Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I did a search in this forum for anything relating to the X-Ice or Blizzac(sp) and could find nothing..that really surprised me since Audi groups are thick with info..does that mean X-ice are not well received by subbie owners?

? I've got a 03 legacy wagon L with 80% wet winter roads and 20% snow conditions to drive in. If I could afford the Finland made Nokian,that would be my choice especially since they are known experts in winter tire technology but alas..my budget dictates the current costco $60 instant rebate on michelins with the X-ice as first choice that is unless I can find some objections?

i have a set of dunlop winter-something or others, they work amazingly.

The Dunlop M3 is considered a Winter Performance Tire and one I'm certainly considering,I'll use whatever set for winter weather only so they should last me for several years..worth the extra few $$ IMO..there are about 5 tires in the Winter Performance catigory so I'm looking for the best deal possible,I've desided not to get a dedicated snow tire like the blizzac or x-ice.

The Dunlop M3 has a $50 rebate (tirerack)..michelin (all tires) $60 instant rebate (costco) so the hunt goes on for a few more days.

When I bought my Subie in Anchorage, spring of 2000, it had a set of studded BF Goodrich Winter Slaloms on it. The studs were the stubby variety with the little zit in the middle of them.

She used them for one winter there and never lost a stud. I know, 'cause me and the wife pulled out every one of them when we got to Germany.

We've used them here every year for about 5 months at a stretch, and they still have LOTS of tread on them. They have a nice footprint, with maybe 40 percent of the tread open.

Starting our third season on a set of Hankooks. Still have all the studs (well, I didn't count 'em, but they look like they're there) too.

Studs help on ice but only ice..the new studless compounds are the way to go since they are also good in dry conditions and don't chew up the roads.

Studs help on ice but only ice..the new studless compounds are the way to go since they are also good in dry conditions and don't chew up the roads.

I have always used studded snows, but I got a set of Blizzaks for the GL this year. I'll give you a report in May..... Around here, winter driving is 90% bare and dry, 5% ice/slush mix, and 5% deep snow. I always wore the studs off mine by the end of the season. My dad got studless snows on his OBW last year, and was suprised by how well they did in the snow, so I decided to give them a try this year.

Zeke

We need studs for our 120' driveway - ALL WINTER. Once we hit the streets, we could do fine without them. In fact, we could do without Subarus, once we get out of our driveway. Montana takes real good care of winter roads. OH, and studs are legal from Nov - May.

I have always used studded snows, but I got a set of Blizzaks for the GL this year. I'll give you a report in May..... Around here, winter driving is 90% bare and dry, 5% ice/slush mix, and 5% deep snow. I always wore the studs off mine by the end of the season. My dad got studless snows on his OBW last year, and was surprised by how well they did in the snow, so I decided to give them a try this year.

Zeke

Your conditions are similar to mine except we don't *usually* get deep snow mostly flurries and a couple of inches,it was this scenario that caused me to reconsider getting the blizzak/x-ice type tire and shop the new compounds called Winter Performance,they are suppose to be much better on drycold or slushy roads but also give good traction in snow and ice..this is more my type of winter needs. From what I understand,the Winter Performance type tires has been in the nortic countries for several years

before it got here,companies like Nokian are excellent *if* you can find them here. They also seem to all carry the higher price tag which I'm trying to deal with and I need to remind myself of all the advantages they offer. :)

I just put on Michelin Ice-X for their second season... ran them late into the spring last year & have them on early this year. THEY WERE GREAT!!! didn't need chains for the first time.... felt safe on the ice (with appropriate caution, of course) COSTCO & cheaper than cheaper (quality) tires.

Try 'em, you'll like 'em.

Later,

Peter

I did a search in this forum for anything relating to the X-Ice or Blizzac(sp) and could find nothing..that really surprised me since Audi groups are thick with info..does that mean X-ice are not well received by subbie owners?

? I've got a 03 legacy wagon L with 80% wet winter roads and 20% snow conditions to drive in. If I could afford the Finland made Nokian,that would be my choice especially since they are known experts in winter tire technology but alas..my budget dictates the current costco $60 instant rebate on michelins with the X-ice as first choice that is unless I can find some objections?

I purchased the Dunlop Winter Sport M3 from Tirerack..naturally they were on sale. :-)

The decision was easier when reading the reviews and user reports on the *Winter Performance* tire group and especially this tire.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Dunlop&tireModel=Winter+Sport+M3

Tirerack currently is offering a $50 rebate or 50 songs(Sony) download on most Dunlop tires.

