Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea82t faq

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just for comaprison the gear ratios for the gl 5speed dr: 1-3.545 2-1.947 3-1.366 4-0.927 5-0.780 final drive 3.416 1.000/1.592

rx 5speed d/r: 1-3.545 2-2.111 3-1.448 4-1.088 5-0.871 final drive 3.416 1.000/1.196

gl10 turbo s/r: same as rx minus duel range ratios

all ratios are for north amarican spec 4wd cars if wanted i can post 2wd ratios as well

The EA82T never came stock with that 5spd D/R in the config you said.

It came with those gear ratios, but a final drive of 3.7, with a 1.196 low range.

As well, none of the turbo trannies had final drives of 3.416. They were all 3.7 low range.

The S/R PT4WD transmission had the same ratios as the dual range (minus the low range). In 85-86, it was the same as the 5 speed D/R in the GL, in 87+ I believe it was the same as the RX D/R.

i do appolagise for some of my unclear information, one of the ratios is slightly wrong (3-1.448 on the rx dr not 3-1.444 like i posted) and these ratios are taken from the 1986 manual not the 87+ like i thought it was.

and as for the final drives i have writen that as i see it in the manual which has it listed at the front not the rear which for the n/a's would be 3.9 (on my 87 sedan) again sorry for not being clear

i do appolagise for some of my unclear information, one of the ratios is slightly wrong (3-1.448 on the rx dr not 3-1.444 like i posted) and these ratios are taken from the 1986 manual not the 87+ like i thought it was.

and as for the final drives i have writen that as i see it in the manual which has it listed at the front not the rear which for the n/a's would be 3.9 (on my 87 sedan) again sorry for not being clear

Well, in order to get it correct, you need the final drive with all of the reduction gears. Some vehicles, the spefications show a final drive of 3.9 on the rear diff, but a front diff of some other value.

If you wanted to do this correctly, you need to list the front differentials, rear differentials, and any reductions gears in between.

I know this isnt EA82T related.Howver you asked to one person that had blown a headgasket without overheating.

My 1984 brat had been overheated once and for a very short time.two weeks later it blew a HG idling and with the engine only just in operating temp...

My 1987 EA82 blew a HG....

oops both of those had been overheated or close to it..:dead:

Can we argee that the cooling system is weak.

• 2 weeks later...

I read a reply that compaired a Subaru to a GM???? HAR HAR HAR

I used to be a diehard chevy guy, until I figured out that the company went to sh*t beginning in roughly 1996 with the vortec setup. Yes, great heads, but everything else sucked.

I've now given up on GM.

Check out what my buddy is going through on his 96 Suburban:

Starter died, ok- let's replace it. Starter #2- end breaks off with only a couple engine revolutions. Must be a bad starter. starter #3 end breaks off again, these are brand new with lifetime warantee. Do research, found that the timing can jump to 50degrees when the crank sensor goes bad $75. This also causes ring gear breakages and even block breakage in many vehicles. Wow, thank god the block didn't break. Starter #4 with new CPS sensor- block breaks! Close inspection of fracture shows that it has been partially broken for a while because part of the crack has light rust. No repair for this sucker! We are building another engine (350) for it right now, sure hope the sensor was the original problem. If it isn't- it's pipe bomb time! Either way, my buddy is completely pissed at GM. Who doesn't test crap like this before mass production??? I'll tell you- a company in desparation because they are paying out just as much in pension wages for past employees as they are for current employees and have to put the cheapest garbage in their product line in hopes of making a profit as the company tanks. They did get the award for the largest lay-off in history though so good for them.

And after my 99 Astro van that seemed to fall to pieces at 100k, I'll shop elsewhere thank you.

Now back to the ea82t-

I bought one with 155k on the clock and the speedo cable had been disconected for who knows how long. That's fine, it was cheap. Let's race it!

20psi, stock engine, cams, heads, etc. Just a 5th injector and some stuff I fabbed up myself, less than $700 into the whole thing, I ran the crap out of it with the boost gauge barried at 20psi for many hard rallyX's and drags. Ran consistantly low 14's. I took the engine apart even though it still ran strong because I KNEW sthere had to be some internal dameahe somewhere. The thing looked BEAUTIFULL inside. Bearings had a little wear but there was still plenty of hone marks on the walls. I NEVER had an issue with the head gaskets in that thing, I did see those hairline cracks between the valves, but they mean squat.

Yes, the GM 3.8 was one of the best engines off all time but the entire product quality has tanked.

Long live Subaru!

That's an awesome idea..

make a post in the help & suggestions forum and you'll get some people on board.

How about a Wiki to hold the information? That way, users can add and edit information to their liking, and then a few people with knowledge can double check to make sure edits to the wiki are correct.

I could make the wiki, just dunno if I could find enough knowledgeable people to help maintain it.

ummm doesnt GM own part of Subaru....go to GM.com and Subaru is under the list

i think its something in the neighborhood of 20%.

but then i think i heard somewhere that they sold it to a different company?

