Ultimate Subaru Message Board

LSD 3.70 repro sticker ... a concern

Hi all,

I've got a high-resolution recreation of our favorite sticker to spy at the junkyard; I'm going to make oversized (6"x6"?) bumper stickers and some shirts; my original intention was to make reproductions of the actual sticker on the differential because they get worn out and beaten up (go figure!).

The best stock I can find on which to print them is not quite the same sort of silvery that the originals are, but these are going to look Really Close. Close enough that it occurred to me that they could be used to scam people into buying open differentials with this sticker on it. I don't see this happening widely, because most people in the market for an LSD know how to verify what they're getting, but I would feel bad if my sticker were used for that purpose.

I'm going to sell them, but I'm wondering what your thoughts are on whether I should try to restrict selling them to people who can prove they have an LSD, or not? Trade in your old ratty sticker for a new one? Cause they'd look really cool on the lid of a laptop computer or a toolbox as well as a real LSD :burnout:

lsdtiny.jpg

I think it would be OK.

I mean, at a certain point you just have to figure that stupid people will be stupid. You can only go so far as to protect them.

Put me in for a shirt, some underwear, a whole bunch of stickers, maybe a set of sheets for the bed at home...

can you make them with 3.9 ratio?

my sticker is sort of rubbing off on the blue letters, and I edited with a sharpie so mine says 3.9 over the old 3.7

I think it is important to show the ratio so if someone ever needs to swap a tranny, they know what the rear diff is too.

I would buy one if it said 3.9 mine is a clutch type converted to 3.9 ring gear.

limited slip underwear, that's funny... I'm glad I thought of it :D

bheinen, I don't know about making a 3.9 variant although I want to; it'll depend on minimums. I might just make a matching 90 square to go over the 70. As far as the Datsun peeps are concerned, I'm going to sell it to them too! :lol:

BWB, prices are as yet unknown. Less than $50 each, though. ;)

I don't think people will try and scam with that sticker. Honestly, if you can't figure out how to do a .5second check to verify it, you probably shouldn't be trying to install it yourself. It's not like a live axle where it takes effort to find out even if the axle is out, you just grab the stubs and twist in opposite directions.

Maybe you can sell a 2nd version of the LSD label for those of us that have converted to a 3.900 or 4.111 version (not sure what part number I'd be using for that). But I would buy some of each.

Edited by edrach

4X4Welder, I hear you on that but I've seen a lot of LSDs on eBay and craigslist without the stubs or without the cover off to expose the chunk.. I feel better having everyone here tell me I'm full of it though :D

Sorry SM but one-offs are a no-go. I know there are a few variants but I made the one I peeled off of my own car... making some with a different gear ratio is about all that I'll be doing differently.

Pretty much any place that makes stickers will have setup costs and minimums per order. One place I looked at had a minimum of 125 pieces; that would be more than enough for one variant; 250 for two would cost me twice as much and take twice as long to recoup. I'd rather spend the money on getting other stickers made... :D:D

wagon4wdstickersizeb.jpgbratfullsize72dpi.jpg

16004wdbadge72dpir.jpg I do want to also make a 2200 4WD version of this one though.

4wdsedancoupe72dpi.jpg I will make the sedan/coupe style badge if I can get a low enough minimum.

I plan to have patches :headbang: of these made to sell as well but it will take time because of the production costs. SubaruTex is perhaps going to be printing the stickers; depending on costs and minimums I'll have the LSD repro sticker first, or maybe a few of these.

4X4Welder, I hear you on that but I've seen a lot of LSDs on eBay and craigslist without the stubs or without the cover off to expose the chunk.. I feel better having everyone here tell me I'm full of it though :D

Sorry SM but one-offs are a no-go. I know there are a few variants but I made the one I peeled off of my own car... making some with a different gear ratio is about all that I'll be doing differently.

Pretty much any place that makes stickers will have setup costs and minimums per order. One place I looked at had a minimum of 125 pieces; that would be more than enough for one variant; 250 for two would cost me twice as much and take twice as long to recoup. I'd rather spend the money on getting other stickers made... :D:D

wagon4wdstickersizeb.jpgbratfullsize72dpi.jpg

16004wdbadge72dpir.jpg I do want to also make a 2200 4WD version of this one though.

4wdsedancoupe72dpi.jpg I will make the sedan/coupe style badge if I can get a low enough minimum.

I plan to have patches :headbang: of these made to sell as well but it will take time because of the production costs. SubaruTex is perhaps going to be printing the stickers; depending on costs and minimums I'll have the LSD repro sticker first, or maybe a few of these.

You might talk to Subarutex about the artwok and such. I know he's in that business.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I'm going thru Tex for sure now; he's a much nicer guy than the other label companies so that means I can plan to do smaller runs of the LSD sticker with other gear ratios!! :banana::banana:

He's still looking for a suitable stock on which to print them. We may not end up with an exact match to the original stock, and I've been looking off and on for a couple of years now, but I guess that's OK as it might negate some of my counterfeiting concerns.