Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Allied Armament Update 300 Hp Wagon

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not 100% sure on this with EJ's, but I think you may be wrong here. See, when they turbo a car they usualy reduce the compression of the motor. This in turn leaves you with less torque unless the turbo is spooled and is making up for the lack in compression. But like I say, this may not be the case with this motor his running. But I know it is for the EA turbos.

I'm not saying the turbo is a bad thing, and I agree it would have plenty of power all the time. But still I like high comp N/A engines. It's a bit like riding a 250cc 2stroke vs a 400cc 4 stroke, I like constant power, and lots of it.

The issue I have here is the constant "turbo's are bad for 4x4" cause they don't have any low end torque. Which I think is baloney. Really if we compare a _properly tuned_ mpfi turbo motor to a spfi or carb, the torque lost to compression is negligible. Then add a proper exhaust system and boost control, and you have way more torque as early as 2000 rpm. I think most people confuse the issue with the torque perception. NA motors have a more linear torque curve. Turbos can be more exponential before leveling off. So it _seemed_ like the turbo motor had no balls off turbo, when really it was pretty much the same as stock NA motor.

I like constant power too but cc for cc, NA just cannot do it vs turbo/super. I'd rather have a 300hp v8 vs a 300hp i4/h4. Problem is stuffing the v8 in the same car a turbo i4/h4 will fit in.

A group of us including the rig in this post will be meeting and leaving from Allied Armament's shop at this address: 55948 Columbia River Hwy, Scappoose, OR 97056

at 8:00am this Saturday. I can't remember the exact directions to the Mud Run so meet us there by 8 and you can follow us in.

Just put the address in Google maps or whatever to find the shop.

From HWY 30 look for a sign that reads: Malarkey Ranch Inn Bed & Breakfast on the North side of the hwy. PM me for any details, questions, etc...

Word on the street here in Scappoose is he blew up a rear end RIGHT AWAY, went back to the shop and got another one - swapped it out at the mud run. Then blew it up. Then trying to get out without a rear end he snaped a front axle.

300 hp sounds nice in type, but it seems in practice it just breaks stuff. YAY for my 69 hp!!!!

Pics of the Mud Run can be seen here:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=71762

Word on the street here in Scappoose is he blew up a rear end RIGHT AWAY, went back to the shop and got another one - swapped it out at the mud run. Then blew it up. Then trying to get out without a rear end he snaped a front axle.

300 hp sounds nice in type, but it seems in practice it just breaks stuff. YAY for my 69 hp!!!!

So yes there was one toasted rear end, and one broken front axel. From watching it all happen, then going back and reviewing the footage, it looks like the breaks were from the tires hitting the wheel wells at high rpm. Resulting in a sudden stop of the tire... breaking a diff and an axel.

Having that power was great for the mud, allowed enough umph to get up the hills. Just need to make more room for that tire size on the rig (with more lift and trimming). Otherwise Albie went everywhere in that rig. I know that this gave him a chance to test it out and an idea of what needs to be modified to the rig for next time. Hope to get more subies out there next time too!:brow:

Hmm. Didn't think it would blow an axle before it tore the fenders up.

The fenders were all cut away, it was the wheel well that the tires would hit upon compression. More lift or a smaller tire size would have prevented that.:cool: