Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Mudrat79 Cars

Mudrat79 responded to my earlier post regarding looking for a replacement for my work car. He is currently building a car that sounds perfect for my use and has offered it to me for sale. He said that he does this for a living and urged me to check on the board for references from those who have either purchased his vehicles, or knows of his work. So , here I am. Is the workmanship good and are the cars reliable? PS. Mudrat79, I have sent two E-mails to you concerning the car recently. I haven't heard anything back so I am wondering if you are having server/computer problems?

Dog1

Dog1@BigMailBox.net

i will vouch for him, ive seen a few pics of whats come out of that garage of his...id say hes a pro of his own, also sold him a spoiler and chit chatted with him on the phone, definatly trust worthy and all around good guy. :)

John is one of the good guys. One of the soobs he did some work on lives all the way down here in TX. I'm sure others, more local to you will chime in. Rick is always full of nice things to say about John. (Full of other stuff too, but thats another story:D)

Including locating the donor. I've spoken with him several times about potential projects, and can vouch that he is WAY knowledgable in the Subaru minituae, and dedicated to quality work. I think he's one of those guys who has figured out how to get people to pay him for what he would do for free ... as play.

As to the 'no contact', he has in the past had minor connection problems, but usually it's a matter of getting his head out from under a hood!

If he's got the car you want, go for it ... if not tell ME about it, maybe it's the one I'm 'looking for'!

I'm in on this one!

Johns a great guy, he knows his Subarus! That's all he does. He is my go-to guy. His fabrication and mechanic skills can't be beat.

Besides working on Subarus, John has a life. He responds to emails and answers his phone like everyone else. If Johns away or pursuing a hobby, that makes him a real person and it will make him a better one when he returns.

Our Subies are old they will break. If you have concerns about the car, ask John. If he is aware of the problem he would tell you how much it would cost to fix or how you could do it yourself.

Mudrat has my vote of confidence.

Glenn,

82 Summer, Mudrat approved!

01 Forester, Mudrat says it's too low!

I've been good friends with Mudrat for going on 4 years now. You'd be in good hands if you trust him to build a car for you. (or whatever else you put in front of him.) He doesn't just build Soobs, he 4X's them as extremely as they've EVER been 4X'd. (see photo below)

It will take a minute, he's busy with family and many projects and a bit of a procrastinator, but that's what pestering is for. :)

Email is a bad way to try to get a hold of him, always has been. Just call him.

While his work is impecable and he is definatly a leader in the technical aspects, I cannot reccomend him as being a up front or punctual person. Maybe I am unreasonable but communication and the courtesy of not having to chase someone down to thier word is something I consider important. If he has the car on hand, I would not hesitate to buy it, again, no question on his skills. But I wouldn't trust a promise.

i think John is great! i was looking to buy a brat up in Canada here (there are something like 3 brats in B.C including my own) and he hooked me up with one... i had been looking for months before i found John. i hadn't come up with anything... i phoned him and the next day he had a car that i could buy! he even sent up some parts for me that i needed in a hurry and something like 4 days later i had my car up and running again! i even phone him up if i don't know something and he spent half an hour talking me through the process...

he is the best car guy i know,

John is the man. I wouldn't hesititate to buy a rig from him or to have him work on any Subaru. He knows his stuff and is in it for all the right reasons, the biggest being an intense passion for Subarus. If he spent more time at the computer and less under the hood, he'd be the answer man here on the board, but then he wouldn't be who he is...

Let me tell you of our first meeting...

I am at the local steel yard and I'm having some stock cut.

The guy running the saw (John) turns and asks " is that your car out there?" some dude behind me chimes in and says " the vette? yeah thats mine"

"f**k the vette, the Subaru" John says

he was refering to my 94 Impreza wagon

"Yep, that's my Subaru"

he proceeded to tell me all about the local offroad club and show me pictures of some of the most insane subaru action I had ever seen.

Sorry, I'm rambling but my point is, this guy loves Subarus: building, fixing, offroading, and talking about them.

I respect and trust him. Having just been over to his shop, I can say he has a lot going on and seems to work nearly constantly.

Give him a call, he nearly always answers the phone

garner

You'd be the guy with the little yellow gen one? Anything recent done to improve it? How's it coming along? It looked cool sitting in my yard for a week.

yes it is my brat that sat in your yard for a few days! well i haven't done anything to the car yet as a mod(i plan to keep it stock... daily driver) but i have replaced the clutch and took of those fog lights that were bent to h*ll... i broke the starter to so i am scrounging money for that(100cnd through napa with a employee discount... my friends employee discount)

when i put the tranny back together my speedometer doesn't work. had to replace a seal...(gotta work to pass the inspection... any ideas?) i got a set of 74 sport mags on the way depending on mcbrat and his abilities to reply to e-mails... thinking about a weber, exaust, role-bar...

all of this stuff seems dreadfully off topic(sorry) but i don't really know how to use this forum...

but i was planning on getting John to help me out wih this stuff and fabbing a role-bar... see! see! i trust him enough to make me a role-bar that will save my life for when i role my car! :drunk: hehehe

nah... i won't do that!

