Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ22T into an RX. Here we go

s'ko

I have the RX minus engine w/complete exhaust system.

Will the EA82T radiator be enough to keep things cool?

also is there a turbo gauge or boost sensor on the EJ22T ECU? I wasn't able to find one on the diagram that I have.

I will keep your all posted about the progress.

BW

I have the RX minus engine w/complete exhaust system.

Will the EA82T radiator be enough to keep things cool?

also is there a turbo gauge or boost sensor on the EJ22T ECU? I wasn't able to find one on the diagram that I have.

I will keep your all posted about the progress.

BW

I dont know about the EA-82T radiator, is it a two core? The engine pressure sensor for the EJ-22T is on the passanger strut tower along with the Pressure exchange solenoid and wastegate control solenoid. All on a neat little bracket.

Matt

the hose diameter on the ej is larger than the ea82 radiator. an xt6 would be a better match since the hoses are larger than ea82, and if thy are the same size as the ej's.

if you use a legacy radiator you would have to cut into the radiator support to let it sid down in about an inch and a half, otherwise it sits too high and you cant get it to fit inside its location

i have mock installed an ej22 down into a gl-10 all but the wiring harness and the radiator i never got that far.

this information is based on my attempt

well. Spent a few hours stripping the harness and getting all of the ECU wires apart from the chassis harness. I am 80% done.

Ran into a slight snag with the entire project that might force abandonment b/c the wife is not pleased w/having a 4th car. :dead:

She said that if we do keep a 4th car it is going to be something that she likes. Unfortunately, she doesn't like soobies. She really wants to get a classic car, but that's mucho dinero there...

will keep everyone posted with how that works out.

BW

good luck man, hope you can find a way to change her mind on that one.

well. Spent a few hours stripping the harness and getting all of the ECU wires apart from the chassis harness. I am 80% done.

Ran into a slight snag with the entire project that might force abandonment b/c the wife is not pleased w/having a 4th car. :dead:

She said that if we do keep a 4th car it is going to be something that she likes. Unfortunately' date=' she doesn't like soobies. She really wants to get a classic car, but that's mucho dinero there...

will keep everyone posted with how that works out.

BW[/quote']

Use a brand new METAL EA82T dual row radiator. Have the inlets and outlets changed to ones that match a legacy. I believe it was 2-1/4" Diameter straight in, and straight out (no bends like the EA82's). It cost me $40 at a old time radiator repair place to have this done.

This was for my EJ22 swapped GL Wagon. I rarely have to turn my fan on, usually only in traffic. I put a small 10" fan on the forward side of the radiator (mainly for cleaner engine bay appearance).

My EJ20G swapped RX (UltimateRX) has a similar setup. The outlets however are not the correct size, and have a stepper hose attached. On this car there was fitted a dual 10" fan setup (with shroud and everything) forward of the radiator. This car gets driven more, and a lot harder, so I notice it runs the fans more. However, I'm using the Haltech (Standalone engine management) to turn the fan on and off at preset temps. I opted for fairly conservative temperatures.

All in all, I see no reason why a good condition EA82 Dual Row radiator can't cool an EJ series engine.

Haven't had a chance to work on it.

One question I wanted to kick around.

I have a WRX TMIC that I wanted to use but I don't really want to cut a hole in the hood for the scoop.

Want it to be sleeper stock.

So.... suggestions?

Route air through hoses? I do plan to run a fan underneath the IC to help w/air flow. Maybe the combo the fan and ram air effect of ducts will get air going to the IC.

Is that too much work for the end result?

Haven't had a chance to work on it.

One question I wanted to kick around.

I have a WRX TMIC that I wanted to use but I don't really want to cut a hole in the hood for the scoop.

Want it to be sleeper stock.

So.... suggestions?

Route air through hoses? I do plan to run a fan underneath the IC to help w/air flow. Maybe the combo the fan and ram air effect of ducts will get air going to the IC.

Is that too much work for the end result?

I've seen some goofy under-hood duct work to get air to an IC without having a scoop, and always heard bad things afterwards.

you could see about getting a small FMIC to mount where the A/C condensor goes that might look stockish....

I've seen some goofy under-hood duct work to get air to an IC without having a scoop, and always heard bad things afterwards.

you could see about getting a small FMIC to mount where the A/C condensor goes that might look stockish....

I guess I could mount the TMIC as a FMIC. how does the routing go? Boosted air going into the IC and then into the throttle body. Once again probably too much work to get it to work. Might as well just cut a slit or mount a small low scoop.

a few things...

