Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Please help? Got ripped off on ebay!

Hi, just bought a 1985 subaru brat....it was one owner and said it ran good but it dosnet....when i take off it sounds like metal grinding and you can feel the vibration through the gear shifter...when i gas it hard it stops for a moment....could it be a bearing? or does it sound like it needs a new transmission? I thought it was the passenger side cv joint, so i had a 4 hour crash course in changing the axle.(at night in the rain at mcydees 350 miles from home)But that didnt help... it also pops out of 4 gear sometimes...any kind or help would be gladly accepted....Thanks

-GwyNative

Don't panic... yet. :(

The hesitation at full throttle could be a number of things, some small... the Brat Hedz here will know for sure, but if you're on the lucky side of things, maybe even just a fuel filter.

I'm going to vote optimistically, on the griding sound, vibration, even loose 4th gear... linkage bushings or related, maybe?

Again - confirm with the Brat Pros first, there will be plenty of time to panic later. ;)

Good Luck and Skill,

1989 Subaru JUSTY RS 4WD

127, 669 miles

:-\ JUSTY in 'progress' pics: http://tinyurl.com/3y9h42

Hi, and welcome to the USMB

If you have a brat (or brat troubles) ....youve come to the right place!

FIRST - Check all your fluids to make sure theyre up to levels.

If your CV axles are all ok .....the grinding could be a wheel bearing (or a brake dragging)

Make sure nothing is dragging on any moving parts underneath, and check for excessive play in the front and rear drive shaft U-joints.

(MOST) engine problems are a symptom of vacuum leaks. With the engine running.....open the hood and listen closely for hissing sounds (leaks)

Dont fret too awful much right away..... these brats are TOUGH, and can stand a fair amount of punishment (trust me :grin: )

Feel free to PM me with any questions, Im usually available.

Hmmm, it might be time to panic:-\

It does sound like the tranny could be on its way out. With the grinding (front diff) and it popping out of gear, these are typical symptoms of a bad tranny.

I dont know Ebay policy on stuff like this, but if you had a certified mech look at it and would say in writing that the tranny is bad, maybe you could get the guy to give your money back.

If you decide to keep the car, you should be able to find another tranny here on the Board.

wow thanks for the fast responses....The brat is worth keeping its nearly rust free...i have put 198 miles on it sence i got it and things dont seem to be getting worse...if the wheel bearing is bad then then what might it look like? I emailed the guy about a partail refund but no dice, even threated to take his rump roast to judge judy LOL...

Come to think of it, when I got my brat, somebody had been messing with the 4wd linkage (and/or the whole trans), and even when the 4X4 lever was all the way down to the console, the tranny was still halfway between 2wd and 4wd .....and made a nasty grinding sound that went away when I put it in 4wd (off road of course!) :-p

*Probably NOT your issue....but thought Id mention it.

hi, i payed $2000 for it and no i didnt test drive it... all things being fair i won the auction and was comited to buy the truck...He also shook my hand and said it runs good and it did for about a hour or so...try to imagine altanta ga at rush hour doing 40mph why being passed by big rigs doing 80! all the while the truck bouncing all over the road cause the driverside front tire has a huge nott in it...

i dont think Its the wheel bearing i jackit and wiggled it and its very tight...When the truck is at idle with the hood up you can hear that same grinding sound but just very slightly....he also said he put a new cluch in it, could he have botched the job? could that be whats wrong? thanks again

It does look like its nice and rust free! *checks e-bay ad*

I would look at it like this - You paid to get a nice brat. Its worth putting a little money into it to fix.

If you have a decent (and honest) shop near you (preferably that knows subarus) that could give you some advice on it..... that would be your best bet I think. The subie dealership (at least here in the northeast) is often just as clueless on older subes as your local "wal-mart lube express" will be.

IF said good shop determines its the trans, junkyard d/r trannys can be had fairly cheap depending on whats available locally (any tranny from a wagon or hatch will work too.... just make sure the final gear ratio matches *yours SHOULD say 3.9* - look for the silver plate on the rear diff)

Trannys are cheap. Any 4spd from any EA81 will bolt in.

A couple things to help narrow down your problem. If the problem only exists with the car in gear and driving, its most likely the transmission. Try getting it up to speed, put the trans in Neutral and coast, if the problem still exists then its probably driveline related (CV's, Bearings).

But, as rob stated before, popping out of 4th is a sign of worn internals and its not long after that until the trans makes wierd noises.

-Brian

When i bought Blu off ebay, it was being sold as needing nothing. i told the seller that the final deal would be dependent upon a test drive. Words like restorable usually means the car needs work. Driveable where it is can mean its just driven to the store or around town.

It really doesnt look bad :)

Rust free can make up for a litany of mechanical issues.

nipper

The seller has a responsibility to truthfully describe his vehicle. If he didn't he commited an act of fraud and can be held accountable:dead: . Contact Ebay's resolution center and they might be able to get you a partial refund:clap: . If you can afford to have it looked at by a licensed mechanic and get a list of what the problems are, that could be of good use when you present your case to Ebay and/or Judge Judy. That's still a nice lookin Brat:headbang: , definately a keeper!!! Hope that helps, Frank (fshnidiot)

Posts' like this never cease to amaze me :rolleyes: . From the looks of it you riped him off:slobber: , to get a Brat in that condition for $2000 is phenomenal:headbang: . Buying a car with almost 300k on the clock you should expect to put some back into it. The amount of work done prior to selling also says alot about the former owner. As far as I'm concerened you should be doing the "happy dance":banana: :banana: :banana: . Enjoy your new Brat, Tim

thanks for all the advice....I was gonna try to sell it but i think i will keep it...I put it on craigslist and got flooded with reponses...I also drove it today and it dosnt seem to be getting worse so im gonna drive it till it wont go anymore.... Go to http://www.iwanna.com its a great place to find old subarus...thanks again for all the help....-GwyWnc

thanks for all the advice....I was gonna try to sell it but i think i will keep it...I put it on craigslist and got flooded with reponses...I also drove it today and it dosnt seem to be getting worse so im gonna drive it till it wont go anymore.... Go to www.iwanna.com its a great place to find old subarus...thanks again for all the help....-GwyWnc

Alot of these are close to me too.