Ultimate Subaru Message Board

adding fog lights

where/how did you guys run the wiring for the lights on your roof racks?

i have a yakima rack, and lights bolt easily to that, but do you run the wires up the a pillar and then drill a hole through the rain gutter?:confused:

I, too, have been contemplating this, how did you guys do it?

lol, my car USED to have those factory lights under the bumpers, yea, I'll never mount anything I want in one piece down there again.

Yea you have to be a little more carefull if you mount them low, I have always been told that that lower the lights are the better, gets under the fog. Picked myself up a center (passing) light dash switch and used that as a relay/switch taping into the headlight wire right before the fuse box, then ran a wire with fus to the switch. Not sure if this is the correct way to do it. But it seemed to work, might be better to just tap off of the battery or something? Good luck

where/how did you guys run the wiring for the lights on your roof racks?

i have a yakima rack, and lights bolt easily to that, but do you run the wires up the a pillar and then drill a hole through the rain gutter?:confused:

Hopefully I will be building a roof rack with lights for my 85 DL wagon in the near future. My plan is to use the wire for the dome light, and drill a little hole up from there and put a switch in the dome light plastic.

For running a wire straight from the battery, they sell little 12v circuit breakers for RVs that are good protection against fire and having to keep spare fuses. I used a circuit breaker for the brake controller in my truck, and the charging wire to my trailer.

- James B

310roxannelift_005-med.jpg

The front bumper lights came from Wal-Mart for $30 a pair. They're a yellow color and work pretty well. On top are four from Northern Tool and Equipment that ran me $8 each. They're pretty good for the price. I spent more on wire, relays and switches than on the lights themselves. To power the roof lights, I cut a slit in the window gasket on the front right side door, ran the wires through, and sealed it with clear silicone. It looks kinda ghetto up close and leaks a little, but I would get real nervous about drilling through the roof or anything like that. To make the roof rack easily removable, I added a four-pin plug in the wires so I can just disconnect the lights and unclamp the rack mounts if I want to remove the rack.

When I had my air horns on my roof, I just ran the hose down the drivers side A pillar inside the rain gutter and behind the fender. Then I just drilled a hole into the engine compartment and mounted the air compressor right next to the wiper motor. I ended up relocated the horns under the hood cause they kept getting clogged with bugs. Darn mesquitos.

Don't see why U couln't do the same thing with wiring aux lights up there.

withpugs4.JPG

These are all driving lights (round Hella, rect KC)

The ones in the bumper were fitted by removing

the turn signals and rewireing one

lamp in each corner lamp as the TS

All are relay controlled to come on with the high

beams.

All have 100 w lamps fitted

Factory lamps have Sylvaina Ultra vision lamps

My wiring goes up the A-pillar on the inside, through the top left corner of the windshield seal, and up to the roof rack. Works awesome, but I wouldn't recommend trying to cram too much wiring in there. Four 16-gauge wires is a tight squeeze.

When I add more fogs in the future (and maybe a couple antennas), I'll be going through the tailgate to get to the roof.

• 2 weeks later...

I have used both Hella 500(550) series and the Bosch fog lights.

I take the black shield out of the housing andf then reinsert the lightbulb and the area of illumination is fantastic at either 55 or 100Watts. I'm baised toward the gold hue'd lights...my eyes use it better then the white lights. go figure.

the baosch are typically under $50 for the kit. the last set i got were on sale at $36 i think. The Hella's are typically around $65 IIRC.... caio