Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Stoked! Back in the Old School with my '83 GL10 Brat (with PIX!!)

Ok onto the story.

This is not a stock brat. It looks fairly stock at first glance, however there are a few things some may notice.

1) power windows

2) missing side steps

3) Power Mirrors, Cruise, A/C, Power Steering.

The Gentleman I bought it from is a USMB member. Will Smith. His prior business was buying insurance wrecks and repairing them then reselling them. His method of repairing is to cut the good front off a wreck, and weld it to a good rear. What we have here is a 1983 GL10 Wagon front end, welded to a Brat rear end. Even at close up, you could never tell. Not only does it look great, but I trust his workmanship and feel this car is as structurally sound as any Brat out there.

Will is unable to finish this project he started, all that is left is putting the interior back together and the trim. He told me he removed the side steps and filled in the holes. Not sure why, but i dont mind since there are no jump seats anyway and i have no plans on installing any.

Also while talking with Will, i mentioned how disapointed I was that he didnt chose to use a Brat with T-Tops. He told me he did, but he could never get the T-Tops to seal propperly so he filled in the holes. Again, looking at it... even under a microscope, you would never be able to tell.

The car runs great. It has every option available in 1983, the only problem is the transmission. THe input shaft bearing is bad, and when it siezes the engine stalls, so I need to replace the 4 speed.

It looks like he painted the interior black, and has a custom black headliner as well. He had a slanted radio console paint matched that he threw in. And those rims on it now wont be there for long, because he had a set of Alloys he sold me (he wasnt willing to just give them away, and when you see them you'll understand why).

So yeah, thats about it. The story as I know it. First thing first is getting it titled in my name, which I gotta smog to do, which it needs a tranny to do. Then I want to install a Targa stripe and it will eventually replace the Legacy.

:clap::headbang: Brian

Heh so he's sold another one! Thats the gent I got my 87 Brat from I believe. He had the rims too, nice rims, I just didn't have the extra money at the time.

Glad to see it made it to another home. Oh and you dont have to smog it if you cant drive it..Just register it PNO, and you can get the title done. Worry bout the trans and registration later :)

Nice score!!! I was looking at that one too but don't have the space for another ride at the moment. That and being a section job I was a little skeptical on it. Good to know it was done correctly and still has the same structural integrity as a stocker. So you're going to do an EJ swap, anything else good?

No other plans right now, just going to pretty it up. Put the Brat Targa Stripes on it.

I drove it around the other day, and the transmission whines really bad. Car was running hot as well. Im hoping its just the extra drag on the transmission thats causing it to run hot... I guess i'll know more when i start wrenchin on it.

Hey Brian, I'm heading to Tahoe again this Sunday and might be able to bring it back for ya sooner if ya want. Would be able to drop at your place on Monday as long as Jibs is willing to meet in Tahoe South Shore. PM if ya want

I Got some parts for him he needs to pick up from me. That and im going to have him help do the swap :grin:

depending on how the roof is welded together.... it would be neat to put a sunroof in it..... give it the FULL GL-10 package... well GL-9.... dont recommend a digidash

It was cut and welded at the A pillar, so the roof is fine. Except, there used to be T-Tops but he filled them in. So if I tried to install a moonroof, i would have to cut through his T-Top patches.

I dont think im going to do anything to the body, except for install some Targa Stripes :)