Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Loyale 4wd milage?

Antique EA82 DL 5spd gets 45mpg (Imperial) loaded, empty, up hill, down hill.

92 Loyale EA82 5spd, as purchased, gave me 43mpg (Imperial) on a 2000 mile drive home (car currently getting rebuilt).

@ sea level, or near enough to spit into the ocean.

You should probably get about or alittle better then my FT4WD XT6..which gets around 28+ ..will check for sure tomorrow...and thats not "playing" with it:rolleyes: .

A FWD Loyale 5 spd can get up in the high 30s to low 40s...the 4WD ones are carring around some extra weight but can get in the lower 30s.( my 92 Loyale FWD 5 spd gets about 40-42 highway ) . It all depends on your driving style and up keep on tire pressure and tune ups etc.

I don't know? The officel Subaru spec's for the EA82 Loyale on-demand 4WD wagon AT trans say 22mpg HY but i think it get's more!! Because we went from Waukesha, WI to Meqanago, WI to a Wal-mart super center and that's about 15-20 mile's and i only sucked about a little under full, So who know's!!:lol: And my roo was running great and the tire's are new and full 33.5psi on a max of 35psi and then you figure the tire's heat up and then it's at about 34.5 to 35psi SO...........

I don't think anybody will really know for shure??:slobber:

Hope this help's:)

my 87 fwd 5spd gets an average of 31.2 mpg, that is about 460 miles on 14 gallons of fuel. if i fill it till she clicks i will get about 75-85 miles before the needle starts to move. when the light cvomes on i can get about 30-40 miles before its critical.

i can drive from madison to milwaukee and back on about 10 bucks worht of gas (150 miles)

this is with an ecs light that comes on once the car warms up. 175/70 tires

I'm averaging 33+ mpg on my 91 4wd 5-speed Loyale, combination city/highway. My tires are at 32 psi or so, and I drive for mileage not speed. Also I turn off the motor at stoplights and other times when there's no need for it, like long exit ramps.

*thread highjack within topic*

so what kind of average speed do you do on the highway. in my 4wd converted sedan i keep the rpms at about 3200, a touch below 65 mph on 185/70 tires

the 87 fwd 5spd i do about closer to 3500 rpms a touch above 65 mph on 175 70 tires

the sedan gets about 26-28 mpg. the best i ran it for mileage was out of gas thru chigaco and got 457 miles on a full tank, with the car loaded down to the brim

1987 4WD 5Sp D/R--23MPG avg. No matter where I go, if the A/C is on or not. What am I doing wrong? It is also carbed, Hitachi.

I'd start with a can of fuel system/combustion chamber cleaner in the gas tank, and make sure you have a good tuneup, to eliminate the simpler and more obvious possible issues. Also of course how you drive is a biggie. You could also have a clogged front or rear cat. My Loyale's front one started clogging at about 170K.

Well thanks for the vast amount of info. It sounds like a diverse amount from 42mpg to 20 mpg. What a difference eh? I think I get 28 to 34 mpg in the mountains with my foot into it with a passenger. So it seems about right. How do I find out if my Cat's are pooched (the ones on the exhaust not the ones in the yard :grin: ) ?

Thanks for the feedback all, keep it coming.

-Richard

Just got back from a 2700+ mile trip in my '92 Loyale 4WD wagon (SPFI). Mileage was between 30 and 34. We had 2 adults and 2 kids for passengers, and the hatch was loaded up to the windows. Almost all the driving was on the highway at the speed limit, which was mostly 65 or 70mph.

More like 23-27 these days, but the engine's just plain old and not in perfect tune either. In it's prime, 27-30 and that was with a Yakima roof rack. Sometimes, I'd remove the rack for a long trip and it seemed like it would go up by 1-2 pts.

Still love this car...

-JPD

I'm averaging 33+ mpg on my 91 4wd 5-speed Loyale, combination city/highway. My tires are at 32 psi or so, and I drive for mileage not speed. Also I turn off the motor at stoplights and other times when there's no need for it, like long exit ramps.

Update: after a 375-mile trip from Gloyale's house, at 65 mph the Loyale got 32 mpg. Windows up, no a/c, 185/80x13 tires with 32 psi, ignition advanced 4 degrees, 45,000-volt aftermarket coil and larger plug gaps. Frankly I expected more, but still it's fantastic that an inexpensive, reliable, easy to work on 4WD vehicle can do this. I nominate the 1985 - 1994 EA82 cars (especially with SPFI) as one of the best overall practical car designs ever! :clap::headbang::banana:

Pardon the overexuberant use of smilies.