Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Exhaust "Leak" With believable Pics (56K LOOKOUT!!)

HAHAHAHAHAHA oh WOW.

WOW.

So, i had an apparant leak in my exhaust pipe.. so i go to check it out... and see not only have the TIGHTENED BOLTS completly dissapeared (and YES they were tight... YES i tightened them the correct way... (i'm one of those guys that triple check every connection, and stuff usually works because i do it so overly maticulously))

*ahem*

Check it out... *posting pics as we speak*

hole1.jpg

hole2.jpg

hole3.jpg

I mean, i only drove it home! ...after i heard the leak, i drove to get some exhaust bandages, then home, and WOAH!

so! off to find a gen three head at the jy!!!

UNLESS SOMEONE HAS A GEN 3 DRIVERS HEAD THEY WANNA SELL!!! :)

enjoy! :banana:

Luigi

p.s... why am i the LEAST bit happy about this? well, i rebuilt the passenger head to see the overall condition of the engine, drivetrain, rear end, ect... and since i did it, and the car is in GREAT condition, i wanted to get into the driver side head but didnt have a good enough reason to. You know, clean the pistons as much as i did with the passengers side... shine everything up, clean up leaks, ect... so there ya have it :) just thought i'd share.

looks like something with your timing might be off due to the high temp of the heat. I've never seen an aluminum head melt unless it was from bad timing or some tuning issue.

really? the car ran (and still runs) awesome! hardly even turns over, starts right up in 40 or 85 degrees.... still think something possibly wrong with the head? or could it be that the head is 250,000 miles old?

*shrugs* interesting idea..

...but the noise?? ... yeah its awesome

Why is that bolt missing? Are you sure that's not the casting hole they have there so water drains from the around the spark plugs? And the lack of a bolt/stud caused your gasket to blow out and resulting the melting of the timing cover?

i have no idea... all of a sudden, i had an exhaust leak, i went to check it, and saw THAT.

could it be from hot air being trapped in the head from lack of coolant...?

making a 'hot spot'??? i've never heard of a hot spot melting anything like that though!:eek:

this deserves a high 5!:cool: (drove it all the wa home... AMAZING!)

we'll all give you huge amounts of high five if you drive it like that for the rest of the week...:-p

:burnout:

I've seen Turbo heads like that after someone severely overheated their engine. It's going to smell really good when you get those heads off. If you plan on reusing that block, you better make sure that you can still apply the proper amount of torque to the head bolts before you get too far along with the head job.

I've seen Turbo heads like that after someone severly overheated their engine. It's going to smell really good when you get those heads off.

thats interesting.... Since i had the car its never overheated... and you could go right now and drive it to the store, and down the street, get on the freeway... its still goin! *at perfect operating temp*

...and yeah all bolts were gone... i got undernieth it with the camera and thats what i saw... i touched nothing! i even thought...

SOMEONE STOLE MY BOLTS!!!!!!! ...AND NUTS! *screaming down the street*

"SOMEONE STOLE MY NUTS!!!" :burnout:

+1

+2

Try pouring some water the top of the heads (where the spark plugs are) and checking where it drains out of.

I'm pretty sure it's just a drain hole, even though your pictures are just showing up as red 'x's for me.

My '92 had an exhaust gasket leak that melted the rear timing cover. In a way, it was a good thing, because it lets out the oil that has leaked from the cam seals. :lol:

Don't get another head(s)!

I had this problem with 2 studs that stripped, one was even broken , one kept trying to fall out.(banged Y pipe on ground 4-wheeling). I found a thing called a "helix coil"

and an american size 3/8 bit, new studs and wallah! Stronger than OEM.:)

The trick is to have a car lift and nearly perfect perpendicular drill hole ( a mechanic I brought my car to, got it first shot), that was only risk.

I think all ea82 heads have those holes in them

Well... It sounds more Like the Holes Came Just in SOME Models, not in All EA82, Because mine does Not have any Holes.

Also I know that the very first Editions of EA82 got diferent recirculating gas stuff in the Heads. So, Maybe your Heads got that Holes just as a Drain of the Upper area of the Engine, but not all EA82 got them... Also, I live Outside of the USA... Maybe our EA82´s are different...

i'm confused on the severity and talk of rebuilding, this is a really simple fix. this happens all the time on these motors. the exhaust studs strip out very easily. unless i'm missing something, it is hard to see anything with all that oil and stuff everywhere. the exhaust is leaking out, blowing on the timing belt covers. they melt when they get hot, just plastic.

helicoil the threads and you're done in a hour. without doing any work but removing the exhaust header and putting it back on. the only annoying part is working from under the car. wear goggles so the aluminum, oil and rust doesn't get in your eyes.

well its good news that the head is ok. i mean, this isnt my daily driver, this has been my project car for almost a year now, but i'm still a little blown away about the "drain" hole. like i said before, on the passenger head, one of the HLA's gave way and ate the cam, so i found a gen three head to put on... but never did the driver side head. passenger side = you could eat off of... driver side.. well you can see you can't ;)

so! i didnt realize the bolts strip out... thats crazy! so did they just fall out? i'm not worried about the fix... nor am i worried about the rebuild... i'm kinda looking forward to it... i wanted to get in there for quite some time now :) i'll let everyone know what i decide to do.. :)

still lookin for a gen 3 drivers side head though ;) if anyone knows of one.

a side note, but does anyone know if theres a difference between gen 1, 2, and 3 disty's?? they're interchangable right?

k thought so ;)