Hi there. I figured I'd also chime in with my opinion. I bought a set of Semperit Ice Grips last year and absolutely love them (I believe they are Austrian or something). It came to a total of $315 CAD for the tires, with installation and balancing included. I have been very impressed thus far and would definitely buy another set. Keep in mind this price was for 175/70R14 tires, so they were quite small and hence; cheaper. Good luck !

I use the Blizzaks on our van in the winter. The tires are great. Since they are a pretty soft tire they will wear down fairly fast on dry roads compared to other tires. It is nice to not have to wear out studded tires on dry roads and still be ready for the snow when it falls.

Hi there. I figured I'd also chime in with my opinion. I bought a set of Semperit Ice Grips last year and absolutely love them (I believe they are Austrian or something). It came to a total of $315 CAD for the tires, with installation and balancing included. I have been very impressed thus far and would definitely buy another set. Keep in mind this price was for 175/70R14 tires, so they were quite small and hence; cheaper. Good luck !

Those are also known as the Viking Snowtech from Continetal..ConsumersRe

ranked them as best dedicated snow tire in their testing but they also pointed out that a purebred snow tire (Q rated) will wear out very fast in dry road conditions as will all other *snow* type Q rated traction tires but they perform very well in snow naturally.

• 1 year later...

I discovered this year that we've been running Cooper Wintermaster studless tires for FIVE seasons. Time for new tires. We got studless because we live in town and rarely have to plow through snow. If we lived out in the boonies, like my parents, we'd probably get studded tires. Even still, my father refuses to purchase anything but all-seasons for his '03 Outback and has never gotten stuck even when the roads were pure ice. I'd go studless if you're a city driver and studded if you spent more time out on the backroads. I personally prefer a quieter ride and think the studless are better for what I do during the winter - driving in town on either wet, slushy roads, icy roads, snowpacked roads, or dry roads. I don't have to drive up a mountain through a foot of powder - ever. Plus I never throw a stud on the interstate when visiting relatives across the state.

Some people even claim the studless can match a studded tire if not outperform it. Check out this review to see what I mean. Granted the tires are tested on a '02 Jeep :eek: and the review is 4 years old, but the point is made.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/chartDisplay.jsp?ttid=24

IMHO, get a decent set of studless for around $400 (installed).

Dave

I also got a set of Dunlop M3's They're... just.. amazing!!

i went out last night to play in the snow (sledding wise).. on the way out i wanted to see how they gripped... i couldn't spin the wheels w/o spooling the turbo!! :slobber:

I also got the $50 rebate from tirerack ;)

Most of the tires mentioned are dedicated winter tires that don't even have a UTQG wear rating. If you can get the X-Ice for $60 a tire that's a great price.

The Nokian WR is an "all season" with the Severe Duty snow (Mountain/Snowflake icon) rating - the only passenger A/S tire so rated. They're more expensive, though and not sold mail-order or at discounters. But you'd only need one set of wheels and tires. We have them on our minivan because if the weather is really bad, we'd take the Subaru (which has Nokian RSI's).

A lot of folks in moderate climates are using them as dedicated snows, since they last a whole lot longer than tires like the X-Ice or Nokian RSI.

Well, after a winter of using Blizzaks, I can say they perform pretty well.... overall I like them better than studded snows -- must quieter and better grip on the road when it's dry (which is so much of the time here). I still run studded snows on my 4x4 pickup, because it doesn't handle as well and needs all the help it can get in the snow. But I drive the subaru too fast on dry roads to have studs. I did completely wear out my front blizzaks over the summer (drove it maybe 3k miles). So I put Hankook Ipike ones on the front -- very similar, but not quite as soft a rubber. So far, i really like those too. Cheaper than the X-ice at my local tire store ($65 each installed, vs $80 or so)

Nokia Hak 1's and 10's and Cooper Weathermaster st2's (all studded).

Second to that. The Nokias are excellent tires. Here in VT I live on a driveway that has 25% grade, nokias have been the best I've tried. Nordman bought out the 1's tire pattern.

I paid 60 something mounted and balanced for the nordmans.

studded winterforce....use them on both imprezas FWD and AWD....sometimes too much traction that u cant play in the snow

this is the first winter that im using them on my recent aquired AWD impreza L haha...had them on the FWD L for 3 winters only time i spit studs out was when i was going e-brake happy when there wasnt much snow