Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ok well a local dealer has a 1990 Legacy LS FWD. Its got all the power options, windows, locks, cruise, a/c, sunroof. And its a pretty pearl white thats in pretty good shape, tires are good, windsheilds good. Its a 16 valve it says, prolly 2.2 right? And it runs VERY queit and smooth, just has a slight problem where it wont idle, just dies at first, u just hold the pedal for a minute and it idles on its own, they said they were gonna fix that. The engine bays clean, and the car has 154k on it, its a 5 speed manual. Heres the things that DONT work

SUnroof is sealed shut (silcone) and motor makes no attempt to move

A/C no work

Trunk release doesnt work

Key lock needs jiggled to work and its loose???

Power seatbelts dont move, i was thinking fuse or the computer needs reset, cause one was in the down and the other was in the up position.

Blowermotor resistors out, only #4 setting works

Thats it, they was 2000$ for it and im wondering if thats an ok deal. i really like the car and would love to stay in the subaru world.

Yeah, $1400 @ the most, esp. since it's only 2WD.

Make sure you check the CVs. W/154k they're either done or will need done shortly. If you can fix the stuff yourself, that's a plus.

If you want to fix the AC, it'll cost you big as it's the old stuff.....if you live on the we(s)t side of WA, you'll probably live w/out it??

Remember DON'T fall in love w/the 1st car you see....look @ a few others.

right right AWD thing i know, thats what scares me about legacy AWDs, as im gonna look for other Legacy's. But hopefully one with a manual
Torque bind is not nearly as common as one might think and it only gets bad if you don't take preventative maintenance. It's not a strike against this car in any way.

Torque bind is AT AND AWD only, as far as I know.

Wrong. Torque Bind is AWD only, but it happens in both manual AND automatic transmissions. The manual is more robust, but if you abuse it enough, it will develop the bind. It is just more common in automatics, as there are more components to fail that will cause this symptom.

I paid 1850 for a 90 LS AWD wagon, has a few dings and it needed a front axle, but everything but the AC works on it. How's the interior? Mine's dirty but no rips/tears... 4 years ago I bought a 91 LS (Thank you Richie!) sedan for $1400, had a reconstructed title and a few dings here and there, but everything on it worked.

interiors fairly clean, its tan. I want a 90-93 Legacy LSi AWD, well LS AWD would be cool too. I just cant find any for sale around here!

90-93 LSi are very rare, LSi=gray leather. If the car has pearl white paint, and it is an LS, it will only have tan interior. I have '91 Legacy brochures from JDM, EDM, UKDM, USDM and ADM (Australia). Pearl white paint and tan interior is available USA only. If most of the extra stuff doesn't work (moonroof, AC, etc) make them come down on the price or walk away. If they have someone who interested in a car they might have had in inventory for awhile, make them come down on the price.

paid $200 for a 90 LS wagon a couple of weeks ago - needs suspension swap (failed air susp) & exhaust - 153K - Auto, AWD - all the power stuff works great including the moon roof - havent checked the AC - still freezing out there as it is!!

also just purchased a 90 L Sedan - 201K - 5 spd, FWD for what amounted to $125 and a couple of junkers. They guy we got it from hauls "junk" cars away for a living & he ended up with this one which he decided to sell. Sedan runs & drives great, only problem we have found so far is no fan for the heater...

Personally, i wount buy from a dealer - they mark them up way too much - as evidenced by the KBB price....

Well, I'm getting back into the Subaru game with a 1990 AWD Legacy LS Wagon. 190K miles, 5-Spd, EVERYTHING works, Minimal rust, and had a clutch replacement 20K miles ago. $800. Intereior is Gray, and Decent! I'll miss the 4-By-on-the-fly of my Loyale, but look forward to 130 HP, aftermarket wheels, and available parts!

Any other Dee-Troy-Ters out here? :Flame:

Fat Tony