Ultimate Subaru Message Board

A Brat's Neglect...

A simple story of typical neglect, in pictures!

CIMG2561.JPG

CIMG2563.JPG

CIMG2565.JPG

CIMG2566.JPG

CIMG2568.JPG

This is why my buddy was able to buy the brat for $700 3-4 years ago. Its also why his wife made him get rid of it for free to ME. That was a year, almost 2 ago. I've driven it, i've beat on it, and i've parted it out.

However, since I went with my buddy to pick it up, I've known this Brat. I've been attached to it. And, when it became mine, I new that this was my brat.. the one I've wanted.

So, IF and only IF I can fix this rocker panel, will I put her back together. Mostly as I see fit, with more power than is necassary, larger wheels than anybody should put on a brat, and no... It won't see mud.

So... What say YOU? Do you think its fixable? How much would you spend to fix something like this?

Right now, I'm tackling this project on 2 fronts. I have about 12" of rocker panel out of a EA81 wagon that my buddy is going to try and use to make a new 48" long piece. He's a master welder, and damn good fabricator, so we'll see what he comes up with. The other option, to not put all my eggs in one basket, is getting a rocker from Monstaru, cut off his Brat he's parting out.

So, I guess only time will tell!

Thats a fairly easy fix Tex so long as the rust problem doesn't continue into the floorpan. Even if it does, it's not too terribly tough to fix, just more time consuming. Just cut as much of the old rocker as you can (and as close to the seams as you can) then patch the new rocker into it. You can also drill out the spot welds and weld it into place like factory but thats a lot of work, plus you'd have to do the same on the parts car on the "new" rocker.

Zap... You're the best!

Unfortunately, I don't have the scratch to pick up another car... even if its just for parts. I'm talking with my welding buddy tonight, see if he can come through on the reproduction pieces made from the rocker pieces I grabbed at PAP.

And, most of the brat is already gone... The engine and transmission live on in Markjw's rig. Edrach has the seats. I was in the process of parting this baby out till in my heart I felt something just not right.

Luckily I have been able to stash the Brat in a garage, with some nice work area, so atleast i'm not having to move it in and out all the time.

It is reassuring to hear people say... oh, thats not too bad at all. That really gives me hope. Thanks!

On a brighter note... which iteration of an EJ would you put in a Brat? 2.2 or 2.5 NA? 2.0, 2.2, 2.5 Turbo?

Well, the way I figure it... I got the Brat for free. So really, as long as I don't spend heaps on it, i'm not really out anything.

Maybe we will just have to cut it up for a trailer... Or maybe to graft into the back of a Merkur.

I'm hoping it will end up looking good like 88hatchmonsters:

DCP_5388.jpg

I'd think an n/a 2.2 would be the cheapest most reliable way to go. That and I'd be terrified of a bunch of hp in a friggin' brat. They handle like crap.

An EJ18 would be cheaper yet and more compatible with slightly less HP. Too many EJ18's on the market since everyone is swapping up to the 2.2 or 2.5. A more reliable engine and less gas consumption.

I've been through the whole rust repair hassle and welded a boat-load of patches in. For anyone doing this I recommend buying metal adhesive and glueing most body panels in....I wish I had done this.

thats what i am thinking about doing for some of the repairs. i still want to weld the structual stuffs, but i am going to go through and seal the seams with adhesives and such once i get it sured up.

Would be pretty easy to make some lengths of rocker section like 88HatchMonster did if you have access to a sheet metal break. You can make some amazing, professional looking stuff with sheet metal. Could even do them from stainless if you are so inclined. Wouldn't be a bad idea to invest in one for future projects. Just a small one would do for the small section you need.

GD

Check this out:

http://www.taunton.com/finehomebuilding/how-to/video/bend-sheet-metal-without-brake.aspx

With a bit more engineering you could make a nicer setup that could bend over 90 degrees (bevel the 2x on a table saw for instance), and by adding some handles to the break you could get it to handle thicker material....

For a one-off rocker peice it's definately doable. For very little money you could make the peice you need. Again - I would consider using stainless. But it is harder to work with and doesn't weld as nicely unless you have access to TIG. It welds nice with stick, but sheet metal isn't real condusive to that....

GD

you gotta let me know man.i really am not going to cut stuff if you are not sure.........

i have a brat body that could be put on a trailer and towed back for real cheap if you wanted the whole thing.different rust issues that could just be cut out.it is really not that bad at all.i am just done with her.i took her as far as i wantedd to and it is time to let her go.so i thought i would offer up bits and pieces.

but really someone could make a wheelin rig easily out of her.nothing structural really.

cheers, brian

Can someone get me the a sketch of the profile of the rocker as well as a length? I can program the waterjet at my work to cut a replacement out of stainless, carbon steel, cold rolled etc. and then bent on the brake

If there's enough interest I might be able to get a limited run done here for a reasonable sum! (I need a set for my Brat soon I think) :clap: