Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How would you build the perfect sleeper?

I've got mine, (a few on the board have seen it, Shawn W's been in it..)

1980 Ford Fairmont 2dr sedan, FBI Fleet car copper/brown color, Bench seat, Stock Steelies w/ dog dish hubcaps, 2800Lbs wet.

1992 H.O. 302 roller converted to carb, C-4 W/ shift kit & B&M QuarterStick, 8.8 Trac-Loc rear W/ 3.55's. Manual steering conversion...

Ran low 14's at sea level.

Subie Sleeper? A 2.2TT in Eyesore!!!! :lol:

A sleeper does'nt have to look like crap. It only has to LOOK slow. Just my opinion.

Normally sleepers look stock, and go like hell! But my idea would be good for a laugh I think. People would just be laughing and laughing.... Then the light turns green.

Subaru GL-10 body, with sunroof and all ammenities - then cram an EJ25 or better engine; or even a ER27 with forged pistons (9:1 CR or higher), copper head gaskets, custom FI system and a turbo :brow: I don't ask how I would fit the ER27 into the body - maybe if I want it to really look like a sleeper, I should put a 4EAT in it. An ER27 turboed would really scoot if you wanted it to. :burnout:

My old 82 DL almost got this treatment, but the body was too far gone-

14" whitespokes, and touring tires for a litle better grip.

Ditch the drivetrain- VW bus tranny, five speed conversion, and adaptor to fit Ford 3.0v6- in the rear.

EFI with single T4, .6 a/r running 8psi for 375hp, also water/methanol injection to run up to 16psi/525hp. Full cage to prevent flex, intercooler aft of the rear axle, ducted in through the bottom, out through the wheelwells, radiator and fuel cell up front under reverse fold hood. The whole engine package will fit under a window-level panel with a dry sump setup, making it look very stock from the outside, you can even keep the back seat.

Mustang II front end, keep the crappy paint and cracked grill for effect.

My bug is a so so sleeper, it's to shiney to be a really one :cool:

Heres a sleeper, to bad he made the tubros stick out the hood though.. it would have been the perfect sleeper if he dropped them down a few inches.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7301086107254792808

There are a few camaros around here and one impala, heavy assed cars... that are running twin BANKs turbos.. one of them claims over 1500 HP :grin: That's half the horse power of a twin turbine M1A1 Abrams tank! They destroy everything that is road legal and hang out in a pack that sometimes visits the homedepot parking lot: sky lines, EVO's, STi', MX's, Supras, Type R's and even a ford pantera are what these three eat for breakfeast. The big block camaro has primer and rust all over, I'd feel real bad racing my nicely painted restored bug and getting beaten by that RAt! Imagine the guy who just spent $75K on a car and got powned, because he was talking to much trash about how american cars suck lol.

Don't doubt any cars potential... anyone and anything can be turbo'd forged and ported. I've even seen a turbo lawn mower lol wish I could find the pictures. Subaru's rule, but when you can make 3 1/2 tons of rust layden detriot stand on one end and pass everything short of an F16 you've got to show some respect :D

I had a friend in high school whose family was into VWs. He had a Thing that was redone really nicely. His mom had an oval. The masterpeice was his dad's bus. It was a split window ragtop with a porsche flat 6. He could get the front wheels off the ground without much trouble.

I'm sure its been done a million times over since then, but at the time it was quite impressive.

In my opinion, a perfect sleeper would be an 89 xt6 with an 05 sti engine and 6 speed (gotta love that diff), custom a-arms to accept sti axles and running gear (bearings, hubs, brakes,etc), new rear end out of sti, the least flashy rims for an sti (to fit hubs/brakes), and last, but not least, a 60 shot wet nos system..... just to prove your point. Hmmmmm..... just guessing at its output, but wouldnt a 60 shot put the hp/trq at near 450/500? I'd love to see those hopped up deisel truck owners faces when their doors get blown off at probly the tune of 0-60 in 3.0".......

