Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I think I Can! I think I Can!!

and i quote from the loyale manual "towing trailers or any other vehicle with your Subaru is NOT RECOMMENDED

(4th gear, 2wd lo range, ea82 rear coilovers, had to pull over to keep the sheriff from tailing me. parking brake aint no joke when its all you got!)

tw5tow.jpg

DAMMIT i forgot to buy insurance. no more for omni source, them bastards!

Well Miles, we may have you beat. Did have good brakes. Pulled a station wagon with a station wagon. Both Subaru (of course). Attached a u-haul dolly to back of 87 DL Station wagon and drove about 40 miles to pick up 89 GL10T. They did ask "you're NOT towing a car with this car, are you?" Of course my Husband said NO! Towed back (I am talking complete car). I know the distance was not too much, but we had to drive through the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel. Now for you guys on the other side of the US. What we have here is a bridge and then a tunnel that goes below sea-level (sits on the floor of the Ches Bay). She pulled it just fine. Yeah Subarus are great.

Linda

Pulling a wagon with a wagon is nothing. Poor Archemitis has had to tow me around a few times :) Also watched him pull an Isuzu Impulse around. Said the clutch never slipped and really had no problems.

The lawyers made them put those warnings in the manual :)

That trailiner in your photo Miles looks like some serouse towing! LOL Thats a pretty beefy trailer alone. Not to mention the hefty load ON the trailer.

dont forget the fact that i had NO BRAKES, other than the hand brake! the fact i had ea82 coilovers withthe existign torsion suspension handled the tongue quite well. who knows what would have happened if i DIDn'T let the sheriff around me. anyways that s why i got a truck plate for the other wagon(JF2 vin#)

we once rented a dolly and the guys said is this the car i was towing with, as i noticed there was no wiring for the pigtail, and i simply said i was taking the dolly to a truck we were using. well, we used the car. 4th gear most of the time, lo range with no rear axles.

So far, I've only been brave enough to tow a friend's Saturn up a hill and to the lot in front of his apartment... a few hundred feet, at little more than 10 mph (at most). Loyale handled it fairly well, though... didn't complain at all.

That'll probably be the extent of my towing adventures, though... I've got my eye on a hatch. Suppose I could pick up a light boat at some point, though, and haul that...

I was gonna say this earlier and the video confirms it. It's not a question if these cars can move the trailers. You get into trouble when you need to stop.

I have a friend who was going to move an Airstreem with his GL over Willamette Pass, Oregon . I told him I thought it was a bad idea.

I'll tow my dirt bike or my Hobie Cat sail boat and thats about it.