Ultimate Subaru Message Board

should i or should i not

Last year, on the way to get a christmas tree, in my old 88 sube gl wagon, on the snowy side of a mountain, I got stuck waiting behind the biggest, baddest, black dodge (brand new with big nobbie tires) who had gotten himself stuck on a particularly steep slope. after a few minutes he slid off into the ditch and gave up. I drove by and asked if he needed to borrow my cell phone - he wasnt too happy - said no thanks. and continued my way up another 1/4 mile or so..to the very top of the mountain.. no chains, studs, nothin... passed him again on the way down.

I used to be ashamed of my car when i first got it. cuz it was rough looking and i got no respect. (but it was soo cheap) after that day on the mountain.. i have never thought of getting anything else.. this car can climb over big icy rocks like its got suction cups on its tires!!

Now 3 years later.. gas prices as they are.. 3 members of my extended family (who used to give me no respect) have subarus. (traded in their range rovers, explorers and land cruisers!!)

Your car may not LOOK the coolest-cool isnt a look.. its a state of being.

The coolest cars/people dont need to prove anything to anyone..

keep the faith - your car ROCKS

:)

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have respect here! We love you man... well in a platonic sense I mean. Hang in there and show you're no follower. I'm forty, NEVER made a car payment, and driving my third reanimated subie (Murphy, the $500 87 T-Wag). Learn to play guitar or bass, and then when all the other guys in the band who have "cool" trucks and are trying to put the tarps over their equipment to keep it from getting wet, you're stuff is packed and dry in the wagon. You're already on the road, kickin' it in 4WD to get through the snow as you drive home from the Gig at Bass Lake (s of Yeosemite).

PS. Tarps fall off. Roofs never do... unless you have a Yugo convertible:)

Your car may not LOOK the coolest-cool isnt a look.. its a state of being.

The way I look at it, a car is a way to get from point A to point B. Doing that in a fun fashion, with not a lot of gas, through basically anything that the weather throws at you, is more important than looks.

A Subaru will get you through basically anything.

-=Russ=-

Yeah. I get crap all the time from the guys at the firehouse because of my car.

One who has a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee gives me crap, I just ask him what he does with it, and he says "I drive it to work", so I make fun of him for using a v8 gas hog as a commuter. And when he was changing his oil, he burnt himself on his header trying to get the oil filter off. I laughed.

Another has a 1999 Dodge Ram 2500 and he tells me that my subaru always breaks down and is unreliable. Sure, parts break everynow and then, but when his tranny goes out(which dodge trucks are known for) who will be laughing now, especially when he is paying over $2500 to get it fixed. When I pay about $250 for the tranny and clutch kit. And when he says "Man it cost me $50 to fill up" I laugh and remind him that I pay less for a tank and get more mileage.And he is scared of taking it off road.

I agree with the 250,000 mile point, you never see any cars with 250k on it, unless it is a subaru.

Just ask the Dodge punk how much his daddy paid for his dodge. And how much he has to pay for maintenance parts. Also, ask him how many times dodge has changed the way their drive train is engineered. And make note that subaru still uses it's basic system from the 1970'S!! Because why mess with perfection?

by your profile you are 16, and that should be highschool age. If this guy is from your school, who cares what he says. I realize, now, that people like that in highschool don't matter now, in the real world. Yes, they may make you feel like crap, but that's just because they want you to feel worse than they are.

But in the end, if you really have to have a new-er car, get a Subaru.

In highschool, a few years back. I had a datsun 240z. Wonderful car, impractical, but a wonderful car. But it was primered, thus in high school = no respect. Bunch of people in my auto shop made fun of it yada yada, I offered anyone a ride in it.

Let me show you what this thing can do. I took one person after another (2 seater sports car) out for a joy ride. Everyone loved that car, by the time I was a senior. I had a little legend going around and kids I didn't even know would ask me for rides. saying they heard about this car etc. etc.

basicly, lift it, tune it up, put some pugs on it and wait for the sube's time to shine. Take your dodge friend out wheeling (you will beat him) These cars are unstoppable, and really solid. there are only 2 companies who's cars will see 300k miles, Nissans and subarus

you will be giving in to them if you buy something newer so don't.

there are only 2 companies who's cars will see 300k miles, Nissans and subarus

Volvos will see 300k too. My uncle had 380K on his volvo 740 wagon. He was the original owner and never brought it to a mechanic. He did all the work himself and a year ago when the timing chain finally broke he figured he didnt care and junked it. That was the car i learned how to drive stick on. Oh well it had a good run. The advantage of subarus however is they don't cost an arm and a leg for parts like volvos do.

If you honestly think that getting a different car will bring you respect, then by all means, go for it.

But - REAL respect comes from within. you need to respect yourself, and who you are before others will respect you - regardless of what car you drive.

anyone that judges you for the car you drive is an insecure person themselves, and i feel sorry for them.

I drive an 89 GL wagon with pretty severe cancer of the body panels (front fenders flap in the wind!) - it certainly isnt a pretty car to look at, but I really dont care what others think of it, it serves me well & has been THE most reliable car I have EVER owned - and I have had my share of them. I am secure enough with myself that others can say what they want about my car, it makes no difference to me. I just smile, tell them "I paid $150 for it 4 yrs ago, it handles great in the snow, and I get 30+ miles per gallon, what do you get??", that usually shuts them up.

