Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Why are suby transmissions so heavy?

Yes, I know that they have 4wd and the front differential included, whereas most transmissions have those separate... but, geez, it's just a little car (especially the EA81 and EA82) and it weighs a bit more than the 4 speed from my Mazda truck, or the 5 speed from my Mitsubishi truck, which, theoretically are much heavier vehicles. And that's the EA82 5 speed dual range. The EA81 dual range is even heavier yet. It feels like it's getting close to the whole EA81 engine...

A different topic... I'm putting an EA82 SPFI intake and ECU/etc on my EA81, before bolting it back to the 5 speed dual range and putting it in the '82 wagon. Should I also pull the heads and port and polish them? It's sitting on a bench in the nice warm workshop, and this is going to be the easiest time of any to do that...

Z

i've never tought the EA82 manuals were all that heavy? now the automatics...they start getting beefy.

i'd think you hit the major points. it's a true 4WD transmission and it includes parts which are typically separate in a truck.

trucks have a transmission, transfer case, front and rear differentials, and driveshafts and other mounting components to make that work. i'd guess all of that easily outweights the equivocal functioning aspects of the soob trans.

Not that this is the reason but . My at 2.2 tranny is freakin HEAVY! holy crap:eek: and I have a 350 tranny thats half its weight...I presume its just having the additional diff on the front plus the TC...Just concurring that the AT trannys are tanks!

Some domestic transmissions don't include the bellhousing as part of the transmission, it can be a separate piece.

You've got your answer: 4WD, beefy internals, bellhousing included.

At least the case is made of aluminum, otherwise...

Yeah.... my GMC shortbus has a cast iron transmission that I'm sure weighs 300lbs or more, even just being a 3 speed.

Most transmissions that I've worked with have included bell housings... but I rarely work on american made vehicles or vehicles with more than 4 cylinders either.

ok I'll skip the t-case and whole transmission weight topic and go to the PnP. Porting won't hurt it but don't go ballistic; basic casting flash cleanup is good enough and SKIP the polishing- don't cut back the turbulence as it's good as is and polishing will hurt rather than help so I've been told, unless that is you are going ballistic on your build and trying to get 110+hp.