Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Lifted wagons

Last night I was looking at a roll call thread for lifted wagons in the off-road forum, and I happened to find McBrat's lifted red GL wagon (thanks, McB), which is a lot like one of my latest Subarus, waiting for me to find the right EJ22 to replace the seized EA82. My wife was looking over my shoulder, and she said, "I think you should do that to yours." :banana: I've actually been thinking about it for a while. One question I have is handling on the road. I would want to lift it between 2 and 4 inches and fit tires that won't require a sawzall or sledgehammer to get under there. So, for those of you who have lifted your wagons, how has it affected things like ride, cornering, etc?

Thanks.

i call it more of a thrill than before :headbang::lol::grin: if you go with a 4 inch lift, well lets back up a sec, are u going to be doing a lot of offroading? for just some occasional wheelin, i would suggest going with some cooper wildcats, in 27x8.50x14 they are actually like 26.something inches. i highly doubt they would rub on normal street driving. so u should be able to fit them without any trimming. maybe i tiny pounding, but nothing drastic. well,as far as the ride goes, its neat. sure, they dont corner as good, but o well. but dude, the cool factor far outweighs the loss in cornering :-D

Depends on a lot of factors that you have not specified - wheel offset, tire size, and do you plan on leaving the sway bars in place? Most of us take them out for better articulation, and easier repair (easier to remove axles without em).

I can say that with 5" of lift and 28" tires (15" Chevy rims) with no sway bars my wagons handles fine. The steering is a bit touchy to get used to, but at least the power steering doesn't mind the tire size. It steers very easily, and the tire's tend to walk a bit, so you don't want to go real fast in it. I've done 90, but seriously for safety, 65 should be the top speed on something like my rig.

Ride depends on what you are doing to your suspension. Basically the heavier your wheel/tire combo is, the more inertia it will have, and thus the softer your stock suspension will feel. Ride is comfortable for my wagon - loud because of the tread, but not truck-like in it's feel.

GD

both of my lifted wagons have done thousands upon thousands of freeway miles. at 70+ mph. I think it's as safe as can be, but be sure you're paying attention, and you don't take your hands off the wheel. a crosswind can start something fierce if you're not paying attention.

I'd rather be driving my wagon, than fullsize truck!

I have 4" lift, 30X9.5" mud tires on chevy rims. The wheels stick out a couple of inches from the body, and the wagon handles fine. Rallying back roads (dirt) in it can get sketchy in 2wd, but in 4wd it handle's great. At 90mph+ on the highway, it deffiniatly walked on corners, like I was kinda smearing the tires across my lane. But that may be the tread and old tires (they do have age cracks in between the tread). The ride is firm but not jarring, and they have a tite turning radius so that around town it's comfortable to drive. It is a feeling like nothing else. Confidence inspiring.

I sugest wheels with at least a bit more offset than stock. The higher you lift the car, the more unstable it gets, and the greater offset helps counteract that.

if you just want a couple of inches .why don't you just mount some strut tops from an ea-82 on to an ea-81 extendable strut and ride at full extension.at that point put in some rx springs and you would have a good general road ride.a bit stiffer,but good control . tires,well i hate to say it,but 27 inchers are still going to rub.but not to much.mud flaps i'm guessing.also depends on tire tread.what style do you want?are you offroad more than on or vice versa.pretty much ,where do you want the money to go?would you rather have s.s. braided lines or knobbier more aggressive tires?bumpers ....etc...etc

the swaybar is questionable.i don't have mine installed and i have smuggled subaru parts all over this state,on freeways at some points doing 85 .(i didn't say driving,i said at some points)squirrely as hell.but i like it.experiment.oh and i would just get a 4 inch lift kit.there are several to choose from now.later ...b

• 1 year later...

i lifted my gl wagon 10 inches......used offset chevy rims......26" tires......it naturely cambed the rear to the negative side.....handles very well.......traction from hell.........real happy with the results........drives fine on the freeway..........and for sale....:slobber:

Last night I was looking at a roll call thread for lifted wagons in the off-road forum . . .

One question I have is handling on the road. I would want to lift it between 2 and 4 inches and fit tires that won't require a sawzall or sledgehammer to get under there. So, for those of you who have lifted your wagons, how has it affected things like ride, cornering, etc?

Thanks.

Did you take time to read the F.A.Q. in the Off Road section? The question you asked is answered there. Several times. :burnout:

make me a reasonable offer....this is a homebuilt raise......8" in frt.,10" in rear....some features are..... new milemarker 5500winch....five matching tires on chevy rims...5 sp...d/r......straight exhaust..welded rear.....3.9 gears ....roof lights........spare parts.....alt.,starter,one rear strut,rad.fan assy.,etc........all doors,frt sheet,and hatch are white now.......:eek:

the bad.....needs steering column upper bearing,tune up would be a plus,bent rear strut (have a spare)...prolly more i'm forgeting.......

and free dents pre installed :lol:

want up dated pix ?....p.m. me.

2: search for "beefaru" and you will see a long-term daily driver wagon with VERY extensive mods. It's all about the quality of work done to it.

Yeah, at the meet last year, we were all standing around afraid to touch the thing it was so nice looking compared to the rest of the subies there. It drives very nice. :slobber:

Hi everyone, I have a few subies and my latest purchase is an 85 GL 4WD wagon. It has been modified a little, the wheels and brakes are from an 89 XT6, so I now have 5-bolt 14s and 4-wheel discs. This is a nice setup, but the former owner also replaced the GL front struts with XT6 struts, he told me he had to since the front suspension parts are now part GL, part XT, and the stock GL struts wouldn't fit. Everything works well, but the front rides a little lower (and softer) than stock, which would actually be OK except I live on a bad road and would like to get front end height back to stock so I don't damage any of the scenic rocks jutting out of my long, potholey driveway. Only the brakes/wheels were changed in back, no problem there.

It sounds like some of you might know if I could either replace these front struts with some other Subaru struts, or if there's another way to get my front height back up a couple of inches? I'm just looking for the stock clearance. Someone suggested that Legacy struts might work, but I don't know if this is true, or how to find out. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

You can either put in spacers at the top of the strut or replace the struts and springs from any other 5-lugged subaru whose struts would suit your needs better.

Thanks, that would seem to be legacy struts, I'll check the length on some in my local junkyard and then go from there. I need them to be a little stiffer than the XT6 struts anyway.