Ultimate Subaru Message Board

5spd tranny swap BIG PROBLEMS!! revised!

Hi all, Well I put in the 5 speed tranny the other day and installed the rear driveline. I started it up today and tried TRIED to go up and down the street. WELL the sound is horrendously loud from the tranny. It is making terrible noises while turning. It will only drive in 4wd drive all the time. Lots of crap happening here! I noticed the driveline is in pretty tight, end to end. Should there be some slippage or allowance. I cannot do much about that except to trim the front of the driveline going into the tranny. I can trim the front of the shaft a bit. But all the noise! Anyone got any ideas.

NON-DRIVE-ABLE!

Rich :banghead:

couple things to check.. gear oil? tranny ratio (front diff/rear diff) the same? was the tranny out of a known drivable car? is it a FT 4wd? or part time 4wd?

sounds like you have a broken tranny.. if not then something is seriously binding up bad.. or do you have severly broken front axles?

I got it from a GL 85. I assumed it was not a full time 4wd. Should the driveline to the back driveline always move? No I think. Seems like the tranny may be bad. Oh I will be pissed if it is! I just lengthened my driveline for 110.00! I have heard nothing but great things that this could be done for the hatchback and now that I have spent all the money for weeks now just to come to this point! (*&^%$

I will try to hang in there but I am pretty frusterated right now!

Rich

yes, the driveshaft to the rear always spins becuse of the rear wheels. only when you pull it into 4wd will it lock together with the front...

if you installed the driveshaft without having to move the tranny or rear diff, you should be fine. ( just put in a new lengthened one today....)

make sure your 4WD selector is in the proper position. if it only drives in 4WD, you will definitely get lots of knocks and chirps, and clicks on the pavement like that, especially when turning.

if the 5 speed is like the 4 spd, there is a "neutral" spot between 2wd and 4wd, and if your shifter isn't allowing you to get all the way into 2wd, it will just let you sit there...

Make sure the diff and tranny ratios match. The tranny is a 3.9, theres a tag on the back of the diff telling the ratio.

Mick is spot on with the 4wd selector, if its inbetween 4LO and 4HI I dont think it will go anywhere. Even if the driveline is tight I dont it would bind stuff up that bad. Can you get it into 2wd?

I can drive it up the street and it sounds like rocks in a bucket. Crunching sounds, so I guess I got screwed on the 5 speed(*&^%$.

I think the lever I put in to pull the 4wd all the way back to 2wd does not do that. I took the lever off and manually pulled the linkage back and it just sounds reallly really bad. NOW I HAVE TO FIND ANOTHER 5SPEED. Or tear ionto this and see about parts. Any body got one THAT WORKS!!??

RICH:-\

I just looked at my differential in the back, and it says 3.900 does that mean I just ground all these gears? How can I find out the diff ratios on the tranny from an 85 GL?

BTW I never hooked up the electrical, would that be a problem?

Rich

I just looked at my differential in the back, and it says 3.900 does that mean I just ground all these gears? How can I find out the diff ratios on the tranny from an 85 GL?

BTW I never hooked up the electrical, would that be a problem?

Rich

Ok, your diff is the same ratio as your tranny, The elctrical won't have an affect on how the tranny performs, Is it a d/r tranny or push button 4WD?

~CHIM~

I bet the front diff is gone.

Are the axel seals leaking, any gear oil in there?

Most common problem with these older subaru's is the axel seals go, they dont get fixed and people run them out of gear oil, then the front diff starts to lock up.

Okay, here we go, I had my son walk next to me and I drove slowly and he thought that maybe the grinding is the front discs because they were low. SO I went to find the brakes at Autozone and of course they were WRONG! SO I had to get brakes for an 84 instead of my 87. I changed them and still found the noise to be there, a grinding crunching. SO I had one other idea. I took off the boot to the linkage....I took another spline from the front of another driveline and removed the front part and placed it in behind the tranny and observe it. We drove around ......no scraping crunching and grinding sounds.

I watched the front part of the yoke from the opening and it wasn't turning, so I knew it was in 2wd. When we got back I noticed a great scrape mark on the driveline. We placed it back and identified it as piece of metal from the linkage that I altered.

