Ultimate Subaru Message Board

90 Legacy Wagon 4EAT 23 mpg the last two tanks

I was wondering if this was a pretty decent city/highway average. That's just the last two tanks but keep in mind I drive pretty spirited, I'll say. I got 285 miles on 12 gallons and then 267 on 11.6 gallons so it's about 23 on the last two tanks. I just started checking to see what kind of milage I'm getting.

I searched legacy mpg and came up with nothing so that is why I'm asking.

I have no idea how many miles are on the engine but the tranny is a 94 that I put in a couple months ago with 120,000 on it and the engine I'm assuming is somewhere between 120-150K. With 275,500 on the car...lol she runs beautifully. Especially after I just replaced that cracked knock sensor, changed oil and filter and ran a can of sea foam through the pcv and the gas tank.

I'm just trying to see how my baby is comparing to other people's wagons.

I was wondering if this was a pretty decent city/highway average. That's just the last two tanks but keep in mind I drive pretty spirited, I'll say. I got 285 miles on 12 gallons and then 267 on 11.6 gallons so it's about 23 on the last two tanks. I just started checking to see what kind of milage I'm getting.

I have no idea how many miles are on the engine but the tranny is a 94 that I put in a couple months ago with 120,000 on it and the engine I'm assuming is somewhere between 120-150K. With 275,500 on the car...lol she runs beautifully. Especially after I just replaced that cracked knock sensor, changed oil and filter and ran a can of sea foam through the pcv and the gas tank.

I have a 91 legacy wagon and I average about 22-23 miles to the gallon. I have about 190K on the wagon, so I would say that your mileage sounds about right to me.

Excellent! I'm glad it's hitting the right marks. I'm very impressed with this car. My first subaru, I don't think I'll ever own a car that isn't all wheel drive...I have a 4WD toyota pickup too and I love that thing as well.

When I got the car it had been majorly neglected. The second day I had it the timing belt snapped on me while I was passing a car and a truck pulling a huge horse trailer. That was embarressing. Died on me right before I got past the last of them and I had to just coast to a stop while letting them pass me. It was totally lame.

After that probably a couple weeks later or less the tranny took a dive. I was going up this hill to my house(very steep hill and very tall)when it seemed to have lost power and so I gave it more gas but nothing happened. I came to a stop and rolled back down the hill a bit. I don't know what happened with the tranny but it had almost 300,000 on it and it had enough fluid so I just replaced it.

I also did other small things like new fuel filter, oil/filter change, new plugs and wires from NGK, new O2 sensor, new knock sensor, new air filter, replaced many broken interior parts, brand new all season tires plus a couple spare studded snow tires! Also had to replace the rear end because the gears that came with the new tranny are 4.111 and the original had 3.90. And both the driver side wheel bearings!

All this in the first month I had it pretty much.

But after all that, it runs like a top! It shows no sign of slowing down either.

Oh yeah, new ignition switch and locks to match. We had to break the ignition to get the car from the people who had it before. Meth heads. Long story.

My neph up in East Glacier Montana that I gave :confused: my old 92 Legacy wagon AWD automatic---pristine condition with only 165k miles---reported to me that a few weeks ago he loaded the wagon up with his friends and they drove round trip to a wedding in Missouri and averaged 30 MPG, one tank they managed 33 MPG.

Sincerely, a Subies uncle with a "paint shaker" of a 97 Outback.:cool:

Gee, you would think Meth heads would have energy enough to do more of the maintenence.

HAHAHA! Yeah no doubt, crazy meth heads are up all night and day tweakin.

Speaking of meth heads, they just found the missing remains of a 47 year old woman like 2 miles from my house I think. Way out in the boondocks on some weyerhauser property. And to top it off, a kid who was a senior last year at my school and his cousin were the ones who kidnapped and shot her! That's nuts.

And last week about 12 miles from my house they had a hostage standoff for 14 hours because a guy got mad that his girlfriend was leaving him so he shot her in the hip and the knee and one bullet grazed her temple! Then she got away with one of their children leaving behind a 3 year old I think. He eventually let the kid go and then in the morning he came out shooting his pistol and they shot him dead.

What's happened to the world these days...

What's happened to the world these days...
O.T.

These questions generally never advance beyond being merely rhetorical, but if you REALLY want to know the answers, just research into the origin, creation and subsequent introduction of methamphetamine, LSD, & crack cocaine into society and you will see an interesting pattern emerge - to wit: An addled populace is a manageable populace. :mad:

**** ******!

I have a 91 LS wagon and I now get 20-22 in the city and 25 on the highway. I was getting 18-19 until I replaced my original O2 sensor. According to the USDM 91 brochure I have in my collection (I have a USDM brochure, a JDM brochure both sedan and wagon, a UKDM brochure and soon I will have a EDM brochure written in German) the MPG listed are 20/26 for the 5MT AWD and 22/29 for the 5MT FWD. For the 4EAT the mileage is 20/26 for AWD and 21/27 for the FWD.

I just stuck new wires on the 94 turbo wagon. Plus it's got the stage 1 weight reduction kit (some rust and a fuel leak). We just got a few tanks of ~21mpg. That's pretty good for this tanker :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I drive a 1991 legacy Wagon with 189000 on it. I haven't really checked an average yet, but when we go visit family (and we drive 2/3 highway and 1/3 city) we get 28 - 28.5 miles to the gallon. This is with two adults, one baby and the back packed full of stuff for the weekend. i do really look ahead they and anticipate. I'm not one to drive fast towards a red light (what's the use anyway). Also I accelerate modestly. The game is for instance when going onto the highway to have the gaspedal pressed down as much as I would need to go 70 on the highway (it takes self control).

I average ~25mpg with all my roofracks on (3 thulebars, 4 lights on top)

i get ~27-28mpg with the racks & lightbar off.

This is all the same drive, same gas station fill up, etc...

Today when i filled up, i got ~12 gallons and had gone a little more than 330 miles on that tank, according to the gps (my tires mess w/ my odo.. so i ignore it.)

with the racks on i can get about 280 miles on a tank.

97' OBS, EJ22, 4eat, 176.5k

Wit one handle li'dat, no can be one haole, unless from da i'lans. Oa, mebbe onenna da blalahs no can get da kala fo' go stay Hawaii-ne. Now you go stay da soun', know whea can fin' ono Hawaiian kaukau?

All you buggahs from da reely BEEG i'lan, nevah mine tell me no can unnerstan', Jimmy, he getum.

I from da big I'lan twenny year, and my wahine stay one ka'amaina haole girl, Punaho brat.

Geevum brah!

I'd say 23 is within the acceptable range. My 99 typically gets around 24 in the city and I've gotten as high as 31 on the highway, although 27-28 is more normal. This is on a '99 OBW with 2.5 and 4EAT tranny.

I think it also depends on how you drive. If you can keep it at about 60 on the highway your MPG will improve dramatically.

I'd say 23 is within the acceptable range. My 99 typically gets around 24 in the city and I've gotten as high as 31 on the highway, although 27-28 is more normal. This is on a '99 OBW with 2.5 and 4EAT tranny.

I think it also depends on how you drive. If you can keep it at about 60 on the highway your MPG will improve dramatically.

You know I cruise at 80mph and I still achieve 32mpg. Now over 85 is where there is drastic change.