Ultimate Subaru Message Board

just wondering...

it's just not that spectaculare of a mount job :rolleyes: . Tim

mine either...when I had mine (before it stopped working :rolleyes: ), I literally had it velcro'd to the dash above the heat controls. and ran the wires out from behind the clock.

I'll look for a pic

found one, it's in the dark, but the red display is the CB...

3242PICT0461.JPG

mine either...when I had mine (before it stopped working :rolleyes: ), I literally had it velcro'd to the dash above the heat controls. and ran the wires out from behind the clock.

I'll look for a pic

thanks for the reply guys. i really want to install this puppy in my soobie but i'd like to get an idea on how u and other soobie owners went about installing urs in, radio, antenna and all. pics would help. thanks again ....baggyshorts

I can take some oictues of my install tomarrow. I run a Coobra 29 and have a Wilson 1000 ant. I ran my positive and neg. off of the battery, and mounted it onthe right side of the shifter. Running your pos. and neg. straight off the battery will help get rid of any engine noise that might come through your cb.

Make sure you have a good ant. for your cb and mount it as high as you can.

I have mine mounted on the roof where the (not working) light used to be. I figured since the arial came out the roof right there I may as well put my CB next to it. The other reason I put it there is because the CB I have is huge! like 8" x 10" x 2"... If I want to see the CB I can just use my rear view mirror flick thingy and the i got a perfect vire of the CB (with all the controls and displays backward!) And no, sorry no pics as yet. Maybe when I get it working I'll post some pics of it!

No CB, but I've got a 2 meter ham radio in '89 wagon. Bolted on the shelf on top of the dash on the passenger side. The antenna cable runs up over the sun visor, through the two passenger side grab handles, then through the back hatch opening to a magnetic mount 51" whip antenna in the center of the roof. Being right in the middle of the grounded metal roof should help with the radiation pattern because you've got a better ground plane. Plus it's up on top of the car for a little more height that way too. For power I've just got it plugged into the cigarette lighter -- I know I should hard wire it since it draws 150 watts transmitting on high power, but it's held up fine so far. I've seen one old suby around here with three or four antennas on it. One must be a HF set, because he's got a side mounted antenna thats good 10 feet high on it.

Zeke

Here's a related question: Are the CB frequencies the same as the FRS frequencies. I remember that walkie talkies used to be the same frequencies. Most single channel walkie talkies were sold with CB channel 14 crystals in them. But that's been 20+ years ago and now with the FRS (Family Radio System, I think?) I'm wondering if I can use my FRS walkie talkies to talk to a CB if I put one in my car?

I have a Cobra mounted to my glove box. Screwed the bracket to the glove box. Headunit mounts to bracket. Wish it was closer because there is no autoscanner for channels; I kinda have to lean over and turn the dial. Rather annoying when on the freeway but on the trails we just pick a channel and stick with it so its a nonissue there.

I mounted my CB to the roof of my wagon. But i didnt like how low it sat, so I made a way to mount it tucked inside the roof liner.

Pix:

interior_001.jpg

interior_002.jpg

interior_004.jpg

interior_005.jpg

interior_006.jpg

In order to attatch the CB to the roof, without drilling into the roof, I used a piece of fiberboard. The fiberboard was cut into a large T. If you look at the pictures you can see the bracket for the CB sitting on top of the fiberboard. That way it would be sitting as high as possible. Then if you notice the pattern of screws you can imagine where the rest of the fiberboard is.

Running the wire wasnt too difficult. On EA81's the roof lining is easy to detatch and everything unscrews. I ran the wiring down my passenger side A pillar, except for the CB antenna which ran to the rear passenger window, then out to my Antenna mount. All the wiring is hidden above the roof liner so the final outcome looks very clean and slick.

The CB i have I got from Wal-Mart for $30. Its small and does the job. I spent more on the antenna and mount than the CB. If you dont care about your paint job, magnettic mounts are the way to go.

-Brian