Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi folks,  

So I'm planning a road trip in my BRAT in a few weeks, and decided to do a little preventative maintenance.  Had a messy oil leak and a some ticking, so I decided to replace seals and the paper gasket on the oil pump.  I think we all know what happens when you remove an oil pump on these engines...  Now I'm in the market for a new (I wish) or used pump.

I've found two new  and one used one in Greece (car.gr), 12 new in Columbia (mercadolibre.com.co) and one new one in Mexico.  There are a couple of shady looking websites (sabrmarket.xyz; nsbamall.xyz) that claim to have them new, but don't respond to emails.  I've tried just about every salvage yard I can find in the PNW and I'm coming up blank...  Does anyone have a specific salvage yard that they know has one? Or maybe you'd be willing to part with one yourself? 

It's been three weeks of scouring the internet and I've exhausted every option I can think of.  Next step is to see if a skilled machinist/welder friend of mine can weld it back together and then mill off the weld material.  

TL;DR:

If anyone has an EA81 oil pump available (in any condition other than cracked) I would pay handsomely for it.

• 9 months later...
  • 11 months later...

The one I have out in the dark shed has score marks in more places than I like, such as the recess in the main housing where steel rotor spindle sits.

I have pulled it apart and cleaned it. GD reckons it should be tossed, but might save some old buckets for another life time

IMG_20200816_152506.jpg

IMG_20200816_152411.jpg

Edited by Step-a-toe

It's really not that difficult. Try it.

The radiator is just a matter of some hoses. 

The exhaust is just some welding. Any exhaust shop can handle this. 

Electrical.... that's usually the component that separates the men from the boys. 

The flywheel re-drill is simple and not at all "dodgy" as you suggest. Have done plenty of them. Very simple with a mill. 

Adapter plate is available from a variety of sources. 

And the reward for all this is nearly double the HP. Worth it. 

GD

• Like 1

I am trying....had no choice but rush to extract bits before body disposal , so not the best intro to EJ sampling, so got a dirty EJ22 gift-wrapped and spaghetti with not a good diagram support

Also got an EJ20 and it's AWD 5MT sitting in Brumby, working on gearbox cradle, one piece or two tailshaft lip chewing

A space,time, money thing :)

17 hours ago, el_freddo said:

@Step-a-toe - Send us your engine management loom, I’ll cut it down for you mate ;) 

It’s not that hard, you just need to know how to read a wiring diagram and know what to cut and what to keep... the first one is always the hardest. 

Cheers 

Bennie

Wow, thanks Bennie. I really need to be able to do it for myself with time and patience and probably all over the kitchen table :)

Part of my downfall is doing things spread out on the ground, in the sun, crowching not good for the body.

The loom and ecu were pretty crudely removed.

My GF8 ecu and loom removal was better but still rough.

i need to sit down with one of the ecu and draw things up to file away carefully.

Really think uncle's ute is going back to EA82M#2 in the shorter term

14 hours ago, moosens said:

Saw horses and plywood. Getting old here , can tell ya you’ve got to start thinking like you are now. Aches n pains have to be minimized. 

I had a light bulb moment when I saw what I think was OEM loom supplier photos of it all on a wall of peg board or fine mesh with labels and ties