My bug is a so so sleeper, it's to shiney to be a really one :cool:

Heres a sleeper, to bad he made the tubros stick out the hood though.. it would have been the perfect sleeper if he dropped them down a few inches.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7301086107254792808

:D

A sleeper, by definition, isn't obvious. This one is waaayyy too obvious to be a sleeper.

Back about 68 years ago (Before i was into subies) i was whaiting for my wife to get off and a EA-81 brat pulled up next to me with that large V8 rumble, I asked the guy what he had in it and he replied "It's a 305 chev. with a TH 350 tranny".

Like i said it was way before i was into subaru's but i rember being really turned on by thins car, Had low-pre tires on like 17 inch rims or so, needed paint but was perfect!, looked like a work in progress, it was primer grey with spots of bondo.

Now that im into subies i kick myself for never getting pictures, I often wonder how he got it to fit under the hood:confused:

~Dayten~

Couple of buddies of mine have ultimate sleepers: One is an old Ford Fairlane "Woody" wagon, with a 2.3 turbo, 5spd tranny, rear lsd'd 8.8. Puts down about 350hp, does the quarter in less than 14 seconds. But you can't tell from the outside, just looks like an old pile of ford. The other is an 83 Mercury Capri, basically the same setup, 2.3 ford, 5spd. But this one has a Holset turbo off a Cummins, along with the cummins intercooler, 35psi of boost, approx 480hp. And the car is completely gutted, weighs in about 2200lbs.

Mine would have to be a 360, put a Huyabusa motor in there, or I've got a Yamaha 750 triple that puts out about 3x's the horsepower of the 359cc'd Soob.

Either that, or a Gen I brat, tubbed 9" rear end, Tremec T-56 tranny, blown fuel injected 429, @ approx 900hp. As long as they don't pull up from behind you, and you don't rev it, you may have a chance of convincing them it's really stock.

For the most part, I don't go for the sleeper approch, I like my cars to SCREAM "I'm better than you!!". My mustang had an 8-71 sticking out of the hood with an injector high-hat on top of it with 16" wide x 33" tall Mickey's on the back.

My Brat calls out, "I don't even remember when I could last be called stock". Most people won't mess with me in it, and those that do, end up not doing it again.

And my 84, well, it rolled off the dealer lot with more turbo stickers on it than the back wall of the local "tuner" shop! No hiding that, unless I "debadge" it, which of couse is sacreligous.

• 1 month later...

in 1989 and 1990 dodge put turboed four bangers in their minivans.they can make 300HP easily and just as easily run 12's in 1/4 mile

now imagine a ozidized blue dodge minvan with fake wood trim and "soccer mom" stickers run a big exhaust but have it exit before the the rear axle then bolt a stock rusty exhaust so it is not connected to real exhaust but it is the part that shows under bumper.Then have the minivan on "winter" steel wheels.

ULTIMATE SLEEPER end of story.

te37 toyota corolla wagon with a K20A from the new honda civics with i-VTEC, potential for 300 NA horse, and sounds amazing. :) then get rid of those haggard leaf spring in the rear, weld in a GTS rear end, kaaz 2 way lsd. lower the car a little, but not too much, then get some ronal bears. :) done, kill people in the corners and on the straight aways. and since its a wagon, you can comfortably seat 5, ie the daughters of the people you just beat.

yup.

EDIT: 100th post, MOZLETOV!!!

'73 BMW 3.0 CS with a '00 S52 twincam 3.2 liter OBD I in front of the 6-speed. Rear wheel wells sectioned 2" inwards for a mild tub (stock carpet still fits, too!). Nissan R200 diff with 3.96 gears ("91 300ZX donor). Dunlop D40M2 street tires.

Currently runs low 14s. When I can afford it I'm gonna put a supercharger on it, should be good for 375+ hp and mid-12s.

But I keep thinking I could save about 200 pounds if I could fit a WRX motor in it!!