Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I did it! Pics to prove it!

Sweet82

After much flack from the board, I finally took the SubaruHummer out on it's maden voyage! Summer did well, not a single problem reared it's ugly head!

Somethings that did become apparent are; (in no particular order)

It's windy without a windshield!

Cranking the wheel and hitting the gas can fill up the buggy with gravel!

It climbs weird with only one rear axle in!

Feels incredible stable on side slopes.

It turns on a dime! Seems like you can pivot on the inside rear wheel. Actually it takes about 6 feet for the inside rear wheel to make a circle!

The fan turns on alot if you never leave second gear!

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=584

It was great to have my old Subaru "Outback" where it belongs!

Glenn,

82 SubaruHummer---finally out of the garage!

01 Forester---can now get back in the garage!

Sweet!!! is she ready for moab in spring to early summer??? i might have my new suby by then... it depends which i have and when little roo gets back on her feet. if i have little roo II done, then little roo will be up for sell and the creation will go to moab. :D i'm sure lil' roo would love one last huraah! at moab... we'll see if i get leave...

Tires explained

The tires are 26X12X12 the stock tire is around 22" so the tires are over sized. With the 26, I can feel the difference in the gearing. Morgan is correct, gearing IS the reason I didn't go bigger.

The ability to do a sustained climb with no run is important to me/my terrain.

The buggy is a little different than the classic Subaru. Overhang is not a factor so I don't need to lift it like a Sub Chassis. I still have a foot of clearance down the center and my suspension is adjusted all the way down (yes down). The angles of approach are 45 and 71 degrees. What really happened here is rather than lifting the chassis, I just built the chassis higher to begin with. The floor/main frame is about two feet off the ground.

Ya after most everyone on the board telling me to get it dirty, I did. It was Fun! My wife describes it as a four person ATV. That seems fairly close. (I hate to admit this but I spent a little over an hour cleaning it afterwards)

SubaSkeet, I'll post the specks later, here is what I remember, it's 73" wide, I took 15" out of the driveline and I believe it weighs about #500 less than the hatch.

Will, it's kind of a "one of a kind" but it's also a kit! This was based off the RhinoBuggy Bandit kit. Which was copied from the Scorpion tactical vehicle. As far as I know it's the only one in the US. (Build one!) Oobnucker, I made a timelapse documentation on the build process.

http://usmb.net/gallery/albuo21

Happy to share the doo'z and dont'z with anyone interested.

Rooinator, it's Moab ready! I'll be down there in a month or so doing a little recon for spring???

Couldn't have done it with out the board!

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer, now a seasoned pro! (well it's been out once)

01 Forester, still a little jealous....