Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My '83 GL: The Ski Wagon

TheLoyale

I think it would be worth it in the long run to keep it as it is. I like the trashwagon look if it were any other ea81 I would say go for it., but there were, and are so few of these left, it would be nice to see one in really nice condition.

:Flame:

:D

I agree with going back to the decals on white. If it were a regular ea81 car, sure, TW it, but this one isnt, it is special & has a history and needs to be returned to that.

Pretty much any "sign" shop that does vinyl graphics can cut you new decals, and you have plenty of reference photos to get the layout from, but, it wont exactly be cheap.

My suggestion is to print out a couple of your pics, and take them (or email them) to various sign/graphic shops and get a few estimates.

sittin here thinking about it - didnt somebody say they "might" have a set of these decals a few pages back?

Thanks for the feedback ya'll. We'll see what I do when I get that far, Have I let anyone down on the board yet? No matter which direction I take this car, it will be done well, down to the seams.

I'm overly anal as you can see, Afterall, anyone who would wait 2 weeks for some rubber insulated spade terminals from Hong Kong because plain terminals wouldn't look as finished, MUST be an anal Mofo :-p

Edited by TheLoyale

Fly wheel resurface?

Should I bother, or just toss in a new clutch kit? I don't think its needed? When I did drive it, the clutch felt smooth, and no noise. But the disc is indeed worn, 3/4 way out and than it grabs, no much to play with, plus it was slipping.

Resurface; Yes/No?

Things to know when/if I go to get it resurfaced?

Fly wheel resurface?

Should I bother, or just toss in a new clutch kit? I don't think its needed? When I did drive it, the clutch felt smooth, and no noise. But the disc is indeed worn, 3/4 way out and than it grabs, no much to play with, plus it was slipping.

Resurface; Yes/No?

Things to know when/if I go to get it resurfaced?

if it was slipping, then I vote for the resurfacing. slipping clutch will cause glazing - you need to remove the glazing for the new clutch to operate properly.

Biggest thing I can think of is spec thickness - if it is the original flywheel it may not have enough left to resurface, and they will tell you that when they check it out.

be prepared to track down another flywheel if need be.

On these older cars, unless the flywheel is loaded with hot spots, I have always just gone over the surface with a sanding disc lightly to kid of refresh the surface. Never had an issue doing that, and it has always worked well. If you were going with an EJ22 swap or something, I'd say get it resurfaced.

I would highly recommend having the flywheel resurfaced properly. In most cases the flywheel has a very specific finish and may even have a very small step (my '96 Legacy required a 0.004 step in the finish). Tom, I know you're the kind of guy that does it once because he did it right.

I would agree about the flywheel in a Legacy as well, just isn't necessary in an old GL unless your having serious slipping issues. I have done it that way to MANY older cars with no issues ever. But definitely do it whichever way you want, just throwing out what I have experienced.

I guess by looking at the flywheel, it will determine what step I should take next.

I would say the EA81 GL chassis is a pretty Madmax vehicle if you would, These require very little to keep going forever, even under extremes. Wonder if I can convert it to pig sh*t? :-p

Mine wasn't chattering or slipping very bad when I changed the clutch. There were no hot spots or discoloration on the flywheel. So I just sanded it with 40 grit until the whole surface was shiny and scuffed up pretty well. Even if my flywheel was cracked and in horrible shape, it was an emergency, and had to go back together... But it was fine, and it's still working perfectly. One of the smoothest clutches I've driven. And it was just a napa cheapo, too.

Mine wasn't chattering or slipping very bad when I changed the clutch. There were no hot spots or discoloration on the flywheel. So I just sanded it with 40 grit until the whole surface was shiny and scuffed up pretty well. Even if my flywheel was cracked and in horrible shape, it was an emergency, and had to go back together... But it was fine, and it's still working perfectly. One of the smoothest clutches I've driven. And it was just a napa cheapo, too.

And do you remember who gave you the advise to rough it up with sandpaper? :D