Ultimate Subaru Message Board

out with the old.......

monstaru

that lift is long gone.wow, swear to god it went to someone witha silver hatch!

anyways,i have some pieces being made for me by a friend of mine at a machine shop we have been doing some work for.and some other parts coming from other favors.so it will be a a bit before it is lifted.but i have plenty to do in the meantime.

rewire the engine bay to my liking,clean up the motor from sitting for a year.etc,etc..cheers, brian

i stripped down the engine tonight,to get her cleaned up.she rotates freely so that is good.

i picked another rebuilt weber up a couple of weeks ago to start off with.

i will finish cleaning up the block tomorrow,and get the cam gears off,so that i can put on the new timing pieces when they get here.

gotta find some exhaust options,hopefully a header is in my future.but whatever.

basically everything i did to the brat i will do to the hatch and a few extras that i never got around to.

the lifts blocks will get to me next weekendish and i can start that.

already have quite a bit that i need.like almost everyting,just a matter of assembly.

i had just done bearings,bushings,and such on the brats front end ,fresh disc stuff to the rear,so all of that is going on as well.should be pretty solid when she is put together.cheers, brian

picture.php?pictureid=217&albumid=29&dl=1223099207&thumb=1

can yo9u believe this is freshly turned?:lol:

picture.php?pictureid=215&albumid=29&dl=1223099207&thumb=1

Edited by monstaru

picture.php?pictureid=224&albumid=29&dl=1223183873&thumb=1

some front view

picture.php?pictureid=225&albumid=29&dl=1223183873&thumb=1

got some cleanin' done on the block today

picture.php?pictureid=226&albumid=29&dl=1223183873&thumb=1

and finally, some clearanced disty love.still have to adjust the mounting on the top slide hole,add the adjustable advance,and o ring it.

i was lucky enough to find a reman'd disty at the yard as the price went up 50 bucks since i last did this!just happened to say top myself, i wonder,is there a disty here for me?and sure enough there was.20 bucks as opposed to almost 90 now from the auto shop.woohoo,hopefully i will have my backside timing covers this week sos i can slap it all back together.

oh, and subies are my crack, i was wondering why i was not the same when i wasn't wrenchin on stuff almost daily.........better than crack i think.:slobber:

checked out some other carb options today as well.someone buy some of my stuff so i can buy it!!!!:grin:cheers, brian

cheers, brian

Edited by monstaru

• 1 month later...

ok, so i been huntin for a few weeks and doing nothing on the hatch.

well,at long last i got something done.

before:picture.php?pictureid=321&albumid=29&dl=1227224334&thumb=1

during:picture.php?pictureid=323&albumid=29&dl=1227224334&thumb=1picture.php?pictureid=322&albumid=29&dl=1227224334&thumb=1

picture.php?pictureid=324&albumid=29&dl=1227224437&thumb=1

after:picture.php?pictureid=326&albumid=29&dl=1227224437&thumb=1

now, i did this mod to the brat as well,i learned some things,like seal the seems and such. which i did with regular black rtv as to remain flexible and be able to be reapplied.

i was going toweld, then rethought as it would be really lame to have to replace a fender and have to cut it off.i was also going to use allmetal(an epoxy type filler) to do the seams but same ending difference would have occured.

i used stainless steel self tapping 1/4 screws with sealing washers to hold the folds up.a few pie cuts and all of the rough edges were pounded to fold over with the good ol' ballpeen, then sealed with the rtv.

if you want to see more photos of the process you can go here.

the lift is hopefully here in a few weeks.some of the other goodies are in the works as we speak.we shall see how it goes.cheers, brian

so, lets do some explaining.

when the last project i started died in a crash and burn session i was not really going to do anything for a while.i was pretty bummed that i got as far as i did with it and did not complete it.

it was really a space issue.that, and i have a tendency to go through cars like i used to go through women.quick..........when i got fed up i sayed ************ it.......

then we acquired this hatch for free,and after waiting for about 2 months for the title it finally came and my partner,whom will remain unnamed (baccaruda)had already decided he did not want to be involved in the building and selling of the car.

so i said to myself,self why do you not use all these parts and resources you have to build an offroader again,and i said to myself that i would be dumb to not have a project for the winter.

sos it was decided.build it and they will shun...........:grin:

the newest progress can be found here

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=93159

i do not want to just come right out and say what i9 have planned because it is obvious enough i hope.as far as i can go without putting solid axles on it.

i will post up pics and some important parts of the build as they come .cheers, brian

• 3 weeks later...

ok, so as soon as i got the lift components being figured out i had to do some work stuff(nice right before christmas for the dough)....couldna turn it down ya kinow.

anyways,there is alot of metal work i need to accomplish for this project,and cutting stuff witha grinder rarely gives square cuts.so, i am on the hunt for chop saw.

it also requires some crazy holes drilled,and my front hubs are begging to match the rear so.......i picked this up yesterday.built a base for it today, got it leveled and will do some lubrication and testing this weekend.

IMG_2310.jpg?t=1229049026

it will be nice to have this sweetheart as i picked her up for dirt cheap and she has a 5/8 inch chuck.i will be able to utilize any dang bit i come across.

here is a pick of the lift components so far.the nicely well built beautiful ones are from Bill Omlin(the beast i drive).the others are pieces of steel i had lying around.they will be a conglomeration of both for a good lift subframe combo.

IMG_2311.jpg?t=1229049584

i will be picking up steel this next week for the subframe front to back and side to side.

as soon as i pick up a chop saw i will be cutting the peices for the engine crossmember as well.

my neighbor and another friend have assured me that when i need to weld i can , so i will be working on the welder slowly as to get it right.its relevance is to eventually be on the rig itself, so not only do i want it,but will eventually need it.as i break things from not knowing how to drive...:rolleyes:

this update has been brought to you by deschutes brewery,specifically.....green lakes organic.cheers,brian

Edited by monstaru

well, as it stands, it will only be about 6 to 8 inches of lift.with a sammi t-case.the diffs are 4.44's.the rear is already welded.i want an lsd front, but i do not have one.

it will be subframed,obviously for the t case.currently i have 235/75 15's for the tires(off the brat).six lugged,rear disced,ej2 carbied with a newer carb setup than i had last time.a few other surprises.i was trying to win a show with the brat, and put it in the wrong category.niot this time.i just wanna drive it.and learn more about driving.we all know, especially you scott,that i am not a good driver..:lol:

crawl ratio at basic standards is not very good only like 56:1....

when i can get the gears for the t-case it will jump to 162ish to :1

simple lightened hatch.looking at about 150hp with good gearing.eventually turning into a buggy.have no idea when it will be done.but i should at least have a basic edition done before the end of winter.meaning driveable.cheers, brain