You need to really think about your "reasons" for wanting to get a new car, as well as all the related expenses involved...good luck with your decision

this is great ammo for the subie haters of the world!!!! all the guys at work make fun of my "pos" subaru, i odnt really care, this is my hobby, i love my car, first car ive ever owned AND driven. i now have 3 subarus. my 86 gl handles better in the snow than my 98 legacy, sure th legacy looks alot nicer. like alot of peole on this board, i like to work on my car, something about wrenches and oil i think....... but anyway, who the hell cares what other people think about your car, yours is paid for, gets better gas mileage, is slower, and can go places their car can only dream of going. the really only thing holding subarus back is ground clearance. motors can be swapped, axle ratios and trannys can be changed, but the most important thing about a subaru, is the driver, laughing at the top of the hill or mountain, making fun of all the people that didnt make it to the top.

~Josh~

and check this out!!! this persons mommy and daddy both drive dodge. then there's this other chango (spanish for monkey) looking dude that is a ricer kid and not only is he a ricer, he likes those gangster cars. i wonder how subaru_styles (the member with the nice GL wagon) life is with is pimped out wagon. oh and about the no respect thing, its gotten to a point where i get personal attacks from this person. not very cool!!! now tell me what you think about the personal attacks!!! its not cool at all!!! they don't know the plans i have under my sleeve. keep the opinions flying and then i tell you what i have in store for my suby!!! i'll give you a hint it has to do with what the imps do!!! with sti to be specific.

I have alot more respect for someone driving something older than 15 years than anything new. Anyone can go buy a new car, pay big payments and high insurance, and pretend to be cool, but to keep an old subaru going requires a certain amount of mechanical aptitude, and the knowledge that sometimes newer isn't better. If you think a new car will give you respect, you are just trying to buy respect, which means all they are respecting is your money and not you. People always make fun of me and my series of old dying suby wagons I've owned. But then I lead them up little dirt roads camping, and their ford explorers barely make it and I didn't even think twice about it.... Plus, I paid as much for the whole car as they pay each month for their new one. They can laugh at me all they want, but I know I'm getting the better end of the deal.

Oh, I do also own a 'dodge' truck, but at least it was made entirely by Mitsubishi, in Japan, for dodge. It's also 21 years old, and no one gives me respect for it either. On the last road trip I was in a caravan of all big chevy trucks, and they were certain my little mitsubishi was going to get stuck, but I actually got through some of the obstacles better because it wasn't so big and galumphalous. IMO, most people who own big trucks are just trying to compensate for other parts of their anatomy which are inadequate.

Edit: Hey, is this the '85 wagon in your sig? If so, the question is does it still work as the chick magnet? If so, then who cares what anyone else thinks. A new toyota corolla sedan or such certainly won't be. I can tell you that....

yeah its the 85' wagon in my sig. when i think of the trade i just shiver over those new car payments. our family has always had toyota and man they are expensive and have high payments. the toyota dealer wher my mom got her odyssey used say they give me $600 toward the new car if i trade the wagon.

personal attacks? just punch him or somtin :drunk: are you going to turn your wagon into a rally wagon? see dodge, not a very good idea..there concept of heavy cars, huge motors=less mpg, isn't exactly working..unless some people are rich or something.. but i mean, crysler has went bankrupt and everything, how lame is that...if he says one more thing about your car, tell him that soobmater thinks that his hunk of garbage isnt worth driving out of your drive way! IMO!

Hey Buddy, lets keep the racial slurs to a minimum, or none at all.

If people don't respect you, a nice new car isn't gonna fix that, maybe its you and not the car. you clearly are trying to show off, as show in your signature, i'm glad you're letting us know that your mom used to drive a Quest, Whoot.

You're 16, we've all been there, some of us more recent than others, but everyone's been 16, well except Soobmater. Point is, you've got a lot of growing up to do, highschool sucked for me, i got no respect, i had a 15 year old ford station wagon with wood paneling, people made fun of my car for 4 years. looking back at the people that were so caught up with putting down my car, they still live in that one horse town and i've moved on to bigger and better things.

Who cares what this guys parents drive, if you get all caught up in it, then you sir are just as stupid as these guys that you complain about. If you really think that cars make the person, you had better not stop there, get yourself a pink polo shirt at ambercrombe and pop your collar.

Go to an Impound auction with a couple hundred dollars and pick yourself another car... get it and drive it fix up your subie...

Thats my advice, right now I'm looking for a truck, to haul and a awd vehicle to go in the snow... My XT is fun but I wan't more... My friends had no respect when I bought my XT because it didn't run and until I let them drive it a few miles then they all want one.

Hey Buddy, lets keep the racial slurs to a minimum, or none at all.

If people don't respect you, a nice new car isn't gonna fix that, maybe its you and not the car. you clearly are trying to show off, as show in your signature, i'm glad you're letting us know that your mom used to drive a Quest, Whoot.

You're 16, we've all been there, some of us more recent than others, but everyone's been 16, well except Soobmater. Point is, you've got a lot of growing up to do, highschool sucked for me, i got no respect, i had a 15 year old ford station wagon with wood paneling, people made fun of my car for 4 years. looking back at the people that were so caught up with putting down my car, they still live in that one horse town and i've moved on to bigger and better things.

Who cares what this guys parents drive, if you get all caught up in it, then you sir are just as stupid as these guys that you complain about. If you really think that cars make the person, you had better not stop there, get yourself a pink polo shirt at ambercrombe and pop your collar.

oh there's no racial slurs against anyone i actually know the person that disrespects me he's hispanic just like i am so nothing racial :) . the wagon stays!!! it goes no where. thanks you guys i think i'm gonna print this thread out just to show them that i'm not alone. they think that i have no friends that will listen or like subys but i can prove them wrong with this print out.

thanks guys for all your replies. it made me feel better to know that there is a message board crew like you guys that help other members out. well! its time to get to work if i want that wagon to look nice!!! hey noah you did an ej22 swap. you think you can help me out with some pointers? you guys rock :drunk: !!!oh and the car like i said it stays!