John is great!

Thanks for the info. Following the suggestions of some, I called him up last night and ironed out some details on the car. Look forward to doing business with him and to owning my first non-carberated car (Subaru of course).

john's awesome! his work is very reliable. i've tortured the new lift, dual t-case and motor in my car. nothing in regards of what he did has broken. only other parts i decided not to upgrade. which are now being upgraded.

as for the procrastinating part that was mentioned earlier. some times custom fab stuff is late from the deadline. but realize that he has kids he has to watch and are constantly interupting him. he also does do other things. but the quality of the work when he is done is exceptional! and he is a very respectable and honest man. whom i have a lot of respect for. i spent a few days in that garage working with him at the end stages of my lift. it was hectic with everything going on.

Mudrat taught me how to wrench on subaru's, and is very dependable. He has saved me serious headace multiple times from wrecker service, to over the phone transmission swaps, and I've only known the guy 10 months. I definitly trust Mudrats workmanship and honor his friendship. He is a busy guy, e-mail isn't his strongest suit, I'd just call him.

mudrat has been doing good work on my Forester for the last year now. Calling him on his cell is the best way to contact him. He doesn't have much time for the computer. He stays pretty busy working on Subaru's. He does get allot of distractions from his family and other customers. I've only heard good things from everyone that has dealt with him.

Thanks go out to all you Folks......

I greatly appreciate the feedback.....

I Hadn't been on really all week, and Zapar Told me I had a resume on the board...?????? I thought he as Joking....:)

Anyhow, I thank you all for the positive and the few Negatives....:lol:

Later, All......

John and Crew in Oregon.....

• 7 months later...

I bought a Brat from John back in July of this year. Since he referred me to this post during his sales pitch, I feel inclined to reply.

I will never do business with John Bloom again. After telling me several times in email and over the phone that the Brat was rust free and solid this is what I got.

IMG_1656.jpg

It was covered with a piece of plywood attached with wood screws. There is also cancer in the Drivers side rocker making it's way up to the lower door hinge. This may be what the east coast calls rust free but not over here in Washington. After renegotiating the price I agreed to take the Brat with the understanding he would help to fix the rust. No such luck. John has not returned a phone call, email or private message in 4 months. To top it off, John promised to send the title for the vehicle in the mail. Again no such luck.

Now, that I have talked to a few more USMB members, I realize that I’m not the only one who has had bad dealings with John. I hope this post may save someone else the trouble and hassle that I’ve gone through.

But I wouldn't trust a promise.

You may now say “I TOLD YOU SO”

I contacted John to build a new exhaust for me, he responded very quickly, and gave me a cell number to call him on. After speaking, he gave me design choices on the specs (single straight out, dual, side, etc.)... at EXTREMELY reasonable prices. He does think ahead, even made sure shipping was viable, splitting the system so it could be installed with minimal hassle. I wanted chrome stacks coming out of the floor of the bed, but with seats and a roll bar... yikes... no go, no room :)

I found my Brat only needs a donut gasket, but I will definitely call John when I need the exhaust replaced.

Flow,no we don't consider that rust free here either.I don't know what you paid for it but here for the rust that you mentioned the Brats go for $300-1400 depending on the condition of the rest of the vehicle.

John is a great guy.But,just like me,he can be slow to respond or finish a deal.John,you are ok with me,no hurry to send those wheels.I know you're busy just like me.Send them sometime though. ;) They'd make a nice Christmas present. :-p

Talk to him on the phone.You'll get a lot out of the conversation and a better presence always makes things happen faster.You have to remember that he's up to his eyeballs in cars just like yours,for people just like you.I know his work is good and for that he's inreased his customer base severely.Being a small shop with little or no payroll I'm sure he needs to take care of the quicker jobs that are producing the higher profits.I don't blame him one bit.Having been a contractor I know that you just plain and simple have to blow some folks off sometimes.You can't spread yourself too thin,but you also need to keep the customer base stable if not growing.It's a difficult decision when you do this and it never sits well with anyone unless the contractor is a cold hearted SOB,which we all know John Bloom is NOT.

John and his wife ran a memorial fund for a lost member.That alone tells me he's a decent person.Sometimes deals take some time to complete.I'm living proof. :o Telephone is best.

Seahag- I received the same quick responses and attention to detail initially as well. That all changed after I fronted him some money.

Moose- I'm done trying to call John. Since when is blowing off customers who have paid for a product an accepted business practice? The point is that when it comes to John Bloom, Let the Buyer Beware.

uhh,I didn't mean people who've paid.Just prospective customers.Sorry,and good luck.

I've never taken money and not done work.Here,they like to print your name in the newspaper when you do that.

My experiences with John aren't perfect either but I also know him,like me,to take a long time to close things.But I strongly feel he's not doing this to make your life miserable.