Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ20g into GL10 Wagon almost done ~EDIT DONE~

suberdave

well i was going to wate till it was done to post this. but i see others talking about it. so i want to let everyone know it has been done. started working on it 12-10-05

1996 JDM WRX EJ20G into a 1988 GL10 Wagon

the car runs awesome. starts up first try. have not driven it yet but no codes as of yet.

all i have left to do is the clutch pedal (will get that done tomorrow) and the rear axles. have to do some custom work there. or find a 4.111:1 rear diff that will mate up to the GL axels. (possable legacy)

PICS HERE ======> www.suberdave.com/subaru/glwrxt

so im guessing you used the JDM EJ20G tranny also? all you need to do for the axles is grab the rear impreza (or POSSIBLY legacy) axles, and swap the rear diff DOJ(part that slides onto rear diff) from your 3.70 rear diff onto the impreza axles. or, if you want, you can go 5-lug while your at it and save yourself some trouble, and you'll be running the right sized tires for that 4.111 tranny. are you going to run stock boost (10 psi.)? that EJ20G is completely fine at 15 psi. with no problems.

~Josh~

so im guessing you used the JDM EJ20G tranny also? all you need to do for the axles is grab the rear impreza (or POSSIBLY legacy) axles, and swap the rear diff DOJ(part that slides onto rear diff) from your 3.70 rear diff onto the impreza axles.

inner DOJ"S wont fit. tryed that. the gl axels are 23 spline and the impreza axels are 22 at the CV race. and i tryed 91 turbo legacy stub shafts. right spline count but the stub that goes into the clutch pack for the LSD is smaller. so that wont work. right now i am trying to get some custom CV races made so i can convert to a hybread GL WRX axel.

and i will see about the boost, i will start out at stock and see how that goes. then we may go from there.

car is already 5 lug. xt6 stuff in rear and WRX stuff in front. with 17in DRAG D4's on it

got the clutch and acc pedals in today, drove it back and forth in the driveway, (no rear axels yet)

ordered my rear converson races, will have then on thursday, and i will be done....... untill the next thing needs to be updated or mod'ed (is that a word)

O-Yeah i need exhaust also. but that can wate. it sounds good with just the down pipe.

-=Suberdave=-

got my converson races form RCV Peformance. worked awesome. i was able to drive it around the back yard. but could not take it on the street yet. i still need tires for the rear. should have them tomorrow. so they will be the same size.

but it goes like crazy in the wet yard.

took this bad boy for a test drive today (in the neighborhood, no tabs yet). man dose this thing boost some balls. when this thing spools up. you better be holding on to your shorts. kinda loud though. no exhaust yet, just the down pipe.

deffantly a little adrenaline rush for me tonight.

-=Suberdave=-

http://www.suberdave.com/subaru/glwrxt

i didnt have any trouble i couldnt get solved. for the cross member i used the front and rear sections from a 88 XT6 and the center peace from the WRX. it bolted right up. then the front section of the driveshaft had to be shortened. 55mm. then to use the rear diff with LSD and matching ratio. i had to order custom CV races to mate the WRX inner cups to the GL axels. (i have an extra set if you need some or you can call RCV Peformance part# 184-068A)

and then theres the clutch issue. thats a whole nother chapter. you have to use the clutch/brake box from a USDM WRX. not to much moding to be done. then drill a few holes in the fire wall for the clutch master. and bolt it all up.

-=Suberdave=-

http://www.suberdave.com/subaru/glwrxt

took the wife for a ride today. she started screeming and looking for an "OS" handle. and i was only shifting into 2nd gear.

still no exhaust. so im sure the neighbors arnt to happy. but i have an appointment for tomorrow morning to get some.

gonna be lots of fun. i cant wate till tomorrow when i can take it out on the freeway.

!!!!DONE!!!!

code 33 was VSS. found out before i got the front clip the person in Japan had some sort of something hooked to the VSS. using one of those little clip things. well, i pulled the ECU and the wire was broke right at the little pink clip. used a good butt connector with heatshrenk on both ends.

so now we know the VSS from a 1987 or newer GL will work with a EJ20 ECU...

took it for a drive, wow. has way to much turbo lag. but once spooled up it goes very good.

tomorrow new fuel filter and injector cleening, than emissions...

-=Suberdave=-