Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Poll: What is your favorite de-rust/anti seize agent?

With all of the rusted on parts DH has been dealing with, I've been wondering, what is everyone's favorite lubricant to use to help break loose rusted on stuff?

And please also post your opinion on stuff that doesn't work....

I've learned WD-40 is good for bicycle chains, but not for heavy duty rusted on car parts....:D :D

With all of the rusted on parts DH has been dealing with, I've been wondering, what is everyone's favorite lubricant to use to help break loose rusted on stuff?

And please also post your opinion on stuff that doesn't work....

I've learned WD-40 is good for bicycle chains, but not for heavy duty rusted on car parts....:D :D

PB Blaster is great---used it yesterday to break loose the huge long bolts that secure the rear control arms and trailing links to the rear knuckles on my '99 Legacy GT. One thing I noticed however, is that PB Blaster has an objectionable odor (like moth crystals).....

Yield by Chemsearch is the best product I've found.

http://www.chemsearch.com/productDetail.asp?country=USA&language=English&language_id=4&countryName=United+States&pLetter=Y&pName=Yield%C2%AE%0D%0A

Having replaced rear shocks on four or five Brats, this is the only stuff to break loose those upper mounting bolts without heating them up with a torch.

2nd choice is Kroil (available in the Seattle area at Tacoma Screw stores).

I always run over the border to Michigan to buy the PB Blaster..probably the best "off the shelf" stuff one can buy...I would like to try the Kroil product, but it is difficult to find even in Mich...I think all the products out there will work for you sooner or later...the more money you pay, the "less patience" will be needed for the penetrant to work

BTW, previous poster was right--PB Blaster has a very strong odor... DH had to change immediately after coming into the house for the night. I told him it was too strong to be wearing those clothes in the house for another minute!!! Even DD was sneezing!!!

Too bad the PB Blaster didn't seem to aid in the rusted on rotor removal...prolly because he could not soak the area very well.... Still undecided on best stuff ... but definetly will try PB Blaster on next rusted stuck item....

I'm going to try to find Deep Creep, Kroil, and Ed's but I believe I read on Kroil's site they only sell customer direct--no retail. We just got our tax refund check :banana: :banana: so I might spring for some other stuff now!! Even that PB Blaster was almost $5 can at Murrary's Discount Auto! I don't know if I will be able to afford something more expensive; Considering how much rusted on stuff there is on this car so far!!!:-p :-p :-p

BTW-- My DD seems to love the :banana: :banana: guy...she keeps pointing to it and "cooing"....:D

WD40 is without a doubt, the absolute BEST stuff in the entire world...for cleaning your hands up after working on a greasy Subaru. Some old folk say it's great for arthreitis too!

BUT- PB Blaster works wonders for breaking rusty hardware loose. I haven't tried the other stuff that people are swearing by. But I think I'll give them a shot.

I usually break out the propane torch (sometimes MAPP gas) if there is a really stubborn bolt then I touch the hot bolt head with an Ice cube and that works almost all the time. Gotta be quick after hitting it with the ice cube though. The ice trick only works on the male threads, it will work against you if you use it on the female threads, ie: axle nuts. Hit the axle with the ice cube, not the nut and have a wrench and hammer, or impact gun ready.

I read on Kroil's site they only sell customer direct--no retail.
That's true; you can order from them just put some company name in the box they don't really care but do require a company name. Sometimes you can find Kroil retail at mom&pop tractor places and stuff. I bought the gallon of Kroil and use the do-it-yourself spray cans from Harbor Freight, that's the cheapest route.