Ultimate Subaru Message Board

No subaru's back east?

I was in upstate Newyork last week, and noticed that there were no subarus :eek: I saw two second gen legacy outbacks and one forester, but no EA81's, EA82's, brats, or 1st gen legacys. Certainly not the somewhere around 20% of cars that seem to be subaru's here. Is this due to rust, or do people back there just not drive subarus? I saw a lot of newer american made cars there, which was odd too... people actually buy those?

Please don't remind us about our condition on this coast...

LOL, the winters kill off the ones that saw regular usage out here, they use highly corrosive salt...

Its not that people didn't buy them. Its that most bought a cheap 4wd car and treated them as such.

what cities were you by?

Rochester area. It gets a bit of snow there I understand, so I was suprised to not see old subies everywhere....

Then again, a friend moved here from Boston last year, and his '99 outback looks worse than my '82 wagon, rustwise, so I guess not much would be left of the 80's ones by now.... I just find it suprising that something could rust that fast.

THere's only a sparse few of the EA82's still circulating on this coast. It's the rust that kills them. The only EA81's I've seen on this coast are brats, and one wagon hidden under a rosebush one town over.

Older legacy's are more common, but the rust hole over the rear wheel well is killing those off to.

The 95-99 bodystyle is everywhere.

Mostly newer Outbacks and Foresters here, I swear it's pretty much every other car. I see quite a few Tribecas and 3 or 4 Bajas in the area.

There are only 3 older Gen running around that I see often. An old guy from across town is still driving his 80 something gold wagon that he's had since new. I did notice the last time I saw him, that the car is showing its vunerability to the rust. It's in remarkable condition for a daily driver, he's quite a man-about-town so he's always headed somewhere.

I was in upstate Newyork last week, and noticed that there were no subarus :eek: I saw two second gen legacy outbacks and one forester, but no EA81's, EA82's, brats, or 1st gen legacys. Certainly not the somewhere around 20% of cars that seem to be subaru's here. Is this due to rust, or do people back there just not drive subarus? I saw a lot of newer american made cars there, which was odd too... people actually buy those?

:lol: :lol:

Well,there's two factors here.

Up there,like Albany and north,going up towards the lakes its Dodge cars and scotch drinking.They're in a different world than the rest of NY and New England.

As a matter of fact,Subaru of America recently ran a radio ad clearly stating that the NYC area is now the leading sales market in the USA.

Factor two,you're right.The EA81 cars joined the dinosaur status my '78 and '79 wagon's have.The "GL/DL/Loyale" is right behind them. Mostly due to rot,without question. The early Legacy,now there's a point I've made for a couple of years now. It seems they rotted out quickly too.Pre-galinized bodywork,poor painting,etc. Those cars went ragged fast,to me. There are plenty of examples left down here but they are fading fast too,and most show great wear,but just won't die. I relate these to the '80-84 cars because they also had paint issues and held water in all the wrong places and rotted out all too quickly,while having a reliable engine and drivetrain.

You come down here,boy,we'll show you some real purty Subarus.;) :cool:

BTW my '92 FWD is just great,and solid too,always a NY or MA car. My '78 wagon too,always was within 10 miles of my home,but it was rustproofed properly when new.

I can relate to this issue. I`m questioned all the time as to what kind of car I`m driving whether its my EA82 or my Justy. The guys at work used to ride me about my Justy until gas went over $3 and they were tooling around in 14mpg trucks. I put the challenge out to them by offering a 6-pack if they could show me another 1stgen Justy on the road in the Tri-state area.:grin:

A club I used to belong to had records of $$$$cars$$$$ in the area and there were 3 L88 specials that valued in the 7digit category. My car is more rare than those. Unfortunately, its only valued in the 3digit range.:eek:

Every one of their attempts ended up being a Ford Festiva.:lol: It took them over a year and finally a co-worker brought me in a picture that he took of one in a Krogers parking lot. A red 2wd automatic.

Living in the rust belt, you just don`t see many EA81`s, EA82`s at all. I can`t remember the last time I saw any Brats or XT`s running around.

There are tons of newer Scoob models all over the place.

Subaru in Canada has always been a "problem". Other than the Brat, there was really nothing too different to the average buyer from the early Mitsubishi cars sold by Chrysler Canada, other than price (Subarus were more expensive). They both rusted out about the same and they were plagued by crummy dealers (the Subaru dealers here were mostly "dodgey" and Chrysler mechanics wanted nothing to do with "Jap crap", I can remember getting paid 2.1 to put a rear main seal in a Colt as a young apprentice). So, both kinda got tagged as cars not to buy.

I wanted nothing to do with a Subaru until I bought my first, an '88 DL wagon, for $90, drove it all over for very little money. The few that were sold here either rust got, or "bad" repairs got.

While Maine and Vermont are full of Subaru cars (every second driveway it seems) there are very few in eastern Canada, the west being a different story, there seems to be quite a few out west, but the climate is a lot more temperate.

Dealers here are "hit and miss", though they seem to be trying more, aftermarket parts here are virtually non-existant.

same can be said for here in jax fl. i have had my soob for almost 2 years and i can count on one hand how many other soob like mine i have seen. but none were gl sedans. i have seen three wagons and one dl sedan. cant seem to find in the junkyards either.:confused:

I used to be heavily into Datsuns, and the situation with the EA82's was similar, IMO. There was a "window" when parts and saveable cars were plentiful and cheap, but this dynamic never lasts long.

As mentioned time and time again, corrosion can get real bad real quick in certain areas of the country, and this was the "achilles heel" of this era of Japanese cars. The supply and demand of solid unibodies drives the whole market. If there aren't enough good bodies, there is less demand for mechanical parts, so you get a downward spiral where everything is junked quickly (making it even harder to keep one on the road).

Of course, there are always derelicts around that grab up enough cars and parts to keep their fleets going 20 years or more. This isn't a bad way to go if you want to stick to a certain platform for the long haul. At least, that's my excuse...

good luck, John

There are plenty of old gen Subarus back east- you just didn't stop at enough junk yards...

Andy

LOL

i have had my soob for almost 2 years and i can count on one hand how many other soob like mine i have seen. :confused:

I have to start using toes on both feet if I count EA series subaru's on the quarter mile walk to the post office from my house. I feel sorry for you guys.

On the other hand, I hear that eastern canada has lots of the old turbodiesel veedubs.... on the veedub diesel forum there's always people wondering why someone would even buy the non-turbo ones when an 80's turbo jetta can be had for $400.... maybe in London, Ontario. Here the old non-turbo rabbits sell for $1,000 with bad head gaskets because they are rare. :banghead:

I know right here in New Milford..there is my Bucky a red EA82 wagon ( Nice) a dark grey EA82 wagon ( beat to a pulp and rusted) an EA82 Sedan and a pretty beat up 3 door. Plus 1 XT6 ( thats mine) and themoneypits 2 XT6 in watertown.

definately getting rare though..I must hear at least 3-4 times a week about people not having seen an XT6 in years.

very few here, thats why i was so pumped to find one with a good enough body to daily drive. We have a 84 hatch D/R, 95 legacy wagon2.2, (2)80s sedans and a80s wagon in the field and non of them is good enough to drive. and we've stripped and junked 7 ea82s and a brat and only one roadworthy, but they do make great buggies.

Mostly newer Outbacks and Foresters here, I swear it's pretty much every other car. I see quite a few Tribecas and 3 or 4 Bajas in the area.

There are only 3 older Gen running around that I see often. An old guy from across town is still driving his 80 something gold wagon that he's had since new. I did notice the last time I saw him, that the car is showing its vunerability to the rust. It's in remarkable condition for a daily driver, he's quite a man-about-town so he's always headed somewhere.

the same here :cool: and by newer do you mean '00 and up or '05 and up?

subarus were rare enough in my parts that between me and my buddies we would have higher per-capita population of subarus than anywhere else in the state.

it would be ultra rare to see 2 subarus at the same time in traffic, even with newer gen soobs. but you would see a number of buicks or pontiacs at the same time, or everyone's cars in town came from the same dealer

subarus were rare enough in my parts that between me and my buddies we would have higher per-capita population of subarus than anywhere else in the state.

it would be ultra rare to see 2 subarus at the same time in traffic, even with newer gen soobs. but you would see a number of buicks or pontiacs at the same time, or everyone's cars in town came from the same dealer

I drove across Indiana back in May. I did a count:"7 WRX's 1 Brat and 10,000 Chevy Trailblazers."