First I'm running an EJ25 in my Rx with the stock SINGLE core radiator. Not only that but I only have one fan, the stock A/C fan on the "wrong" side(left side) attached to a switch... I usually have it on... but then I don't pay much attention to the temp gauge and don't want to cook it. To "adapt" to the radiator, I just got "custom" searched-through-the-back-of-NAPA hoses with two different ends... one is a flexi hose.

As far as your intercooler, you should buy mine! Flows better then the WRX and cools better, and no scoop! It's the AWIC off of a JDM Legacy.

Here:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=78558&highlight=intercooler

or here for more recent pics:

http://www.awdpirates.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=27218

bosco,\

ill give you a call tonight cuz i want to here more about the projects.

mostly to learn tho.

:lol:

i think you should do a mild hood scoop. would look really clean, but you'll see, that the way the Ea82 hoods are shaped that you might have to section out a piece of the scoop.

ttyl

-Dalton

• 2 weeks later...
Any progress on your project?

You can always do a scoop like this one.Looks like a sectioned down WRX scoop.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2391065/4

No new progress. I am just gathering parts. I think I am going with the AWIC route and make it super stealth. I like what the guy in the above site did for wheels by re-drilling for 4X100. There are sure a lot more choices there and usually sportier than the 6X140 truck wheels. I will probably have a shop or someone who a lot more precise than me do the re-drilling b/c there are no reference bolts to use like in the 6X140 mod.

I doubt there will be real progress for a few months.

• 4 weeks later...

Well I finally got some time yesterday to work on the swap.

The EJ22T engine mounts were torn so I need to get a new set. Does the WRX ones fit?

Also the adapter plate from Rguyver needs to be trimmed about an 1/2 or so in the passenger side in order to clear the turbo bracket.

need to finish reaming two of the flywheel hole and then bolt it all up.

I got the hook up on a cheap TDO4 so I will be looking into getting that put up. I already have a WRX downpipe so it the exhaust if going to be easy to complete.

If you guys remember the FrankenBRAT, I just can't do a normal swap. I always have to add something different to the mix. This time I have been looking into alternative 5 lug setup for the rear. The front I plan to use EJ stuff. The rear I am looking at either a bearing swap to make it fit or maybe getting the EJ hub machined down or the EA82 hub redrilled. Will probably do a seperate post for what I find.

BW

EJ mounts will fit through the crossmembers' holes BUT they will be deflected at a bit of an angle.. I can't remember the angle but I'd recommend bending the mounting ears on the brackets a little to get the mounts to sit "level" on the crossmember.. they will last a LOT longer that way. I'll look at my wagon which has STI square mounts on an EJ22 and let you know. Might be able to get a picture for you.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Thought i would resurrect this old thread today b/c I drove the RX to work today.

I was conservative with it b/c I am still uncertain about it's reliability.

The first thing that happened was I noticed that all of my gauges stopped working. volt, temp, oil pressure and fuel. I think there is a short or a blown fuse somewhere. I checked to see if the car was charging and it was so I decided to continue.

About 15 mins into the ride, I get a CEL. Things are not going down to tubes so I continue on. (CEL turned out to be injector number 1)

Impressions. Ohh my gosh is this thing fast. Cruising at 70 mph, the tach was set at 3k rpms. slight hiss from the blow off valve doing it's job. The TOD is still there, I will get some murphy and see if it won't go away with a treatment.

Car grinds a bit down shifting into 3rd gear. Looks like I need to pour some of uncle scotty's cocktail into it.

Last night I had a friend of mine bleed the brakes for me. After it was all done, we went for a spin and I showed him FT4WD low range lsd goodness and did a sweet peel out. He has a 450 HP WRX and he was pretty impressed.

Things to take care of now are-

1) gauges.

2) injector error.

3) HVAC system. some reason there is a short there after I removed the dash molding to get to the cluster

4) route the BOV into the intake stream. (original set up is a bypass valve)

5) uncle scotty's cocktail

6) TOD (MMO treatment)

7) install intercooler sprayer

8) fix muffler leak

9) fabricate hood scoop. (see thread in old gen for info.)

Then once I am sure that the car is running well go to the SMOG ref and get it smog.

BW

1) gauges.

3) HVAC system. some reason there is a short there after I removed the dash molding to get to the cluster

i would bet these 2 are related. IIRC they have the same power source, when I had the dash apart in my '85, I crushed one of the little backlights for the HVAC system, which shorted, blew the fuse, which took out everything.

also, I'd highly recommend the Rislone tranny treatment before the cocktail. seems to clean things out really nicely. in fact, I'm thinking about going back to Rislone, I'm just hesitant to drain $40 worth of tranny fluid for an experiment :eek: