Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Where to buy Windsheild Gasket? - 84 Brat

I know that JCWhitney used to list them, and I'm also aware that it's possible to install them without the rubber gasket, but it really does look like crap when it's done (seen in on Flowmaster's '82 - was frightfull looking). I'm not interesting in hearing that I should do this or that. I KNOW what I want, and that's to do it as it was original from the factory. Call me crazy, but I am doing a "restoration", and I'm not going to settle for less.

That said,- I need to know if anyone has a new rubber for an EA81 non-coupe windshield, or where to buy one. Must have the channel for the chrome strips. I have a used one that actually looks darn good - still supple and everything, and I could probably use it, but.... you never know. Also, what is the sealant used between it and the glass and the frame? And is there a special tool to inject this stuff into that thin line?

GD

Yeah - been a while. I've been lurking lately.... decided it was time to return. Been through a couple jobs, and now I have my weekends back and a decent schedule. Gives me more time to work on my soobs.

I'll check out ebay - don't know why I didn't think of that.

Any idea if the "kit" in the eatwood cat. is the gasket? Sounds pretty cheap - I remeber them being over $100 I thought....

GD

Well it's worth checking what their price is I suppose. I'll stop by there after work this week when I get paid. Need a couple things anyway. Good idea to check tho - thanks. I think I priced it on subaruparts.com at like $115 or so. Should see what Lithia can do tho - they are good guys down at the parts counter there.... old school too. Hard to find dealerships like them anymore.

GD

Been awhile back, but I got one off EBay for my '82. I just looked thru my list of links, but didn't find the web addy for the place I actually bought it from. I'll dig thru the boxes of stuff out in the garage, and see if I can find the name of the place atleast. It'll be some time after 4:pm afore I can do that though.

And Welcome back!!!!!!

Well - all the parts are availible from the dealer.... I just wondered if anyone had a line on an aftermarket supplier. You can't eliminate the chrome, it's what keeps the gasket tight. Besides, it wouldn't look right without it. You could maybe sand the strips and have them powder coated or something.... it's a thought. Here's what I know about the dealer parts:

Quantity / Part Number / List Price / Subaruparts.com price

(1) 765061000 Weather Strip F Wind $151.07 $115.11 $115.11

(1) 765062770 Moulding F Upr $22.18 $16.90 $16.90

(2) 765062970 Moulding Side $19.47 $14.83 $29.67

(1) 765062431 Moulding F Lwr $24.08 $18.35 $18.35

(1) 765062800 Moulding Joint F Upr $3.50 $2.67 $2.67

(1) 765062810 Moulding Joint F Upr $3.50 $2.67 $2.67

(1) 765062441 Moulding Joint F Lwr $3.50 $2.67 $2.67

(1) 765062451 Moulding Joint F Lwr $3.50 $2.67 $2.67

GD

The one for my rusty ugly green brat came from MS glass over on Canyon Road in Beaverton. They swapped it out and did a great job for like $95 I think (parts and labor)

Since the brat was kinda rusty they had to leave a bead of black silicone kinda oozing out of where the gasket met the body though.... but it didnt leak anymore!

I still would recommend them as it looked WAY better with the fresh new gasket. They even kept all the chrome in good shape, didnt mangle it or tell me I had to buy a new set or anything.

PS

Been a long time! The brat is FINALLY sold, the GL blew up at 321K and I am now pimping around a 2005 Baja "NU BRAT" is the plate :brow:

Just got in from the garage, almost forgot about it until I saw the thread.

Didn't find box, but did find the package with the seal in it. Seal has rib for the chrome.

Info on tag reads;

Target Glass 985-876-0237

P/N FWS417C Subaru BRAT/GL/DL

Trade references WCR417 HWS004254

Hope that helps....

I just learned today that "skipperbluecars" (John's Garage in Phillipston, MA) has access to 6 new windshield gaskets for 2nd gen Brats. He hesitates to buy them unless he has interest in selling them. I have dibs on one... depending on price. (It's just-in case part). Call Skip at 978-249-9051 if you're interested.

BTW, he has consoles, interior parts, glass, seats and lots of other parts still available.

• 1 month later...

sorry to dredge up an old thread, but thats what happens when I use the search function...:lol:

I need a gasket, as I'm going to replace my windshield. I'm guessing that using the old one is out.... call me crazy? Besides, I think my current one leaks anyway, as there's always moisture on the floorboards (not rusted at all). So does anyone have a CONFIRMED source for these? Thanks,

Jordan