Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tears came to my eyes this morning....

WJM

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just.....*sigh*.........that.....I.....i dont know....somehow I am glad my wagon is not driveable at this time, because I imagine that I would not drive it for a couple of days for fear of it getting wiped out....and its "safe" at home where nothing can get to it.

And the RX.......*shivvers*

And heres the story over on AWDpirates:

http://www.awdpirates.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2683&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

(Laura, I hope you dont mind that I posted this)

i dont know what hurts more, my ribs from my frined punching me, or seein the brat in that condition.

my thoughts are with you, i only hope you are allright, the brat, although painful to loose, can be replaced, you arent replacable.

good luck recovering from this.

peace

tim c.

I surely hope that Laura is OK...I was in a very similar accident years ago except it was the drivers side that was hit and then the passenger side was wrapped around a telephone pole. As hard as it seems to say...1 less Gen 1 brat is better than 1 less Laura.

Just another reason why I love Subarus though....Lauras Brat gave its life to protect her....They always seem to take care of those who take care of them.

Ugh, I knew which Brat it was before I even clicked on the link. That was truly one of the nicest if not the nicest one I've ever seen. It was actually that page that inspired me to take mine off the road and start to restore it (and also paint it red!). I'm sorry about the loss but very glad to hear she is alright, thats the important thing.

Glad to hear she is OK

The fact it was a Dodge POS Dakota that did it doesn't give me much solice - I hate to see accidents like that - especially when they destroy a classic - T-boners are the worst (I know that better than I would like to).

She can find another first gen soob, I am extremely glad to hear that she made it out alive. I hope she does get physical therapy or something, because there can be massive internal damage done to muscles and joints in an accident like that, which will take weeks or months to appear. My mom was in a similar accident, and it took her YEARS to recover.

A first gen Subaru would not be my first choice for the car to be in if I were in one - they are VERY rugged and sturdy overall, but the side-impact accident stability on pre-Legacy soobs is not very good. though they will tear through anything in a front or rear impact accident (mine has been the destruction of 3 other cars - not the Soob driver's fault either).

This is the first time I have heard of a soob rolling in an accident, must have been high-speed.

Crap. i just re-posted.

I don't care.

I am so sad.

My brat..

You all are so nice. you are so considerate. thank you for your prayers; no one understands like you do. I am crying my eyes out as i write this; less about my brat and more for your stories and well-wishes. I didn't know i had a fan club, seriously. Everyone here always told me it was a slow piece of crap. I had to agree, it was slow, and it was a beer can, but i only had 2 weeks with those seats in the back, and the Sunday prior i got the axle in so i'd only driven her 4 days without the clicking.

Oh Lord, I miss her so much

I can't rebuild her, the engine tranny drivetrain is still bueno but the body work. oh my... She was so pretty

Some one in heaven's looking out for me. GOt bruises as one wouldn't think necessary and a sprained knee. but they grow back, the steel doesn't.

I started stripping her today. watching the Daytona 500 and crying. cut myself up real good trying to get myself out before they used the jaws of life.

Oh, and Russ, both Tailights are still good

I <3 you WJM

As I stated earlier - brats (yes, even gen 1's) are replaceable - people are not, we are all overjoyed to hear you are alright.

Take it easy tomorrow you will feel like crap from the physical shock of the accident if you haven't already - been there.

I'm sorry, I know this has been a MAJOR disappointment :( - I can't imagine that happening to any of the cars I have really restored - and I hope it doesn't :-\

I guess I put myself at risk for that kind of disappointment because I drive the same soob my family has owned for 20 years - long story but I am actually the reason they got it - and I wasn't born when they got it either :D - so I am very attached to my soob!

well hopefully I can get her another Brat that is acutally down her direction. I heard it needs a tranny but hey, she still has the drivetrain from her old Brat. *sigh* I talked to her last night and she said she was crying over it. Yeah I would too!!!

