Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Survey: EA81 Oil Filter Price

Am I missing something, or has an ordinary oil filter gone platinum?

This is for a genuine SOA oil Filter, #SOA5165100, for my EA81.

Up until today, I paid no more than about $6 for this filter from the dealer. Not just from one dealer but several dealers, in different cities and states.

Since my local (and favorite) dealer, South Shore Ford/Subaru in Tahoe went out of business last month, the nearset dealer to me is in Carson City, Michael Hohl Honda/Subaru. Their service people are all really cool, a very pleasant atmosphere.

The parts department prices however, are ridiculous. Today I went to get the oil filter described above, and the price was $12.19! Holy cow..the oil filter for my Acura costs that much, and it's a weird, one-year-only type. I was also contemplating changing my thermostat, but not with one bought from there :mad:.

I'm certain that I've been ripped on this one, but I'd like to know what everyone out there is paying for the SAME PART, AT THE DEALER.

If you can, please post the price paid, and at which dealer.

Thanks

Those aren't the same as the dealer though.

Last time I bought one at a dealer it was $5.99. Been a year or so since I owned an EA81 though and I stopped buying filters at the dealer.

Aren't dealer filters Purolators or something?

Edited by mikeshoup

I`m not Sure if EA81`s and EA82`s can Use the Same Filters...

I Purchased one at the Dealer some time Ago, `cos I was at the Dealer in a Hurry (Went there Searchin` for another USMB Friend Subie`s Part) and I Needed to Change my EA82`s Oil that Day very Urgently (I was About to do a 600 Kilometers Trip)

The EA82 Oil Filter cost me at the Dealer Around eight US Dollars (Around 160 Lempiras, our Currency is about 20 per one US$) and I Consider it VERY Expensive... but they are Certainly "Made in Japan" Subaru Brand, not aftermarket ones for sure...

I almost Always put in my subies Purolator Brand, I Buy `em at our Local Wallmart (Called Here "HyperPaiz") Store, "Made in USA" for $ 2.50 (50 Lempiras)

Why Don`t you use Aftermarket Oil Filters?

Not Mean to Hijack the Thread but:

... I went to a 10,000 mile oil change interval.

Holy Cow! ... You Change your Subie`s Oil at every 10,000 Miles? ... That Means around one Oil Change Per Year! ... :eek: ... How does your Subie Handle That? ... Synthetic Oil? ... Did you Have Any Issues / Performance Changes \ Leaks?

Thanx!

I've never bought an oil filter from a dealer... but The Michael (butt)Hohl dealership in CC is a rip

I paid almost 30 bucks for a clutch cable from them when i lived in Washoe Valley. It was the only dealer close enough to get a ride to.

I buy the NipponDenso oil filters through RockAuto, 10 @ a time, along with whatever other crap i need to buffer the shipping costs. No complaints.

My $0.zerodeuce

since we are so good at hijacking.....

purolator AA advance auto series, red textured makes removal and install easier

they had a buy one get one free sale, and bought every one they had, total $ 1.44 EACH :banana:

the CORRECT part number is 15208AA000 :rolleyes:

*Part 15208AA000 is superseded by 15208AA001.

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103007

http://www.ahgwa.com.au/includes/download_file.php?file=../userfiles/Dealerships/Subaru_Osborne_Park/files/Parts/Common-Parts-March-2008.pdf

Not sure if the EA81 filter the same as the EA82... but I seem to remember about $6 to $8 last time I got one at the dealer. I stopped using those, and switched to the Mobil 1 fancy ones because I went to a 10,000 mile oil change interval.

EA81 and EA82 uses the same filter

Check this out. These folks are very good. You do pay shipping, but if you buy bulk, it turns out OK. I mostly buy Nissan OEM filters for my 94 Altima's and the 87 Brat. The filters are the same. The Nissan's come from Japan. The Subaru, I am not sure, but should be. The Subaru link for the Brat filter is:

http://www.worldpartsexpress.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=getLocator&siteid=214078&chapter=ANL735&appSectionid=1&groupid=10020&subgroupid=20099&componentid=61140&make=32&model=Brat&year=1987&catalogid=1

The Nissan link is:

http://www.worldpartsexpress.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=getJointLocator&siteid=214078&chapter=&sectionids=1,0&groupid=10020&subgroupid=20099&componentid=61140&make=25&model=Altima&year=1994&catalogid=1&displayCatalogid=0

The Nissan filter is ~$0.50 cheaper. I have used these on the Brat for many years now.

Not Mean to Hijack the Thread but:

Holy Cow! ... You Change your Subie`s Oil at every 10,000 Miles? ... That Means around one Oil Change Per Year! ... :eek: ... How does your Subie Handle That? ... Synthetic Oil? ... Did you Have Any Issues / Performance Changes \ Leaks?

Thanx!

Yeah, full synthetic 5W50 oil. And, it burns about a quart every 1000 miles or so (no leaks though...), so it actually goes through about 12 quarts over that 10,000 miles, not just 4... It runs alot nicer on the synthetic, especially on startup when it's cold which is the main reason I do it (on a 5 degree day, it'll only tick for four or five seconds upon starting, instead of a minute or more -- 240k on the motor). Seems to have a little more high end power too, but not sure if that's just a figment fo my imagination... :)

i remember reading somewhere that subaru subcontracted the mfg'ing of their oil filters to fram's parent company. anyone got reliable info on this?

i paid $8 for each filter at the turlock, ca subaru but they're outta business now, too.

i order parts from 1stsubaruparts.com and make sure i add a few filters each time. they're like $6 for each pair and if you're already ordering other stuff shipping isn't really an issue.

if i buy a filter locally, i get a mobil1 filter at kragen's for $9.

i remember reading somewhere that subaru subcontracted the mfg'ing of their oil filters to fram's parent company. anyone got reliable info on this?

That means little - just because a company makes a low-end product like Fram for the consumer market doesn't mean they don't also (likely) make high-end filters for the industrial markets and can make whatever you want. They are made to Subaru's specifications and THAT is the factor that needs to be considered.

My company builds and sells compressors (among other things) - if you want a cheap POS - we will sell it to you. If you want the custom hot-rod of compressors - we'll build you that too. It's about what you ask for. Fram IS cheap crap, but any good manufacturer has more than one level of product line to sell.

My dealer is less than $6 for filters, so yes you got totally hosed. My Napa is 4.99 for the EA81 filters, and $3.99 for the EJ filters. WIX OEM of course.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

Burt, Autonation, Flatirons.....name some more i have forgotten them all by now.

Superrupair is not technically a dealer, but they carry subaru OEM parts. That's usually where I go.

And Shortline subaru down in Aurora, and Mike Shaw subaru in Denver somewhere.