Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I cannot find the spare key to my 00 OBW anywhere! Freak accident somehow locked myself out of my car with it running, luckily neighbor is a car salesman and had something to help me out. Still can't find it. Where can I get another one?
Make copies....they don't come with them on the car - all keys are in your hands when you leave the dealership. At least, that's the way it is with the older cars...

• 5 years later...
I have a spare key hidden somewhere under the car. It is without the immobiliser so you can not start but at least open the door.

(only nobody should see you putting it under the car, trailer wiring into bumper is a good place!)

Well, it's not such a good place now after everyone reads this post:)

Well, it's not such a good place now after everyone reads this post:)

Well, first you have to get over here, then you have to figure out where I live. Followed by where I park my car. Ok once you got that far, you have to get inside the car and figuring out that there is nothing really worth stealing.

Additionally there is an immobiliser. But any professional thief does not care about that thing and if he is really a pro then he does not need the key to get in.

Does subaru acutally has deadlocks on cars. Our opel had it. If you pressed the lock key on the remote twice you could never open the door, even not by pulling the lock/unlock switch. In a test it took a retired (read arrested) car thief more then 5 min to force the lock which is the limit in holland. Usually a thief would not spend more then 5 min to open a door. It is quicker to smash the window.

i take a different approach.

i live in a somewhat "ghettoey" apt here in Houston.

Cars, apts broken in with regularity.

My plan is, I leave so much crap in my car that the thieves are afraid

they'll have to clean the car before stealing...

:D

I use the same method. I've got car parts, tires, a rim, sheet metal, a few tools, etc. but a few weeks ago some ********************* was able to find my tire pressure gauge, OBDII diagnostic tool, some tools, and my jumper cables.

I hate the "auto-door-lock dealies"! I also locked myself out while car was running-(far from home) Luckily, I had the window open a crack to get a coat hanger thru.

Go to the hardware store, have a bunch of keys made, keep one in your wallet, give a couple out to trusted friends/family, keep one at work/school.

I am now so paranoid, I won't close the door w/car running, without having a window open... Even though I have a spare in my wallet.

if your key has a "chip" in it (thick plastic head), you should go to the dealer to get new ones

If your keys are just plain old ordinary metal keys, pretty much any hardware store should be able to cut you copies - or, if you have lost your keys entirely, pull the passenger door lock out of the door and take it to a locksmith. it has a code on it that the locksmith can use to cut new keys.

i didnt lose my key, but recently bent mine (have no idea how) and had to get a couple more made...

because older Subarus are not that common in my area, I had to go to our local locksmith because no one else had the correct blanks! :-\ still only cost me $3 to get two double cut keys made. :clap:

and how on earth are you guys locking yourselves out of your cars??? did they change the way the locks work? if i just push my door shut - even if the lock button accidentally got pushed - it "unlocks" when the door closes - I have to hold the door handle up in order to actually lock it (or use the key)

My 01 Outback has regular metal keys, no plastic/chip.

My 01 locks the doors when I start the car, and unlocks them when I shut it off.

As a result, forgetting something in the house after car is started, = getting locked out of car. :eek: (probably what happened to legacyak too)

I was used to my 94 GMC Safari that didn't lock doors till I put it in gear.

:rolleyes: oh yeah - i forgot about that on the newer cars - just one more reason to stay with the older ones!! LOL :D

but really? locking when you start the car??? that is insane - I can see having them lock when it is put in gear, but just starting it??? :banghead: that would drive me insane! I would be trying to figure out a way to disable that little "feature"

but really? locking when you start the car??? that is insane - I can see having them lock when it is put in gear, but just starting it??? :banghead: that would drive me insane! I would be trying to figure out a way to disable that little "feature"

Yeah, if anyone knows a simple way to "disable", I'm listening- I bet legacyak is too!

haha yes you also need decoy keys, like keys that don't fit your car. Then the thief looks in the easy spots, finds a key or two, doesn't fit.

I like the idea of having decoy keys. That's an awesome idea! I might actually use that one. Thanks for that idea!

:rolleyes: oh yeah - i forgot about that on the newer cars - just one more reason to stay with the older ones!! LOL :D

My remote start system locks the doors once the keys are in the ignition and turned to "on", since the car should already be locked when I start it remotely. So I unlock the car, get in it, turn the key to "on", hit the brakes, and within 3 seconds my doors lock. Then when I turn off the car, they unlock. It's really easy to disable it, but I really don't care. Took me about a day to get used to it, and my wife actually prefers this, as she feels more safe having the door locked when driving around. So now I don't need to lock and unlock them manually when we are using my car, which is every time we go somewhere together. The main upside is that you can't get car jacked easily with the doors locked. And the argument that if you get in an accident no one can help you because your doors are locked is just dumb. If you need help that bad, locked doors are the least of your concern! Even with unlocked doors, I have been trapped in cars having to find another way out, so that whole argument is just silly and pointless IMHO. I have also had doors fly open in accidents as well, and if they were locked, they might have stayed closed. So to me there are way more benefits of having your doors lock automatically then not, so I just keep that "feature" turned on for my own safety :)

