Ultimate Subaru Message Board

4WD into RWD

if nothing is driving the front wheels, there is no reason for anything to bind in the rear.

What you need to do is take apart your CV shafts... nothing needs to be on the transaxle end, cause that has sealed stubshafts.. you DO however need the spindle end. if you take off the outer CV boot, put the axleshaft in a vice and hammer the crap out of the inner ball carrier (preferrably with a brass punch so you dont destroy the surfaces incase you decide to use the parts in a future project) the whole assembly will eventually slide off (it has to overcome a spring clip on the splines) once the outer joint is off, you can rotate the thing around and start removing the balls till all of them are out, then if you fidget with the carrier turning it sideways you can get that out to. So now you have an empty CV cup that you can stick back in the knuckle & hub.

no the rear diff wont bind

since the rear is open, and the front is open, any differences in wheel speed will transfer across the car diagonally

now, one of the axles on the front will be locked in with one of the axles on the rear. so this means that when you are turning, the axle that is MISSING will take up the slack and expell it to thin air, the other axle on front will be going withthe free spinning wheel on the inside of hte rear while turning.

so when you are turning the power to the outside wheel that is sriving the car wil be transferred to the free axle stub in the air

now the one thing youDONT want to do is try to go betwin 2wd and 4wd while rolling, because the front diff will not be engaged withteh front wheels, and engaging or disengaging will grind the center locking gear because of the differences of speed between a rolling rear diff and an idle front

now, thisa would be safe at a stop, but there is no need to do so

once its in 4wd(rwd) it will stay engaged all the time unless you move the lever, and it wont pop out lie say, going too fast in reverse and it pos into neautral

if you have a dual range tranny with hi and lo, you can go between hi and lo in and out all day long and not hurt anything, since both hi and lo will still be engaged as 4wd(rwd).

so you can leave it in hi for cruising or drop it into lo for holeshots

nope, never heard of anyone stripping out their transfer case doing this, it seems to have been designed to take 100% of the power either way. the guys running a second, devorced t-case run it off of the rear output on the tranny alone, then have a seperate, external front diff below the transaxle. and I haven't heard of any of them damageing the subie t-case.

With 13" tires on a RWD Roo, you should not ever have any problems.....There have been a few thrashed Trannies due to the rear being engaged and Wheel spin coming to an abrupt halt in a Hard traction situation......

I drove a 4 speed Hi-Lo in RWD half way across America due to a failed front axle once....No issues with it ever.....

Have fun, John

P.S. a wagon or hatch in RWD on snow or ICE is a BLAST...... :eek:

I had removed my front shafts to run pure 4wd to only find that the rear diff isnt strong enough to cope with the stress of running contantly.

Unless we can find a away to strengthin the rear diff i personaly wouldnt do it again or ever again after the bill (parts only) i just recived to repair my rear diff.

I had removed my front shafts to run pure 4wd to only find that the rear diff isnt strong enough to cope with the stress of running contantly.

Unless we can find a away to strengthin the rear diff i personaly wouldnt do it again or ever again after the bill (parts only) i just recived to repair my rear diff.

How many km's did your rear diff have on it before dieing, did you ever thrash it much in 4wd and then later in rwd?

i love my rwd. i drive to the offroad spot in rwd. put in the front axle, then 4x4 it. (partialy because i have a front bearing going out)i have no problems with the rear end, or xfer case.

on the CD morganm and i are making... there will be a video of me doing a three circle burnout, on dry pavement, with 28 inch all terrain tires, and an open diff. its the coolest =]

edit: i've driven in rwd for 13k miles, with 24 inch tires, and a 1.8.

and now with the 28s and a 2.7

fun fun

• 2 months later...
How many km's did your rear diff have on it before dieing, did you ever thrash it much in 4wd and then later in rwd?

The rear diff only had about 2000 kms on it due that it was just rebuilt with new bearings and seals.

No i didnt trash the car due to i din't know wat would happen to the rear diff.

I think the rear diff should hold up just fine as long as you arent roasting just one tire. Datsun 510 guys run subie diffs in the rear all the time and thats a RWD car. Just dont spend all day buring off the right rear, and then hit a high traction area... you may break something then. Drive normal or maybe a little spirited and you should be fine.

I still want to RWD one of my brats someday.

Hay i did this last week to my brumby then took it scrubbin near home and got stuck (figgers!) got over that log and got to the dirt track:brow: . yelled Hang the f**k on to my bro and his mate in the back and cut into some serious doughnuts into figger 8's then stopped jumped out yelled out dat's da s**t son with an ear to ear grin. Had too much fun, so i jumped back in and did some 2nd gear power slides around a post up to a tight hairpin did a 1st gear opposite lock slide and did a few more of them then let my bro have a go while i rode my cosins new WR426. Drove around for a fair while just rippn it up them went home.

The point to this is that it works and i never broke a thing!!! it was hell sick and i loved every minute of it. :brow::lol::drunk:

Just dont spend all day buring off the right rear, and then hit a high traction area... you may break something then. Drive normal or maybe a little spirited and you should be fine.

Arch floors it all day and didnt blow up anything in RWD. This is with an ER27 engine feeding lots of torque to that 4MT and rest of the drive train. Subaru's are tough :drunk: