Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Wear seatbelt while wheeling?

SakoTGrimes

I always wear my seatbelt while on the road and most of the time when I'm off-roading, but I take it off in low speed areas where I might need to get out of the car real quick. Also I believe that the seatbelts won't extend when the brake pedal is down. So, is not wearing seatbelts while 4 wheeling a good idea or not?

For actual wheeling I'd never wear the belt. You need to be able to move around and lean out the window and whatnot. Also, when the car is at weird angles the belts will lock up unexpectedly.

Now, ifin I'm gonna go faster than like 10mph, I put on the belt.

Oh yeah, the belts are not affected by the brakes. There's a little balanced pawl that locks up a "ratchet" when the weight of the car shifts.

I hate it...but I took a little seminar type thing before the Crawl 4 the Cure, and the guy said to ALWAYS wear your seatbelt when wheeling. that and keep your thumbs out of the wheel, so if you catch a rut, and the wheel spins, you don't break one...

I hate it, and am starting to not wear it...I dunno.

if i'm in the car, and the engines on, the seatbelt is on, and if there are others in the car, i won't move until there on too.

Word. Even with my automatic seatbelts in the XT6 I still use the lap belt fairly often, especially when going on a rally trip or highway.

I always wear it. I was in a suzuki sami when we rolled it and the driver was spared because I was wearing my belt. He wasn't buckled, and the car came to a stop with me hanging from the belt above him. I doubt he would have felt good if all 230lbs of me had landed on him.

My friend riding in the backseat of my wagon when I wrecked it (offroad) was saved a bit by the belt. He hit the roof and then his seat hard enough to bend it, Probably would have done severe neck damage had he not been belted. Plus, I would have had to figure out how to get a dent out of the roof.

In the ford beater truck, I don't wear them, but that's because I know they are anchored into rust and wouldn't do anything anyways. 4k lbs of truck don't stop to fast anyways.

Word. Even with my automatic seatbelts in the XT6 I still use the lap belt fairly often, especially when going on a rally trip or highway.

fairly often? if you get in a crash with just the automatic shoulder strap, you'll be hung! it's worse than not putting it on at all.

On and Off-road!

When you get out and survey an obstacle it's always hard to get it back on.

When your on steep or strange angle, seat belts don't like to cooperate.

(esp. if you want to lean out, they require some adjusting.)

BUT that's when your going to need them the most!!!

If you are going to go up something ugly, there is potential for unexpected problems.

If everything went as planned, we wouldn't need seatbelts, would we?

My .02

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer--won't move until everyones bolted in! Yes it still has the seat belt chime!

84 GL Mad Max

01 Forester

What I'm saying is that putting on a seatbelt to crawl around at walking speed is like putting on a rubber to get a blowjob. :drunk:

Most off road rolls happen at UNDER 5mph. Most of those rolls have the potential to KILL you.

Sure, it's only 5mph...just like it's only 2500LBS of car coming down on your head when you slip 1/2 out the window. :banghead:

What I'm saying is that putting on a seatbelt to crawl around at walking speed is like putting on a rubber to get a blowjob. :drunk:

Most off road rolls happen at UNDER 5mph. Most of those rolls have the potential to KILL you.

Sure, it's only 5mph...just like it's only 2500LBS of car coming down on your head when you slip 1/2 out the window. :banghead:

And you can still get STD's from oral intercourse.

To wear a seat belt or not is a personal choice. A law in most states I believe. The deal is I would rather have it on and not need it then to need it and not have it on.

It is a very rare occurrance that not wearing a seat belt has saved a life. I have even started wearing the lap belt on the auto belts. Never bothered with it in the past but I use it for rallying so why not driving?

And as far as the STD protection. You don't know who's been there before you!