Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Accel superstock coil

There has been quite a bit of talk on this. Do a search and also look here http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/article.php?a=87.

Accel super stock coil is the same size as a stock coil. a Super Coil is a lot bigger and is made of some sort of Yellow plastic, but will bolt in the stock location, I put one on my Brat. I haven't driven it, to tell you that the performace has increased, but it does seem to start better.

The old EA performance article by Subiemech went into some depth as to why these coils are better than stock. Apparently these new high voltage coils misfire a lot less than the factory ones. That, plus being able to run a wider gap, helps to at least make it smoother and improve drivability. Like carfreak, I've had good luck with the MSD Blaster coil, specifically the high vibaration model. The accel coil is filled with oil for cooling and stuff, while the MSD hi-vibe is completely filled with epoxy in order to accomplish the same job. When the accel lays flat, the oil doesn't cover everything, and they tend to burn out.

To answer your question about performance; don't expect much... or anything that you can tell by the seat of your pants. Only reason I run one is becuase I had bought it for my old 472ci V8 and never put it in. Found it one day and poped it into my Subaru. Didnt notice any difference in performance.

I've heard things about the taiwanese manufactured Accels crapping out on people, and the US made ones didnt fail quite as often. Apparently production had been switched quite a while ago. Now the used one I just bought says "Made in USA". I hope this means I'm good. :rolleyes:

Don't do it, I had one for about 20 driving hours and it crapped out on me. The company won't even stand behind them! I had a customer service guy tell me I was lucky it lasted as long as it did!

I've heard things about the taiwanese manufactured Accels crapping out on people

I heard the same thing, once they started making them out of country they turned to crap. I'm back to OE and loving it!

Accel Super Coil is oil filled and can be mouted in any position.

If they dont totally fill it with oil and you mount it horizontally it can leave an air buble over a bulk of the wirings and lead to overheating of the windings. This might explain why some people get stranded because of it and some ppl swear they can mount it at any angle with no bad effects. Luck of the draw, just a thought?

If they dont totally fill it with oil and you mount it horizontally it can leave an air buble over a bulk of the wirings and lead to overheating of the windings. This might explain why some people get stranded because of it and some ppl swear they can mount it at any angle with no bad effects. Luck of the draw, just a thought?
Read!! Super Coil - Not Super Stock coil. Two different animals.

Ok,

So I've already jumped off this bridge as it were.... I baught myself a yellow accel coil(since it was yellow) and put it in my car. It Idles much smoother, but with what you guys are saying I need to mount it vertically... Whats the best/easiest way of doint this? Using one bolt hole and turning the mount? I should also hit up Rick too cuz I baught him one for his B-day:banghead: