Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Free Loyale? Yeah Right!

yesterday i found out that my neighbour is giving away a "free" 1992 Loyale sedan. i stopped by with my dad and asked the guy and he said it was smogged and stuff. when we where ready to drive it home the car's engine rotated but wouldn't go. we took a look at it and the engine looked fine we even put some gas in it and you nothing nada. as my dad overlooked the engine i looked at the papers and saw no pink slip. the guy even cheated the registration by putting a 2005 sticker when it actually it has been expired since Mar 2003. the guy got mad because we didn't take it. i just wanted your opinion on this. i think it was a good idea to leave it because i think it's a lemon.

here's a brief description of the car:

1992 Loyale sedan,auto tranny 4WD, has 116k on the ticker no rust.

Yeah,

What the hell? Someone offers you a free non stolen car with title, and you say no? You get picky? comeon, you can tinker with it, and if you dont want to spend the $$ to make the car run and then sell it for like $1k, you can part it and make the money. Jeeze, I'd start towing it away before the guy changed his mind.:rolleyes:

Im on buddys side here.

no pink slip means no title. no title means who knows whats the real deal on the car.

no start. not good.

wrong tags on the car will land you in big trouble too if you got pulled over.

If you just want it for parts fine. grab it.

it sounds to me like you are looking for a car to drive. and this is not the one.

Prolly best you left it. Sounds like the guy was trying to scam it off for "free". I just got rid of a "free" Loyale myself; but it was strictly for parts then off to the junkyard. If that's all you wanted out of that Loyale you found then it might be worth yoru time but anyway you cut it; that thing is going to cost you money.

Since you can sell cars for $100 or more to a junk yard, I would be kind of concerned too. Maybe he tried a scam to sell it that didn't work, and now he just wants to dump it on someone else. If the papers were in order, I would say take it; but given the shady details, I say steering clear was the safe action.

Since you can sell cars for $100 or more to a junk yard,

That really depends on the yard. Around here nobody will pay you anything for a car to be hauled off to the junkyard. Some will 'do you a favor' and take it for free. I actually had to pay $50 to get a junkyard to take my "free" Loyale.

Slowly but surely I'm realizing the old statment.... nothing in life is free :(

It's free!

Get a bill of sale and your covered.

If any one has a question there is documentation on it's transfer.

Fix it or carve it up and be happy.

I recycled my old subie at a scrap yard not a junkyard and no one had a problem.

My .02

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer

01 Forester

It's free!

Get a bill of sale and your covered.

If any one has a question there is documentation on it's transfer.

Fix it or carve it up and be happy.

I recycled my old subie at a scrap yard not a junkyard and no one had a problem.

My .02

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer

01 Forester

ok so if he did get a bill of sale that just means he paid for a untitled car. the previous owner has to fill out a form stating that he lost the title still to get a new title. Thats the only way to get a new title with out forgery. that may cost some too.

the car will have at least 2 years of registration back fees and fines. the new owner will have to take care of that too according to Ca. law.

then there is the matter of the car not running.

its also an auto transmission that is known to fail.

so worst case this car could cost up to 3 or 4 thousand dollars to make drivable depending on what work it needs done to make it go and keep it going.

If im not mistasken you can find similar cars that run and are registered for around 1,000$. Or less if they want you to take care of smoging it(evin though its the sellers responsibility).

pass on it unless you want it for parts. As stated there are no real valuable parts on it if you tried to part it out for cash. probably just the rear diff and the motor.

ok so if he did get a bill of sale that just means he paid for a untitled car. the previous owner has to fill out a form stating that he lost the title still to get a new title. Thats the only way to get a new title with out forgery. that may cost some too.

the car will have at least 2 years of registration back fees and fines. the new owner will have to take care of that too according to Ca. law.

then there is the matter of the car not running.

its also an auto transmission that is known to fail.

so worst case this car could cost up to 3 or 4 thousand dollars to make drivable depending on what work it needs done to make it go and keep it going.

He didn't pay for anything. Get the car, see if you can get it working. Registration is not the issue, why would you pay any registration fees if you can't get it running?

If it does get running then start assessing whether it's worth putting money in. I don't think anyone would sink 3-4k in a free car. I wouldn't invest much more than a cheap tune up.

Fix it up or carve it up! Drive it till it quits and then walk... :lol:

here's another thing. the guy was all nice at first. he just kept on insisting for us to take it. he told us that he'd push it if it did'nt start. (i live 1/2 a block away from him anyway) when we went to "pick it up" it still did'nt start. and you know my dad told me to just ditch it. anyway it was a 1992 Loyale and i have an 85 GL so there's not many parts i can use. ( honestly what pissed my dad and me off was that the guy lied and kept twisting his stories until he removed the "2005" sticker and revealed the true sticker. :mad: )

Im on buddys side here.

no pink slip means no title. no title means who knows whats the real deal on the car.

no start. not good.

wrong tags on the car will land you in big trouble too if you got pulled over.

If you just want it for parts fine. grab it.

it sounds to me like you are looking for a car to drive. and this is not the one.

hey thank russ i knew my fellow san jose resident would back me up!

(miss san jose to be honest. i was born there and we moved to manteca about 9mos. ago:confused: :mad: :-\ ) sorry about the smilies i was just being sarcastic :rolleyes: .

Glad I don't live in Cali!! Geez, here in Idaho it's like $25 for a title search and $7 for a title app. If it was here, I'd have taken the car home, called the Sheriff and had them run the VIN and explained the situation to them. If the car was hot or something they'd have been happy for the help recovering it. If not, they'd already have verified the VIN for me and I'd have a new project for nearly free!!

Glad I don't live in Cali!! Geez, here in Idaho it's like $25 for a title search and $7 for a title app. If it was here, I'd have taken the car home, called the Sheriff and had them run the VIN and explained the situation to them. If the car was hot or something they'd have been happy for the help recovering it. If not, they'd already have verified the VIN for me and I'd have a new project for nearly free!!
believe me you would not want to have your car registered here my friend. my state i very very strict on that!

And in Oregon, thers always the possibility or a lien tying up the title. I bought mine without a title cause the deal was with my mail-mans sister. Thought I could trust her. she said the title was clear, but lost. So it should have been no more than 50 bucks to apply for lost title. Turned out she had a lein from a loan company. Now in this case, the lein was paid up but she never paid the dough to DMV to get the title tranfered to her name exclusivly.

The finance company who still held security interest holder had sold out to someone else. Was VERY hard to track down the new owners. But I did. They sighned off since no moneys were owed. Took time.

Had money still been owed, I would have had to have paid the lein off to claim title. I was lucky. Could have got totally screwed. (I now have clear and legal title)

Lesson learned. I will never, ever fork over any cash untill title issues are cleared up.

Free? Well yea, thats a little different. Still, who needs the headache?

Pyro

Cant beat free. Go back and get it with a bill of sale. You would bne stupid to not get it.

Ive paid ~500 each for 3 RX's that needed a TON of work. I didnt have any issues.

I also paid $100 for a DL wagon...complain? no. It was cheap and in 20 mins it ran perfectly.

Cant beat free. Go back and get it with a bill of sale. You would bne stupid to not get it.

Ive paid ~500 each for 3 RX's that needed a TON of work. I didnt have any issues.

I also paid $100 for a DL wagon...complain? no. It was cheap and in 20 mins it ran perfectly.

well yeah that's what my dad said about free. we can get the car running that's no problem what the problem is is that it could be stolen or whatever be cause the guy never transfered it to his name. now if i would've gotten it with the title and proper papers i would be taking iyt appart right now and i would be using info from you guys but it didn't happen.

• 1 month later...

i just remembered something i totally forgot about this car. i mentioned that it had an auto tranny right? right! now what i forgot to say was that i put the ignition in acc. and tried to move the shifter i had to use the shift lock over ride button to move it out of park. how do you like that?:lol: ah thats just plain funny!

i agree with jeffast its just a crappy car. to make it up its still sitting there on the street just where i found it.:rolleyes: that car is dead:dead: . unless any junkyard is interested. i think not even them.