Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What Have You Done to your Soobie lately? (Please post in here and keep it going)

Ricearu

What have I done to my Soobie lately? Well, last night I somehow damaged something in my drivetrain. Somethings wrong in the front diff case. Sounds wonderful too. I love loud popping/clunking coming from the front case.

I had something like that happen to my forester XS I guess the oil seal popped and front diff fluid all leaked out and the gear noise got louder and louder.. I was hoping to make it to the auto store but the front diff broke under the lightest throttle input ever.. something like 5% throttle leaving a stop light and every rotation of the ring gear it would hit the broken tooth and it was very nasty.. $3,000 worth of damage.

I had something like that happen to my forester XS I guess the oil seal popped and front diff fluid all leaked out and the gear noise got louder and louder.. I was hoping to make it to the auto store but the front diff broke under the lightest throttle input ever.. something like 5% throttle leaving a stop light and every rotation of the ring gear it would hit the broken tooth and it was very nasty.. $3,000 worth of damage.

Yup, thats how mine sounds. However it didnt give any warning. Mine had plenty of mobile 1 GL-5 synthetic gear lube in it. I actually changed it about 15 thousand ago.... So something else is amiss here. Possibly old age, Definately not too much power, However I drained the fluid and as soon as I unscrewed the drain, I hear a clunk, and sure enough, a tooth from somewhere on the front diff.... Broke right off. Hopefully Ill get it pulled apart in a week or two, and then decided weather it gets a new diff, or a new tranny.

Its getting pulled apart this weekend.

Edited by beataru
Status update

I have a 88 GL Wagon and yesterday I picked up a set of used adjustable rear struts from PAP. They came off a 86 GL Wagon. These had the preload on the strut body. With my OME struts on the rear the fender height was 26" after setting the preload to the highest setting(which there is three) the rear was setting at almost 28". A bit much and a little stiff. Removed the struts and reset the preload to the middle setting and it dropped to just above 27". Quick test drive and it feels good. Stiffer but still soaks up the road nice. I will give it a few days and see if it settles down any more. The color code on the sprins was a purple/yellow. I couldn't tell any color code on my strut springs. Are all springs the same or was there any options like on a GL-10 touring? I have seen these rear struts on a few GL wagons at the PAP. None have been GL-10 only a STD GL.

I have a 88 GL Wagon and yesterday I picked up a set of used adjustable rear struts from PAP. They came off a 86 GL Wagon. These had the preload on the strut body. With my OME struts on the rear the fender height was 26" after setting the preload to the highest setting(which there is three) the rear was setting at almost 28". A bit much and a little stiff. Removed the struts and reset the preload to the middle setting and it dropped to just above 27". Quick test drive and it feels good. Stiffer but still soaks up the road nice. I will give it a few days and see if it settles down any more. The color code on the sprins was a purple/yellow. I couldn't tell any color code on my strut springs. Are all springs the same or was there any options like on a GL-10 touring? I have seen these rear struts on a few GL wagons at the PAP. None have been GL-10 only a STD GL.

Putting the spring in a higher perch location doesn't necessarily stiffen the ride, if the strut normally extends to those regions.

It might be stiffer because the valve on the end of the strut rod is operating in a different section of the strut body, which may have less wear.

Therefore there may be a tighter clearance which would make the strut damping more stiff.

Rear Struts-- Almost forgot the best part, the casher thought they were shocks and charged me 3.50 each. $7.68 for two used rear adjustable struts

I've pulled 8 struts in ten days from Pic A Part. I've a full set of OB units for my Lego. To warm up, I've done front and rear on my 94 Mercury Tracer.

The Lego will have Fastcam bolts to deal with but I hope it goes as easy as the Tracer. FWIW, the fronts were easier than the back.

ordered new wheels for my car finally.... lol everyone keeps saying the car looks too much like a family car.

sadly it seems like it was cheaper for me to buy brand new wheels then to find some from a 2002 WRX.. but now that I brought them I'm sure everyone will come out of the woodwork saying they have 02 wrx wheels for sell..

Happy with the color I picked should match well.

Was going to do the rest of my brakes but i got sidetracked yesterday and tomorrow is not going to be any better.

I removed the tape deck and frenched a plastic plate into the trim bezel for a switch panel for my off road lights. Its friggen boss.

the left two switches control the lights, the other two are dummy's until i get rack lights lol. They are also spdt so up is high beam, down is low beam

left is lowers, left center is uppers, each with its own hi/lo circuit

IMAG0193.jpg

I removed the tape deck and frenched a plastic plate into the trim bezel for a switch panel for my off road lights. Its friggen boss.

the left two switches control the lights, the other two are dummy's until i get rack lights lol. They are also spdt so up is high beam, down is low beam

left is lowers, left center is uppers, each with its own hi/lo circuit

IMAG0193.jpg

Nice! You running all the power through the switches or are you using relays?

took her on a long road trip. we are currently in jacksonville, fl! Ran like a champ although I might need to do a compression check when i get back into town.. she was puffing a bit when the cruse control downshifted..

-Justin

JACKSONVILLE!?

I live there. btw how much rain are you hitting? its been like a non stop rain fest here. make sure to watch out for a blue xt with some gold enkies! lol

Well I have been hitting the Soobie pretty hard and I finally decided to do some maintenance, only performed an oil change prior to this weekend. Changed plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter and the EGR purge solenoid.... The plugs were eroded to almost nothing, the car is alot smoother now! Got my pugs from McBrat and ordered up some tires... things are coming along.. now going to talk to some people about a lift kit....

JACKSONVILLE!?

I live there. btw how much rain are you hitting? its been like a non stop rain fest here. make sure to watch out for a blue xt with some gold enkies! lol

well on the way.. not so much rain. It was humid as hell since my A/C doesnt work.

I found out just before leaving that my main raid. fan doesnt work :mad:. but if i turn the A/C on.. the secondary fan kicks in. so that works.. of coarse.. my wife went and drove the car today to meet some old buddy's of hers.. and she flippin overheated it. *grumble grumble* "whats the yellowish stuff pouring out of the bottom of the car? is that bad??" :banghead:

so.. hopefully, it just bubbled up and was draining out of the resovoir.

anywho.. yea. in jackson at the moment leaving friday (hopefully :-\) little white '91 lego from colorado. probably the only one around here.

off of Exit 5B and 294?

-Justin

Well, I tore the tranny apart, found my pinion shattered. And merkatroid and I are currently figuring out what to do about it.

The thought has crossed my mind about burning the car to the ground and dancing on it, but, I still kinda like it.

Kinda.

update.. was just the overflow tank that was leaking. rad. is alright.

my crank pulley is being retarded though. rpholz, do you know where i can pick up a pulley for relitively cheaply around here?

-Justin

from me for free. what pulley?

EDIT: im an idiot. crank pulley. would a xt pulley work? it uses a grooved belt. im off tomorrow and the next day. ill try to find something

Edited by rpholz