That can mean that they are in bed together (like ford and mazda, among many other pairings) or it can also simply mean "funding for a restructuring." Peugeot owns a significant hunk of nissan, or bought it at one point in the late 90's.. is some influence felt? I am sure, but its mostly just corporate DNA-swapping.. its how these big companies keep each other afloat so high and mighty over us little folk :grin:

Not that this has anything to do with EA82Ts, but:

GM used to own somewhere around 14% of FHI. Thus, the Saabaru was born (that Saab 9-2X that looks oddly like a WRX...). GM sold its stakes in Subaru, and Toyota bought much of it. That's why Toyota now builds cars in Subaru's Indiana plant. Also Subaru gets hybrid technology or something like that.

It sounds like all of the problems you guys have with the EA82T are simply due to overheating, which is 100% preventable. I am building my 1986 XT Turbo to go out in remote desert areas 200 miles or more from the nearest town, where the reliability of the vehicle can be a life or death matter. These are the (very cheap) modifications I am doing to my cooling system:

-Coolant level float sensor in coolant resevoir connected to a very loud audible alarm inside the cabin

-Overheat sensor connected to the same audible alarm

-Low oil pressure sensor, again on the same alarm

-all new rubber hoses in the cooling system

-properly flushed or rodded all metal radiator (doesn't need to be NEW)

-new water pump

-Zerex Z-05 antifreeze mixed with deionized water

-Mobil 1 Synthetic oil

In the trunk: A complete spare set of coolant hoses (the used ones off the engine), a roll of emergency coolant hose patch tape, and 2 gallons of premixed coolant.

There is no way I will allow the engine to get hot enough to blow a gasket without shutting it down first. These same setups are used on boats and airplanes where engine failure can also be a life or death siutation. They often also use a simple coolant flowmeter to detect water pump failure or blockage before an overheat occurs. Very simple, and cheaper than the cost of new head gaskets!

-Tyler

These cars do have tiny radiators. A Volvo 240 has a radiator with almost 3 times the surface area for the same power output as a EA82T, and they are almost impossible to overheat. Does anyone make 3 core or 4 core radiators for the EA82 cars?

• 1 year later...

that suburban story is hiliarious, Its funny how people drive these big huge lumbering suvs and expect them to be tanks. What kind of american wouldnt want a crap ton of power AND fuel economy. doesnt work that way and corners were cut. Look at the history of the vortec name. Than compare that to a nice little engines series entitle the LS. I am sorry but when it comes to cars your always going to have the stiff going on a witch hunt. Its ridiculous I drobve a 91 camaro with a high output motor that I put close to a g into and I have more fun in my lil scoob. WHATEVER! Its like the saying "dont like your job ************ing quit"

If I knew then what I know today, I would have replaced the radiator with a dual core if yours doesn't have one, and replace all the coolant hoses. That would have saved me two blown head gaskets.

Even through the hassles, I absolutely LOVE to drive Murphy, the $500 87 T-Wag. This fall I plan on getting my dream car, an SVX, and will probably sell Murph. It will break my heart.

If I knew then what I know today, I would have replaced the radiator with a dual core if yours doesn't have one, and replace all the coolant hoses. That would have saved me two blown head gaskets.

Even through the hassles, I absolutely LOVE to drive Murphy, the $500 87 T-Wag. This fall I plan on getting my dream car, an SVX, and will probably sell Murph. It will break my heart.

You better keep him for a back up if you plan on buying a SVX.

Trust me, I own a few of them :rolleyes:

i think its something in the neighborhood of 20%.

but then i think i heard somewhere that they sold it to a different company?

Did you know that GM designed the cooling system of the 80's model Subarus? Look here-->

http://www.GMcoolingsystems.com

Just kidding! :lol:

My EA82T was reliable. Never did get to crank up the boost. Previous owner took care of it but it rusted to death. Engine ran very strong until the end. I hated the engine compartment though with all the rubber hoses. Seems like anything could go wrong with so many rubber hoses as compared to my XT6.

Also Phoenix, I am a long time subaru fan however I respect your opinion and it is valued. More people should listen to what everyone has to say. Even the experienced can learn something. Glad you are a part of this site.

Another thing, I owned a Pontiac Grand Prix GTP, brand new in 1994. Car was excellent and I loved it. It even had its own problems but I expected it. I purchased it following Consumer reports data that it would have electrical, trimming and hardware problems. And it did. I owned it for less than 3yrs and sold it 300 miles before my mileage warranty ran out. This was the only car my wife shedded tears that I sold. WTF? She hates my subarus. The EA82T was one of the more likable ones.

Onward with the FAQ!!!

You better keep him for a back up if you plan on buying a SVX.

Trust me, I own a few of them :rolleyes:

Trust him! I've only owned one for just over a year now. I haven't even driven it 3k yet and multiple issues reared its head. The car was purchased in great condition. Maybe it's just me.

Beware of the tranny and wheel bearings.