Now after reinstalling the driveline (making a new connector piece ) I have driven it around and MAN does it make a new loud sound, IS THIS NORMAL? I have heard that the tranny will make it seem like you have a big block, but this is still loud in all gears. Not grinding just loud LOUD!

So there it is! Any suggestions?

Rich:-\

Its a little tough to diagnose car sounds over the computer :-p

I would say jack up all 4 tires (safely) and run the car thru the gears and see if it makes the same noises. I've heard front hubs that were stripped out make sounds lke this, but the tire wont move if thats the case. If you had a issue with the driveshaft scraping, I would be looking more into that. Also on how much you tweeked the linkage, it could cause gears to no match.

Btw, what flywheel and clutch did you use? Are the bell housing and tranny mated together tightly?

does this thing have the center bearing support on the rear driveshaft? could the bearings in that support make all that noise? never seen it happen before but they are a big set of bearings and i've heard other bearings makes plenty of noise. does the sound increase with RPM or speed?

If you are running the EA81 clutch and flywheel, you need to put in 3mm spacers (washers) between the starter motor and the flywheel housing.

Otherwise it rubs, LOUDLY!

Hope this helps.

There is a volume button on the stereo that will help as well. (humour)

No I am using the ea82 clutch, flywheel and pressure plate against the ea81 engine. the darn thing seems like it wants to jump out of the car! I cannot explain exactly except to say maybe the top of the tranny is rubbing against the car and the vibration would be increased. STRANGE! Anyone had this SWAP problem in a Hatchback before?

Rich

I may be talking out of my backside here (I don't do EA81s), but I was under the impression that when doing the 5 speed swap, you used the EA81 flywheel and the EA82 disc and PP.

Also, you said they gave you brakes for an 84? Those should be the same as an 87 hatch

so there was no noise with the driveshaft removed?

if the tranny was out of a '85 RX, it would be the wrong ratio, but that doesn't seem to be your problem....

I had a front diff go out once (broke a tooth) and it made the car feel like it was jumping. loud pops, and cracks. sounded horrible, and drove even worse. when it first went, I was on the interstate, and I thought a helicopter was flying low over me, until my shifter started flailing about wildly. I pulled off at the exit I just happened to be at, and it got worse. I had it towed home, and I pulled the tranny drain plug, and tooth came out amongst all the other shavings....

WOW McBrat I hope that doesn't happen. What I heard intially at the start of this thread....is that there was a horrible crunching grinding sound, but I isolated that to be the driveline rubbing on my linkage which was too low. I fixed that and drove it, it shifts fine and all, but jut plain roars! I wish I could send a soundbite (haha!) The tranny is out of an 85. The only brakes for this 87 is from autozone and we had to go back to an 84 model! I am really getting tired of this ORPHAN CAR! I am gonna drive some more tonight. I didn't feel secure enough to drive it to work today! Hey ya know it may be nothin! BUT if you heard it you would question it like I do.

What I need to do is get somebody else to hear it as well and see where their opinion lies!

Thanks Guys!

Rich

FWIW, the engine noise (roar) is louder on mine after the swap. I have different problems with mine than yours sounds like, but be patient and tinker with it when you find time. It'll all work out with time and then you'll be happy you made the exchange.

WOW McBrat I hope that doesn't happen. What I heard intially at the start of this thread....is that there was a horrible crunching grinding sound, but I isolated that to be the driveline rubbing on my linkage which was too low. I fixed that and drove it, it shifts fine and all, but jut plain roars! I wish I could send a soundbite (haha!) The tranny is out of an 85. The only brakes for this 87 is from autozone and we had to go back to an 84 model! I am really getting tired of this ORPHAN CAR! I am gonna drive some more tonight. I didn't feel secure enough to drive it to work today! Hey ya know it may be nothin! BUT if you heard it you would question it like I do.

What I need to do is get somebody else to hear it as well and see where their opinion lies!

Thanks Guys!

Rich

Did you grind off the bell housing areas? it could be rubbing there.....

I did grind the bell housing, my son reminded me after TRYING to install the EA82 flywheel. Nah, I think it must be too close to the tunnel . Think I should DROP my crossmember about 1/2 an inch? Not sure if I can and get the nuts back on.

Rich