Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hurley's axle thread

Hurley

WHat is the difference between the axle of a 1992 loyale and a 1987 GL? Why is it that you all say it is much harder to lift a Loyale than it is to lift a GL? I need answers quick!!! I might be buying a 87 GL with 135k miles for $500 and need to know if it is worth it or if i should keep my loyale. I really want thi car and i need to convince my dad to buy it.

Hurley

PS What should i ask the owner about this vehicle?

Um.... lifting should be exactly the same since in 1990 all they did was pry off GL and DL badges and put new ones on that said "Loyale" and add automatic seatbelts. Maybe a few other things. Both had 3.90 diffs. Find out when the timing beltS were last changed and find out if he's one of those idiots who think the car is "all wheel drive" and drove it around with the red button pushed in. Keep thje Loyale as a driver, mod the GL out if it has d/r transaxle.

as far as i know there is no real difference in the loyale vs. the GL, other then they didn't come with adjustable struts and they didn't have the dual range 5 spd. axles aren't different other then spline count suppose to be different between a carb. soobie and a fuel injection soobie but my 86 carb. GL D/R 5spd. wagon takes the same axle as the 89 spfi S/R 5spd. DL wagon took. the catalogs that i deal with at work show only 2 different front axles from 85-92 or 93 and the only 1 kind for the rear for the same years.

as far as the lift kits go all EA82 take the same no difference other then how high you want to go.

i would get the 87 GL thats pretty low miles my 86 has 208,000 on it.

well good luck on your decision.

If you can get an 87 GL with 135,000 miles for $500 and it's not totally beaten up or rusted out, I'd go for it.

The only differences between the 87 GL and the Loyale were options offered on them. Basically they're the same car. Subaru decided to offer fewer options to EA82 buyers when the Legacy came out.

the GL will (most likely) have a dual range tranny, instead of the loyale's single range. not to mention map lights, a rear cargo light, and a bunch of other options. they're virtually the same, but where they're different, the GL is way better.

the GL will (most likely) have a dual range tranny, instead of the loyale's single range. not to mention map lights, a rear cargo light, and a bunch of other options. they're virtually the same, but where they're different, the GL is way better.

What about the GL makes it so different. I asked earlier if it was a good idea to lift my loyale and i got a whole bunch of skeptical answers. If they are virtually the same then why would i have gotten those answers. Could it just be the DR tranny?

What about the GL makes it so different. I asked earlier if it was a good idea to lift my loyale and i got a whole bunch of skeptical answers. If they are virtually the same then why would i have gotten those answers. Could it just be the DR tranny?

who did you ask? if it wasn't here, it was because people don't understand subarus. if it was, it's because of the DR tranny. the stock motor doesn't have enough torque to do anything much with big tires on it without the lo range.

EDIT: I just noticed the post to which y ou were probably refferring...... http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=56877

no offense to most of the posters in that thread, but they didn't offer anything correct, or helpful. you're loyale, with a DR swap, will be just a capable as a GL.

If its a 87 GL is either going to be a automatic or a Dual range. They didnt put the push button 4wds in GL wagon/sedans. Only the DL came with the ************button 4wd.

As far as the axles go, anything 5 speed with variable 2/4wd the axles will all the the same. Turbo front axles will not it

• 3 weeks later...

what kinda lift? are you going to extend the struts 4 inches but leave your diff at the same place? if so,count on not even making it out of your driveway.if however you extend all items 4 inches-extend strut and drop diff 4 inches then you will have stock geometry and you could go forever.

ditto, when you say 4" lift kit, i assume it is one from like ozified or a company? not homemade right? If ur talking nonhomade, dont worry about it. The only lift i can think of that adds excessive strain to the axles is the AA high clearance lift, but its still not horrible. Ask numbchux on that one. Home made, if u drop the rear diff down to, you will be fine.

What kills axles is not the angles, it's the speed AND the angles. You can use them at their highest possible angle forever at 1 RPM. The higher the speed, the more stress it causes. With a loyale having only high range, you won't have the gearing needed to run them slowly. If you put more strain on the axles (suspension lift rather than body), and then go desert racing with it.... get a trailer cause you'll need it for the 500 extra axles you'll require. If you get a t-case and 10" of mostly body lift you should be able to crawl slowly enough to not damage them if you get decent quality axles (you will break other stuff tho - diff stubs, etc). I've never broken a front axle with only body lift, but with my rear lifted 4" on suspension only, and a welded diff, I broke quite a few till I started making my own custom axles with more stretch.

GD

i dont know what kind of lift to get? im new at this whole thing, im wanting 4" of whatever will give me the best performance. is there a sticky on here about nothign but lifts and how to do them? and i would like to see this hime made lift.

most lifts for subarus are sadly body lifts.they do not improve off road performance. they allow you to fit bigger tires.Unless you have a brat or some other rare subaru just cut/pound the fenders until a bigger tire fits.

most lifts for subarus are sadly body lifts.they do not improve off road performance. they allow you to fit bigger tires.Unless you have a brat or some other rare subaru just cut/pound the fenders until a bigger tire fits.

It also gets the belly pan up off the ground - when you get into mud/water you'll be unable to break the suction if the floor is sitting on the muck. Beleive me - body lift is better than no lift - 100 times better.

GD

It also gets the belly pan up off the ground - when you get into mud/water you'll be unable to break the suction if the floor is sitting on the muck. Beleive me - body lift is better than no lift - 100 times better.

GD

very well said. It doesnt only give you tire clearance, it helps a lot more on body clearance. so you dont get hung up on stumps and what not that jump out in front of you :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

Alright here we are, another question by me. So how lond do the axles need to be to put less strain on them? I know someone has made longer axles himself. And what about stonger CV joints? What are they made out of, what kind of material? Can they be made stronger and more durable?

thanks, and what about the CV joints? what can they be made from to make them stronger? and if these two items (both more durable and stronger and longer when it comes to axles) were mass produced i need to knwo how many of you all would buy them?

Thanks,

Justin