Now locking your self in the car is easier with aftermarket keyless entry systems in the 1st gen legacy's because of the extra actuator that has to be installed in the drivers door. Since the actuator adds some resistance to the lock, when I open my drivers door from the inside and it's locked, I can get out just fine, but the lock doesn't actually "unlock" fully, but it unlocks enough to open the door, then goes back to the lock position. So if I leave my keys in the ignition and don't manually unlock the doors before getting out, my drivers door will relock itself, leaving me locked out of my car! Kinda sucks, but I would rather have keyless entry and have the risk of getting locked out of my car, than to not have keyless entry.

In 2 years of having my remote start/keyless entry, locking myself out of my car has happened to me only once and it was my own damn fault for not paying attention and trying to save time because I was running late. But I was right outside my house when it happened, so it wasn't a big deal. And it only takes once before you DO NOT do that again :D With my remote start I can remove the key and leave the car running (this also unlocks all the doors), so I just do that whenever I get out of my car and shut my doors. Otherwise I roll down my window slightly or just leave the door open. I got away from that habit when I stopped doing pizza delivery, but I need to get back in the habit of that!

If you have keyless entry in your car and you get locked out of your car, it's your own damn fault! :D

Edited by eulogious

@ eulogious - to each thier own i guess, but i live in a very rural area, very low crime rate - even on the high dollar, high end vehicles (of which there are a few around) - so being car-jacked really isnt an issue here...you have a 100% greater risk of hitting a deer than getting car-jacked...

I can fully understand the doors locking automatically when the vehicle is put in gear - but locking upon start is just plain silly to me, as I also live in northern Wisconsin and it is VERY common to start the car, then get out, shut the door and scrape the ice off windows/remove snow from the vehicle while it is warming up. leaving the door open is not a good idea when doing this, unless of course, you like sitting in snow... :rolleyes:

and - the greater majority of us are human - we do forget things occasionally...

@ eulogious - to each thier own i guess, in Wisconsin it is VERY common to start the car, then get out, shut the door and scrape the ice off windows/remove snow from the vehicle while it is warming up. leaving the door open is not a good idea when doing this, unless of course, you like sitting in snow... :rolleyes:

and - the greater majority of us are human - we do forget things occasionally...

Thanks Heartless, You read my mind... Gosh Darn those carjacking squirrels, raccoon, and deer...

@ eulogious - to each thier own i guess, but i live in a very rural area, very low crime rate - even on the high dollar, high end vehicles (of which there are a few around) - so being car-jacked really isnt an issue here...you have a 100% greater risk of hitting a deer than getting car-jacked...

Like I said, I would rather have the doors locked than not, since they could fly open when you hit the deer. Crazy stuff can happen in accidents!

I can fully understand the doors locking automatically when the vehicle is put in gear - but locking upon start is just plain silly to me, as I also live in northern Wisconsin and it is VERY common to start the car, then get out, shut the door and scrape the ice off windows/remove snow from the vehicle while it is warming up. leaving the door open is not a good idea when doing this, unless of course, you like sitting in snow... :rolleyes:

Meh, it's something that you get used too, like the autobelts. It's annoying for about the first month, then you just don't care, and consider it a convince rather than a hassle. At least I do. I completely understand thinking it's annoying as I did at first, but like I said, I would rather have it than not, so I just got used to it and adapted to it.

One feature I don't think I mentioned (DOH!) is that my remote start will allow me to remove my keys after inserting them into the ignition again. This allows me to leave my car, and then lock it, and still have my keys in my hand, while the car is still running. I just got in the habit of ALWAYS removing my keys whenever I get out of my car, then it's never an issue, since I still have my keys in my hand if the doors lock. I LOVE this feature of my autostart. This feature alone is well worth the install of the remote start. Infact, I will install remote start into the next manual car I own (and probably into my MR2), and just disable the remote start feature, but use it for this feature alone. It's so nice to be able to keep your car running if you need to run back into the house for something small or if you need to scrap something off of your car and you want the doors shut. It's sooo nice. And, not to mention, with remote start, I have no need to open my doors to start my car, so scrapping snow (or anything for that matter) off my car and having my door open is not an issue at all, since I can start my car without opening the doors. So I never have to sit in snow (or rain/mud/sleet/leaves/pine nettles/etc) either, AND it's TOASTY when I open the door for the first time to get into the car ;)

I am not special at all, remember I did lock myself out of my car too! The only reason I locked myself out of my car though, was because of my own stupidity and because I was in a hurry and didn't remove my keys like usual. One time in over 2 years, I can live with that! Having about a .001% chance of locking myself out of my car is an acceptable risk to me! :D

Edited by eulogious