Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Someone rocked my Hatch.. can anyone help??

Cruising down the highway today... and BANG....

P7240314sm.jpg

P7240315sm.jpg

P7240313sm.jpg

Seams like someone hiding in the bushes with a rock wasn't a Subaru fan. Now the question is... How does one find a replacement window for an imported 24 year old Hatch in Australia.

Anyone here have any ideas??

icon_sad.gif

Dave

It's a long shot but do you have any pick-a-parts around you? They were all over the place when I lived in Melbourne, not sure if they've made it that far West though... I'll do some looking around here and see if I can't turn something up for ya... Need an excuse to hit the JY's anyway!!

Just found this online...

Pick-A-Part

11- 15 Cooper Ave Kenwick WA 6107

ph: (08) 9493 4800

or you can get a piece of lexan and put that in place.

Not sure of the laws concerning that other there but it's probably the cheapest way to go.

I have people who are stupid. Long time ago I has some punk kid throw a rock at my dad's car and it hit the passenger rear door right below the window. My sister was sleeping against the glass so had it been a few inches higher :dead: .

I know in some states throwing anything at a car is a felony.

BW

There was a huge police investigation in Melbourne back in the '90s cos kids were standing on the pedestrian overpasses and throwing rocks at cars as they passed underneath..

I seem to recall at least 1 major accident due to a brick going through the windshield while they were going about 100 kph...

In NYC we had that problem with "fine innner city youth" . One women even had a frozen turkey thrown through her windsheild. Needless to say the cops are very good at finding these people, and they go to jail for a long time.

nipper

There was a huge police investigation in Melbourne back in the '90s cos kids were standing on the pedestrian overpasses and throwing rocks at cars as they passed underneath..

I seem to recall at least 1 major accident due to a brick going through the windshield while they were going about 100 kph...

sadly, they do this all the time here in the netherlands, more than a dozen people have died over the course of 1 year as a result from this "vandalism" :mad: so I always watch the overpasses for people.

as for the window, for the time being you could just stick on a piece of lexan,

for a long term solution... it may be very expensive, but if you have no other options, I know that certain companies can reproduce a window in the exact same shape in polycarbonate or any other transparant plastic, they usually do this for racing applications, worth checking out anyway.

Thanks for the replys guys.

Has anyone posted anything to Australia before??? Or have any idea how much something like this would cost to post over?

Also do you think a peice of glass would make it through the post un-damaged... it's looking like taking one of you fine people up on an offer to help me might be my only option.

Dave

I think Rob, Turbone, has shipped some rear disc brake stuff over before. I'm not sure about calculating the postage on www.ups.com, but it might give a rough idea. As far as packing it, UPS has a store semi local. And shipping insurance is included in their price to package and ship items for up to $100 usd. I can look into how they package glass tomorrow.

I've bought a lot of archery gear from the US before. One compound box came in a 100cm by 30cm by 5cm 5kg box and it only cost $48. So I guess you should be able to get similar price. That's 10 to 14 day air mail.

You can ship a whole tyre for $90.. Yes, I've been looking at super swampers....

Thanks for all the support guys. Im seriously feeling a lot better about the whole thing having support from people on the other side of the country that can get the parts i need and are willing to help.

I guess the main question now is the cost for postage... Thanks everyone soo much that has offered to help and if them people are willing, could you please make some enquiries about the postage for me.

And in answer to some of the posts... no pick a part in Australia will have any of these... Hatches are that rare here that i only know of 2 in existance.

To make postage costs easier to work out... my location is Perth in Western Australia and my post code is 6018.

Thank you guys very much.

Dave

SuBaRiNo,

If the cost of shipping from the US is prohibitive then let me know... If there's any way that you can limp by for a month or so my Dad is coming across to the US from Melbourne and has platinum frequent flyer status so he can haul anything he wants back with him for free... bound to be cheaper to post it from Melbourne to Perth than from the US...

:headbang:

VERY generous offer cobcob.... i may take you up on that but i don't want to put anyone out of there way. I will let you know.

I don't know much about postage but isn't there a way that the item gets posted for free but the receiver on the other end has to pay the postage fee in order to receive the item... i could be wrong... maybe thats just for interstate postage.

Dave

Dunno about all that... I do know that my Dad hauled a Peavey guitar amp across the pond to me a while back... Whenever family comes to visit they're either bringing me stuff or taking stuff back to OZ so it won't be too big of a deal... :clap: biggest downside is that he's not coming till sept. so it's not really a quick solution

• 1 month later...

Thanks to Everyone that offered help in getting me a replacement window. I have one on it's way now.

BIG thanks to bratsrus1 (Jerry) for giving me a window and spending a lot of time looking at postage options.

And also a big thanks to cobcob (Dave) for assisting in getting the money to Jerry.

Thanks again guys... hopefully the window arrives in one peace. I will let you guys know when it arrives.

Dave

Window arrived safe and sound today... and it took much less time to get here than i thought.

BIG thanks again to bratsrus1 (Jerry) and cobcob (Dave). Jerry had gone through some extra lengths to help the window keep safe on it's journey with some extream packaging.

Thanks again guys.

Dave