Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Buildin' myself a bumper *New Pics, Half Built!*

Andyjo

whoah!

I've got some drawings, some steel, and a bunch of tools, i'm ready to go! woohoo! :headbang:

here are the general plans (i got bored in class today)

plans1.jpg

plans2.jpg

there's alot more detailed & dimensioned drawings somewhere.. but.. these are the newest ones...

here's what i have built up sofar (x2), the nuts are welded on... mounting pieces are cut, just need to bend some tube now!!

mount1.jpg

The outside end of the mount is going to end up being a scackle mount, we're going to take out the center/middle of the tube, vice it, and weld it all up good & stuff, then punch a hole through the new end, and shove a shackle through there.

It's going to look mean :headbang: and be pretty hard core when we're done with it :clap:

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got a question. What is the purpose of the big upside down "U" in the middle?

Think about ways to protect your radiator. Maybe factor in ways to add a skid plate.

And remember, weight is cumbersome. You dont' have a very strong frame, so you don't need a really burly bumper.

Higher up the bottom of the bumper sits, the better approach angle you'll get. Approach angle is everything in many situations. One of those rails oughta do it.

the big upside down U is for pushing... where as it's hard to push right on the bumper (in some situations i've gotten into).. it's also to protect the lights a little, and for a general "i'm gonna push you" look

I'm guessing it's going to be about 60-70 lbs, and plans for a skidplate are also going to be added :headbang:

and the tubes are going to be so close to the existing frame, that the added bar isn't really killing my approch angle.

whoah!

I've got some drawings, some steel, and a bunch of tools, i'm ready to go! woohoo! :headbang:

here are the general plans (i got bored in class today)

plans1.jpg

Dude, sweet!!

I really like the idea of tying in the wings to the main framerail mounts!

I'm psyched for Pix when you're done (PM me ;) cuz I'm not on the board too often...

• 2 weeks later...

woohoo!! it's getting there, last night we spent say... a good 5-6 hours bending, plasma cutting, welding & using 'the answer' on the bumper. It's almost there, i still need to cut up the vertical supports, fix the large mistake we made on the drivers side (we bent it in the wrong place... and tried to fix it...). Other than that, it's one burly bumper... have a bit more to weld, and have to still bend up the bull bar, and do some notching.

Here are the pics we have so far

b1.jpg

b2.jpg

b3.jpg

b4.jpg

b5.jpg

It looks kind of funny when none of the front things (headlights etc..) are bolted in.. but you get the idea.

hopefully i can get in the shop and finnish this up in a week or so. :headbang:

we were thinking of plasma cutting out a subaru logo for the front there with some aluminum plate, but then i remembered that NH requires a front liscence plate... The directionals will be the stock ones i think... just right on the bend there, to the sides of the main mounts.

As for lights... i might just mount my KC's to the sides of the liscence plate, and wait to make the bull bar until i get the lightforces :headbang:

Oh yeah, i'm gonna hit it up with some primer, of course, and then i think a few rattle cans, as close gray as i can to the trim, and then clear coat it, for a little extra protection.

No way, and I don't think a phone pole would budge it now either!

He used a pipe bender, I have those exact same pinch marks on all of my roll bars..

I learnt a lot using it for the 1st time.

That Bar looks great in my very humble opinion.:clap:

I used a cheapo Harbor freight bender, worked perfectly!

12 ton jack seemed to do the trick.

this weekend i think i'm going to make some vertical supports, light mounts, liscence plate mount.. get that all welded together, finnish welding the main supports.... i still need to find/make some shackle mounts...

Alright, i've got a few questions for the peoples here.

1a) what do you all use for shackle mounts? what thickness steel? 1/2", or 3/4" stock? or do you just buy them? and from where?

1b) How do you measure what sizing of shackle you have.. mine has a 3/4" screwy part.. the rest is 1/2"... would that make it a 1/2" shackle? :confused:

2) Where can i get steel hardened? :D My skidplate is going to be rediculous, mauhaahah.... 1/8" hardened steel should do the trick... i'm going to form it up in it's mild state, then try to harden it... :headbang: