Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What Have You Done to your Soobie lately? (Please post in here and keep it going)

Ricearu

Those rear air deflectors were on most of the GL-10 wagons and some GL wagons. Their pretty easy to come by and do look good on them!

What tyres do you have on there?

205/60/14 snow tires, I will have to check on the brand. Picked them up off G/L with studs in them and pulled the studs. Rims are Dodge D50 mini truck rims painted black and redrilled. 140 bucks into the tires and rim combo.

Now my "Everyday Warrior" Subie Runs like a Police Car... Hard and Holds on to the Road as Never Before! :banana: Also I Solved the "Weakest" Part Problem in my Subie.

How? ... Improving the Suspension. See This Thread for details:

I Hope this can Help...

Kind Regards.

...Also: Not done in my Subie but Subaru Related: I almost completed the Subaru Prototypes Database, with new "Older Subies" Found... Like

The Subaru Operetta:

SunaruOperetta-03.jpg?t=1282929439

The Subaru Gravel Express:

ImprezaGavellExpress-02.jpg?t=1282929754

The Subaru A-5

SubaruA-501.gif?t=1282930054

the Subaru T-10

SubaruconceptT10-1000.gif

and

The Subaru 450 Sports:

Subaru450Sports-1.gif

Just to Mention Some... The Database already has this ones:

ListofPrototypesPosted.jpg?t=1282931016

The Ones with Arrow in Yellow are the ones that has Photos

the Red Arrows indicates the ones that Went into Production.

You can see that "Database" in the thread located here:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=53434

Kind Regards.

Riding hard is nothing new with mine, Mine rides like a Truck and thats good! :grin:

Well... I Found that and I Always Share what can Help Others... So I Hope that can Help, but Remember: The Ride Becomes a Li'l Harder, Specially with the Non Stock Coil Springs I Used.

My Subie Usually Runs with some Weight so No Problem.

Kind Regards.

Hmm, maybe with the stiffer front springs, I could run my wagon without a front swaybar, at least for comparison.

I think you could, stiffer spring or strut are gonna put the tire to the ground even more - reducing how much the car wonders. you might still have more body roll with out the swaybar though.

well, im new here, been lurking. got an 85 d/r gl, and engine died immediately.. 300.00 donor car, ej22 swap, 2" lift, steelies with tsl 27", and lsd swap all going on at once..:)47247_1484319080848_1620001278_1267743_7486311_n.jpg

thx to thescoobie for all the help, suberdave for the harness work, and all the nice how-tos and articles..

this is only the beginning...:grin:

Most recent thing I have done to my 'roo is buy it :D As of Monday I am the proud owner of my first Brat. 1983 automatic with a mere 135k on it done up in a nice cosmic blue. It has been sitting for the last 4 years in a garage so I had to fill up the tires, change motor oil/filter, and am trying to figure out where to fill the power steering fluid. Front differential was bone dry and rear hasnt been opened yet. My dad owned 5 of these in manual back in the 90s and it took until now to find myself one that wasnt rusted out :)

Fairly new to working on vehicles.. on the undercarraige I found a motor oil drain, front differential, mystery pan, and rear differential. Anyone mind enlightening me on what the mystery pan is? (right behind front differential)

Most recent thing I have done to my 'roo is buy it :D As of Monday I am the proud owner of my first Brat. 1983 automatic with a mere 135k on it done up in a nice cosmic blue. It has been sitting for the last 4 years in a garage so I had to fill up the tires, change motor oil/filter, and am trying to figure out where to fill the power steering fluid. Front differential was bone dry and rear hasnt been opened yet. My dad owned 5 of these in manual back in the 90s and it took until now to find myself one that wasnt rusted out :)

Fairly new to working on vehicles.. on the undercarraige I found a motor oil drain, front differential, mystery pan, and rear differential. Anyone mind enlightening me on what the mystery pan is? (right behind front differential)

probably the transmission oil pan.

Now my "Everyday Warrior" Subie Runs like a Police Car... Hard and Holds on to the Road as Never Before! :banana: Also I Solved the "Weakest" Part Problem in my Subie.

How? ... Improving the Suspension. See This Thread for details:

I Hope this can Help...

Kind Regards.

What year tempo and what year accord?

I just found a bunch of data on the springs for those cars, but I found none for the subaru, so I can't find which particular springs I need to get.

Came across the manual in the mound of stuff he had in the car.. mystery pan is indeed the tranny oil. Spent the morning replacing that, filled the front differential.. then all around town trying to find a converter for my 3/8 to 1/2 to get those back plugs off. Bought a converter pack with a 1/2 in it.. turned out to be a 1/2 to 1/2 universal >.< Next store wanted $20 for a 1/2 ratchet, only thing thatd work.. so I opted for the "gator tool" that "fits any size" for a cheaper $10. It of course didnt fit around the plug to fill in the hole.

Smelling very much like rotting eggs from the front differential, with tranny fluid on my shirt, I ventured to the pawn shop for a 1/2. For the low price of $75, I could finally check/change the rear diffy. Defeated, I returned home for a drink and some reflection on Murphy's Law.

As a side note, I saw a GL wagon in someone's front yard, have to admit it brought a smile to my face :)

Edited by hanyou

It's been a little while since I have had to do anything to the Brat, which is a nice change.

My only problem was with the positive battery terminal. Since I replaced the fusible link harness with two fusible link wires the thickness of the combined wires to the terminal has lessened. This has been causing it to work itself loose enough to prevent start up from time to time.

A guy at work who works on my tow motor gave me a marine terminal and after adding loop connectors and putting that on I should have no further problems. :banana::banana::banana:

Came across this at the JY:

0902001129.jpg

Smoked out the blinkers (right one done, left stock to see difference in pic)

0828001428.jpg

decided to paint the bumpers and trim (in process)

0903001521.jpg

0903001521a.jpg

before (back):

0903001520.jpg

after (night and day difference, can't really tell in pic)

0903001536.jpg

front bumper is in the mist of mask and painting, apparments are soooo lame with rules about working on cars. DON'T MOVE into APARTMENTS if yo wanna work on cars:grin:

-Nomad

anytime. you should post a pic of that old pulley tho! lol

hope you make it home safe.

Well, made it home. Yea.. Remember when that key-way broke and i said "well, lets tighten the crap out of the bolt and i'll replace the cog when i get home... yea... it got lose about 4 hours outside of Jacksonville. I was driving down the highway (obviously..:rolleyes:) and my dash lit up like a Christmas tree. Now first, i thought i broke my alternator belt.. nope. the crank pulley came lose and was free spinning which, after chanting the "lefty losey righty tighty" you will realize that, well DUH! of coarse it came lose. but we tightened the crap out of it!!?!?!?

so.. luckily, the new pulley was still there.. AND the bolt thank god! (even though i had an extra).

anyway, here's the fun part. so i figured well crap! if its going to do that if i just wrench it down.. I'm going to try and put that key-way back in.

thumb it around..

thumb it around..

drop it into the timing cover.. lands, of coarse, right on the timing belt. so, great! take the cover off. only to find *drum roll please* my timing belt is shot to crap! its been slowly ripping itself apart and now i have fiberglass/rubber/whatever dust all over inside the cover. AND my timing belt is just about had it.

take out the key-way that fell in. put it back together *crossing fingers that the timing can just get me home* PLUG up the opening where the key-way fell into last time. thumb it in there tight, line up the crank pulley get it to sit and CRANKED THAT SUCKER DOWN!! no more free spin!:grin:

so yea, that was the chronicles of my trip home. nothing like taking apart the front part of your car on the side of the road:mad:.

And the wife wondered why i brought tools "Oh, you'll never need them the car is fine!" naturally i would've agreed, and I always have my tools on me but this time, I'm really glad.

On a side note, I really noticed it burning oil this trip.. I've fed it probably 3 or 4 qts there and the same back. also, when the cruse would down-shift to go up a hill you really saw it puff out the rear. I'm going to compression test it here soon and retire the old lego for a bit.

-Justin