Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Gotta have some Old School Representation....

WJM

I know this is kinda my fault for being on the right coast...but really, there is no 'meets' of any sort over here out east...except for the car show in PA and one of the east coast meets that I cannot seem to get to...and once upon a time, Pleaides had an RX...so that constituted old schoolness...and Warp3. So thats when I started going to the NASIOC South east meets...usually there is a meet once a month in Western NC, sometimes a meet in Charlotte, and usually once or twice a month the people in the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area get together during the week....

Lately Ive been going to all the NASIOC stuff I can with the wagon. I seem to be pretty well accepted there, as I have become good freinds with some people.

Ive not been involved in the soap opera of the supposid "war" between NASIOC and USMB...but do here that there is one for the folks in the PNW area....while it IS true that its natual for the people who own the newer car to look down upon the older ones...and the owners of the cars tend to be a complately different demograph them selves....there ARE those who are mized in the groupe...some of us have the newer cars...a few of us even have STi's...some of us have WRX's...some of us RS...others plain jane EJ cars...some of us have the lifted super 4x4 rigs...some lightly modded 4x4 rigs...some of us plain jane 4x4 or 2wd rigs...some look great, others are suffering from rust and paint fade....

Then there are the small group of those who have the uncommon GL-10's and RX's and build them for power and handling....then those who just have them and not modded...

Whatever the case may be, and tho our interests are different, there is a few things in common that SHOULD bring the people of all SUBARU message boards together...SUBARUs, and the individual personalization of one's SUBARU (aka MODS).

While its true that said WRX/STi owner may not know what a nissan transfer case or BYB/PK lift is....its also true that said 4x4 rig owner may not know what a ECUtek is....and so on....

I encourage ALL of us to intertwine with all SUBARU enthusiasts everywhere, and bring the SUBARU community together, and to make is larger...to make our voices not be scattered and few...but to make a larger and more unifying one...from there we can really get our part into the picture and further enjoy being a SUBARU owner/enthusiast!

Dscf3234sm.jpg

Dscf2192.jpg

Represent !_!

Good to see oldschool Subarus at these types of events. I've been more active in a local MN Subaru comunity. Also joined the MN 4WD Association and I'm quite active there. Think im the only active member who offroads a Subaru. I get lots of funny looks from the Jeep and fullsize guys but what do you expect :-p

its fun bein parked next to stis, and wrxs and have the kids come over and look the hood of a brown 86 hatcback.

I went to a meet in my BRAT and they were tripping over the fact that I had the spare in my hood.

I get good responses from the New Gen crowd at the meets I go to.

Then again I have always been an oddball. Went to an I-Club meet once in my OBS all dirty and w/KC's on my luggage rack.

BW

I have no problem with the newer subarus or the older ones either. Almost al are sisters and brothers following beat of a different drummer. I have developed a prejudice regarding WRXs, but that has to do with the kids that are buying them locally and treating them like Hondas that can actually go fast. :grin: Trend seems to be enough money to finance, but not enough brains/maturity to drive safely.

I often wonder how many new WRXs will be around in 5 years, let alone 20-30 years. Just don't see it happening. :(

Me, I am looking for a Brat for my son and a cheap Legacy for my wife. If a WRX appeared in my driveway I wouldn't send it away!!! It's all good. :banana:

It doesnt matter to me what it is as long as it says Subaru..if one day I win the lottery and can afford to buy a new one I will..but in my opinion they are the best car you can buy for the money..in the old cheap range.

I think alot of the WRX kids can appreciate the old ones though...I pulled into a WRX show awhile back and drove up to the punkiest (I know its not a word but u know what I mean)kid there and asked where my class was.. It took him a moment plus when I said the "unrestored,high mileage,grocery go getter,go slow" class he busted out laughing and told me to park next to him and pop the hood.

A few of them did come over and look at Bucky and even had kind words to say about him.

I still am a firm believer...once Subaru is in your blood,it doesnt matter what it is,it is appreciated.

Hey! Is that a pickup/SUV meet going on in the next lot??? (WJM's pics)

You got it ALL goin' on there! LOL

We were in the back lot of Performance SUBARU in the Chapel Hill NC area...big GM/BMW/Porsche and SUBARU dealer. MANY new STi's there...along with enough Legacy GT's for us to use two of them as ride and drivers for the day.

I had high praises for the GT automatic....BUT...the shifter in the floor is BACKWARDS! Need to the upshift is back...not forward!

I get a lot of responces from the new crowd with my ea82t gl10. They also laugh at the spare tire, but even I think that is funny.

The honda kids are the ones that think it is the poo. They can't believe that it has a JDM turbo motor in it and they all insist I swapped it in there from a wrx or something. Even though I tell them it is a stock motor from japan from this very car, they don't believe me. They also think it is fast, until I let them ride in it(darn fuel cut and rich running motor)

No one of this Subaru Club was interested in my old school Subaru!

They said, that it looks ugly and they are not interrested because it is not that fast.:banghead:

There were 8 Impreza Turbos, 1 SVX, 1 Legacy Turbo and my 89 Subaru Leone Super Station.

In Austria, no one is interested in old school Subarus, they laugh at my because I like my Leone.:-\

Greetings

I have no problem with the newer subarus or the older ones either. Almost al are sisters and brothers following beat of a different drummer. I have developed a prejudice regarding WRXs, but that has to do with the kids that are buying them locally and treating them like Hondas that can actually go fast. :grin: Trend seems to be enough money to finance, but not enough brains/maturity to drive safely.

I often wonder how many new WRXs will be around in 5 years, let alone 20-30 years. Just don't see it happening. :(

Me, I am looking for a Brat for my son and a cheap Legacy for my wife. If a WRX appeared in my driveway I wouldn't send it away!!! It's all good. :banana:

WRX = "wrecks" when you say it out loud... 'nuff said

I use my vehicle as a support rig for my shop's demo vehicle and my best friend's showcar. She's not lifted, but it still gets a lot of looks and a lot of comments. Most of my friends own showcars, and even though an old Subaru is totally not their style, they still respect it, as I respect theirs. That's what matters - we may not have the same cars, but we respect each other.

They said, that it looks ugly and they are not interrested because it is not that fast.:banghead:

There were 8 Impreza Turbos, 1 SVX, 1 Legacy Turbo and my 89 Subaru Leone Super Station.

In Austria, no one is interested in old school Subarus, they laugh at my because I like my Leone.:-\

Greetings

and they just need to see WJM's rig :grin:

Greetings

Don't worry man, they just don't know what they're missing, hang in there, we all know you've got the coolest car in the group!

i think it comes down to what you like more. rallyx/racing, or true offroading. speed and no clearance, or slow and mo' clearance. some lift, some lower. if given the chance i think to have both types of cars would be the best mix. either way, it takes work to get it where you want it. or, get it where it should be.

yeah I get people asking me why I would ever wanna build my Brat...well to tell ya the truth, who has built a mean on-road Brat here in the states? I know about all the STi Brats or the "LegaBrat" but thats still not minitrucked. Who else has come up with the crazy idea to put a Nissan frame, GM 2.8L, 5-speed, etc. etc. etc. in a Brat and make it run 11 seconds? ME!!!! *see sig for details*

i think it comes down to what you like more. rallyx/racing, or true offroading. speed and no clearance, or slow and mo' clearance. some lift, some lower. if given the chance i think to have both types of cars would be the best mix. either way, it takes work to get it where you want it. or, get it where it should be.

YEA to that!!! I don't care if it's high or low--IT'S STILL A SOOB & WE NEED TO PROMOTE IT TO EVERYBODY!!!