little wear on them. Great winter traction (pulled a few people out of some snow banks this last winter) surprisingly quiet on the road, and good traction off the beaten path. I have gone on light duty offroading with mine and they have performed admirably.

BFG A/Ts. If there's a better "do it all" tire, they haven't made it yet. There's a reason it says "Baja Champion" on the sidewall. They're tough, durable, and will float through just about anything you can put under them. I've been a Toyo user for quite awhile, but, the BFG A/T doesn't have much on the market that can compete. Especially at that price point. They drive down the road really well too. That's why I have a set on my Roadmaster. They worked great in the Arizona sand, and handled the interstate at 90+ without any more noise, or pulling than normal street tires. Oh yeah, that set is from Pull A Part too.... can't be beat.

I've run a lot of tires over the years and theres a lot of tires that compete with the BFG A/T and most beat it hands down.

BFG puts Baja Champion on all their stuff and in my experience, the BFG A/T makes a great road tire in the PNW and thats it. BFG A/T are a good "do it all" tire down south like So Cal, but up here they cake up with any mud or wet soil and act like slicks. The Cooper STT has it beat in EVERY category except road ability. Cooper STT's have a stronger carcass and sidewalls and they also have side lugs which the BFG A/T doesn't...like a street tire. BFG A/T's are cheap for a reason, you get what you pay for.

My .02 on BFG A/T's

^^^

I agree. The BFG A/Ts don't clean out the sticky mud very well at all. For summer time wheeling, they'll do great. I ran some on a pathfinder I had and really only liked them on the road. You try to take them thru the likes of a muddy Walker Valley and you'll be disappointed.

i have known people with both tires on their vehicles ( BFG A/T and cooper STT) personally i think the cooper is not in any way an A/T tire but the do work well. and the only thing about tire cleaning is that you need a certain amount of wheel spin for the tire to clean, the mud wont just fall out of its own accord. i have BFG's on my ranger and they are super quiet on the road and handle very well and a friend had a set of cooper STT's on her wrangler unlimited and they were very loud and seemed to wander a bit. thats just my experience personally i dont have any experience with the cooper on my own vehicles. i would look into some goodyear wrangler mt/r's version 1 they will do the best for you on anything. Good luck finding a tire.

I love them in snow, sand, dirt, light mud, in gravel they handle like rally tire...!:grin:

All these folks complaining about mud...that's why they have m/t tires just for that..!

BFG's aren't cheap...alittle on the spendy side...

I ran yokohama at+2 for years and the bfg beats them hands down..!

defiancerecon032.jpg

eggzachary people.he asked for an AT tire.And FYI mud that comes from the depths of Baja is some of the sickest mud i have seen in my life.....( i have lived in gumbo mud , desert mud, and now PNW mud)just sayin.it aint a swamper, it is not a cooper sst, but it is a highly capable all around tire.....

cheers, me