Ultimate Subaru Message Board

dirtiest suby job ever

Buddy

Tranny pan gasket in a automatic with the tranny still in the car. I hate ATF. Especially burnt ATF. The guy who gave us teh car drove the car with a bad front seal on the tranny for 4 years. He added oil when the car quit moving. Needless to say, new tranny pan gasket and front seal, we sold the car and its still out there driving.

rebuilding axles without a grease gun :P

That's been my dirtest job so far too... I hate that molly grease stuff.

Funny story:

My bro was fixing his mazda's front axle boots and he didn't get any of the special grease with the boot. So he pops down to the local "Holden" mechanic and asks for the grease it said to use in the manual "molydisulfide grease" or "molly grease." They didn't have a clue what he was on about. They said just use some HTB grease.... Hrmm, that's why I get dirty and do my own mechanics...

[bTW, Holden is a car company here in Australia.]

undercoating the bottom of my brat with that rubber crap, laying down:banghead: had it stuck all over my face and hands for over a week, ended up using a sos brillo pad:lol:

Next time, try some "Shout"... you know, the laundry pre-treater. I did a concrete waterproofing job, and nothing would touch the stuff to get it off of me; waterless hand cleaner wouldn't do anything... even tried the brillo route. "Shout" melted it right off.

well i could say that the axle job on any car is dirty. so i would say that the axle job is one of the dirtiest jobs around. (did a nissan today and that was extremely dirty :D ) so if a nissan is dirty a suby prolly is worse.

Subaru axles are easy (and clean) compared to my VW rabbit I was fighting with yesterday. Trying to reassemble the inner right CV joint -- you know the one right under the middle of the car under the exhaust manifold, laying on my back with grease covered ball bearings falling out of the CV joint on me. Ick.

Rebuilding an EA82 with over 170k miles on it that looked like it NEVER had a rebuild, caked all over with oil, major leaks in both cam tower seals, PLUS cleaning and painting the inside of the engine compartment, also covered in years of old oil and grease.

I had to repaint my garage floor after the job was done, and my driveway will never look clean again, no matter how much I hit it up with the wire brush.

Subaru axles are easy (and clean) compared to my VW rabbit I was fighting with yesterday. Trying to reassemble the inner right CV joint -- you know the one right under the middle of the car under the exhaust manifold, laying on my back with grease covered ball bearings falling out of the CV joint on me. Ick.
yeah i know about that. we have done only one that had been broken for a while and it was clean no matter what. the nissan we did on monday afternoon was super messy! even the tranny fluid came out and the thing that pissed us off was that it is a stick and we could'nt find the dang refill tube. i thought to myself "man why can't nissan do this like subaru,with a fill tube for tranny fluid even if its a stick :mad: " but whats done is done!!!

I think I got everyone beat!

Rebuilding an RX that had a hard life before it went into the junkyard. I've touched at least every bolt on that car. Everything from the 5-lug swap with broked boots on the old front axles to pulling the old engine out, tearing it down and finding out it had two blown headgaskets and two cracked heads. Oh and swapping the automatic outta it for the manual. The auto was pretty dirty. You probably think this is a bunch of different jobs but to me, its all one since its a full on rebuild of the car;) Hasn't run for over a year now, since I pulled it into the garage under its own power...

Dirtiest jobs I've done with cars.....

Removing fully covered in oil gearbox (non Subaru) It was urgent job that needed to be done to replace the clutch on roadside.

Removing an blown engine (again covered in oil - couldn't drive it or get it cleaned before starting the job - wasn't worth the effort to clean it if I am gonna throw the engine away.

Removing Rear Diff (subaru) at the junk yard, was covered in smelly diff oil.

Replacing the CV boot - greasy & messy - again number one hate!

Ah um.... otherwise my Liberty's engine is clean and it stays that way otherwise i dont get greasy hands heh!

Smellist jobs... number one is the rear diff oil!!! it stinks and makes me feel so sick.

Cheers

AP

undercoating the bottom of my brat with that rubber crap, laying down:banghead: had it stuck all over my face and hands for over a week, ended up using a sos brillo pad:lol:

ROFLMAO....I did the same thing....LOLOLOLOL....Looked like a racoon says my wife....

She called me Tim the toolman......:lol:

my dirtiest subaru maybe two a clutch in my 95 subaru awd which i droped the tranny? dont asked

pulling a 91 loyale wagon auto out of 3ft high weeds and sunking into the ground so the the bellly of the car was on the ground pull it out and got it running hit it into to gear with a hammer and drove it home with about 5psi in each tire and the whole way back it spit and sputer from old gas every light was on in the dash- batt,tranmision, check engine, brake and somthing esle lets say the ONLY thing i was not doing it was not over heating

ps. it was not running in 2 years