Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New pix, tires mounted, fenders trimed... project 98% complete

TheSubaruJunkie

Gonna start a new thread, just because :-p I hate adding pix to page 2 of a post, and these pix deserve their own thread. Sure, she's not muddy just yet, but she's rollin out of the garage on all 4's!!

This should be 56k friendly. If not, just wait :headbang:

DSC00906.jpg

DSC00912.jpg

DSC00911.jpg

DSC00905.jpg

DSC00901.jpg

And the money shot:

DSC00902.jpg

Took it for a short drive around the block, tires dont rub at all... even when the wheel is fully locked. But, once i got it up into 2nd gear and started to gain speed the steering wheel started to jerk alittle. I know its not a CV, since I have none up front and im running in RWD. Im thinking one of the front tires isnt seating properly, and I may have to do alittle more work on the hubs. At least i hope so, hoping its not cause of the redrilling of the rims. Some of the lugs arent 100% perfect, and arent seating properly. Not sure if that would cause problems like this.

All that's left really, is to re-install the engine stabalizer bar, cut the radiator hose, install the skid plate and electronics (CB, Air compressors, maybe a new stereo). Oh, and I need to get some CV's for the front. Payday is Friday and Saturday I'll goto Autozone and order 2 new GCK CV's, so hopefully next weekend I can get it muddy and really test things out.

-Brian

yeah, jibs is right. that hatch looked almost perfect in the pics when it was on Craiger's list:grin:

now it looks just as cool in a beefier way:brow:

looks awesome Brian, keep up the good work! be sure to take some pics on your offroad adventures, i`d like to see what its capable of. just out of curiosity, are you in that thing for say, less than $2500?

$1250 for the hatch.

$400 for the tires.

$125 for the rims.

Lift came from my old wagon, cant really count that. But yeah, i think im still under the $2000 mark. If I added what I paid for my lift, my bumper & rack back in the day... i'd prolly be just over $2200.

The hatch is still in pretty good condition. It wasnt mint by far when i got it. Developing rust under the fenders, drivers fender wil need to be replaced unless i can find a way to keep it from flapping around. While beating on body to clear the wheels I found even more rust.

Oh, and if you think this thing was mint... you shoulda saw my wagon the day i bought it. That car looked like it rolled off the factory line... but i bought it for a purpose, same with this hatch, and sorry... but that purpose was to beat the crap outa it!! I promise I'll do it with love :)

-Brian

Oh, and if you think this thing was mint... you shoulda saw my wagon the day i bought it. That car looked like it rolled off the factory line... but i bought it for a purpose, same with this hatch, and sorry... but that purpose was to beat the crap outa it!! I promise I'll do it with love :)

-Brian

And I hope to be there for as much of it as I can!! I can only see myself in that brat-o-mine for a year or two before I have to swap it over onto a new shell as well.

Man, that's starting to make me wonder about my own lift-

You went 3", i'm planning on 5" with the same size tires.... I might have to go up on tire size just to make it look right. Nothing worse than a 4x4 with too small of tires, they just look wrong.

That thing does look pretty sweet, though. Now go get some pics of it muddy! I want to see what that thing will look like all one even shade of brown.

yea welder, go with some 28's or like 215/75's those are what i run on my wagon with a 4" lift, and they are perfect IMO. The 28" swampers required some trimming in the rear, but ur hatch has a lot more room to trim so shouldnt be that big of a deal, especially with 5" lift. Like i already told ya, it looks really good brian, those rims are very very sweet!:)

Thats a sweet find, i,am sure i will find some wheels somewhere. By the way that hatch looks sweet. I have an 85 hatch thats completly trashed but it runs like a champ. was rally crossing it then I rolled it and now its a thrashing rig. yours looks killer, hope ypu have fun with it, thanks for the info

• 6 months later...