Oh and its nice to know that the tailights are still good;)

Laura, I would like to take this opportunity to thank GOD in Heaven above that you are ok. I will continue to pray for you and everyone here, people that I know, and those that I don't until I draw my last and final breath. My wife and I will be in Fayetteville in about a week and a half. I'll keep my eyes open for another first gen Brat for you, especially when we go up to Virginia(to my in-laws property). There are Subarus everywhere up there! And I am pretty sure I can talk someone out of one there. So keep your chin up. The pain only lasts a short while, but memories last a lifetime.

Patrick

glad to hear your ok Kiddo was worried for a bit and rest, rest, rest, and oh yeah rest then do the physical therapy if they say you need it so you can survive Basic and then the Acadamy (that is also the reason why I worried about ya kid cause it would be great for you to graduate and become a officer in the AF)

anywho when you are on and if you see me on AIM just say hi and stuff

Tragic and great all at the same time. Wanted to say I'm very glad you escaped with minor damages. As the rest said if there is anything you need let us know and we'll do our best to help you. Your BRAT was sweet...and I have a feeling you'll be back in one in no time ;) God speed on the healing.

Prolly just needs some new headlights, grill, and has lots of Brat paint on the bumper :mad:

Actually I was expecting it to be in worse shape than the brat - particularly if it is a newer model.

I actually saw a dakota run into an econobox once while I was walking down a nearby sidewalk, guess who came out on top :lol:

The dakota's framerails were bent very badly, and the whole side was really caved it - much like on the brat - and that was a low speed (20 or fewer mph) accident. I bet that econobox weighed much less than the brat, even if it was rusty. If is an older dakota, it may be ok, but I have never acused Chrystler of making anything quality (well, at least in the past 25 years). Look at some of the wrecked ones the next time you are in a junkyard - you would be amazed at how shoddy the craftsmanship and design for the body is - look at where they bend and buckle - their minivans and small cars are the worst. All they go for is the aesthetics, and even those aren't too good.

REgarding the dodge, this was a very high speed incident; 60 mph..

The dodge is pretty okay compared to my little beer can (forgive me, but it was);

~Pull the radiator fan out of the water pump and put a new front end and she was good to go. American muscle right there.

I'm not really looking for another subie; just a daily driver so i can get out of ma's taurus wagon (ewwww) I don't have time to restore another brat, i'm going to be leaving my house soon and dad's going to replace me with a chevelle restoration project. I have a car in minnesota, a '79 Malibu (V6- no bueno), but i don't really feel like a road trip up to the motherland for a rust bucket.

Found a $900 impala, i am thinking so. 350, baby... Oh no, this is not the place. Nevermind that.

A beer can saved me this time, next time odds are that a big american tank will save me.

I thought it was high-speed - Subarus don't get sliced through like butter in car accidents.

I guess it was also an older model dodge.

Even if your soob was a beer can, it was a well-designed one to withstand that accident and get you through to tell the tale.

A word of caution about American tanks - make sure that it has FULLY OPERATIONAL sholder belts, and not just lap belts - lap belt only can do NASTY stuff to your back if you are in an accident again. And of course, a rust free body.

I restored a '67 Chevelle Malibu with a friend about three years ago - nice car - it was a red convertable with a black interior :cool:

nice car, but not safe

If I wanted a tank, I would go with an old Mercades-Benz diesel from the late '80s or early '90s - nasty, but indestructable, cheap to run, and reliable

who knows, you may find one with air bags and ABS - even better

- oh and remeber to time the 0-60 with the minute hand on the watch

Hope you still drop bye occasionally :)

I hope that she is alright since the damage seems very extensive.

To Laura:

May GOD be with you in your time of need. Although I don't personally know you, I will keep you in my prayers always. I pray that any injuries that you may have sustained, will heal quickly and that you will make a full recovery. I also pray that GOD may keep you in his ever loving hands forever. I ask this in Jesus's name, Amen.

My deepest regards,

Patrick

Praise the Lord