Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What Have You Done to your Soobie lately? (Please post in here and keep it going)

Ricearu

Start spraying the ball joint pinch bolts with PB blaster NOW

Thank you for reminding me to go pick up some PB!

Really hoping nothing breaks... never done this work before, car is low mileage though so things still look relatively clean.

re-wired Desertfind's dealer AC's relays so I do not have to open hood every time I turn car off to unhook fan and clutch. Also ran wire(supposed to be for AC lol) that will be for foglights.

Changed rear tire after separating tread @ 75 on the highway, found a new tire/rim and set of brown centercaps at junkyard and carpet dash pad that is same color as interior. Yay! no more cracked dash!

Swapped Alternator and VR on Sat. due to volts going from 8 to 16+ and back to 8 then 12 then 14 then peg at 8 then....AMAZED local auto parts store had both in stock.

This week is swapping seats for the hatch seats I found in the junkyard today.

made a plate to lower my rear dif after the previously mentioned spring/shock install.

R3JlZW5kYWxlLTIwMTIwNjA0LTAwMzM4LmpwZw.jpg

i wanna make some spacers for the suspension tube to correct my camber, HOWEVER, 3 bolts on the drivers side will NOT come free. i even had a hard time drilling them out last time when i replaced the tube. so hard i quit and just didnt replace that bushing. :(

In other news: My cigarette lighter has decided to start acting like those toasters that pop the toast 2 feet in the air.

When the lighter pops, it flies across the car now :):banghead:

the best solution for that is to quit smoking, I did, 2 and a half years now with out so much as a puff, and my lighter never comes out unless I'm plugging in the GPS :D

ok, so it's my 78 brat and here's the list;

drove 500 miles in a 77 chevy to tow your rump roast home.

removed failing ea71

tried to rebuild said ea71...good luck finding some of the parts.

sourced "new" ea71 from junk yard(400 miles)...apparently on the shelf for a long time as the oil filter claims it will fit a starlet.

soaked new engine cylinders with atf

new clutch

new pressure plate

installed engine

new front calipers

replaced cooling fan that was powered by spliced jumper cables that you had to hook up to the battery to go for a drive with a new fan unit

installed new fan control relay.

new master cylinder

new weber 32/36 dgev

new battery

new fuel pump

new holley fuel pressure regulator

new motor mounts

new trans mount

new accelorator cable

por-15 everywhere

bedliner

I'm about $2000 into this car and have driven it about 100 miles. Forget about the hours invested. And I still don't have a fuel tank. Currently running out of a 2gal can in the bed. Hopefully, hopefully, this car will serve well for a long time. I ran a 71 bus that I bought for $400 for 10 years, and there was similar work necessary up front, but it yielded years of reliable service, and eventually sold it for 5x what I paid for it. Cheers.

I use my cig lighter to burn the end of rope so it doesn't fray. But it never stays in, I have to hold it in. The pop out mechanism is broken :confused:

I've never known the lighter in my xt6 to work....but, I bought a new one, and it doesn't stay down either. Although the new one heats up really fast.

the best solution for that is to quit smoking

Def on my to do list. If not for the health benefits, it's also stupid expensive here ($9.00 a pack).

Bravo to you for quitting, I've got a lot of respect for those that manage to, considering how difficult it is. Tried a few times myself.

My father quit about a year ago after being a regular smoker 3/4 of his life. That amazed me.

In other news: My cigarette lighter has decided to start acting like those toasters that pop the toast 2 feet in the air.

When the lighter pops, it flies across the car now :):banghead:

sounds like a mean prank for someone in the backseat

I use my cig lighter to burn the end of rope so it doesn't fray.

The best way to prevent rope from fraying is to burn it apart with a torch instead of cutting it. That's how it's done in the construction trades. Never frays.

Blah, I don't care. It still works, for some reason. I actually drained it out to pass inspection a while back. And now that I think of it. I should just drill a hole in the bottom of the light. That way it will just drain out.

The bulb base is missing the tab things, so it won't seal. And I just don't care.

It runs, it drives, it passed safety inspection.

And this is the reason there are so many sh*tty Subarus (All cars in general) on the road (No personal offense)

People just don't care enough now days.

It's in perfect mechanical condition. All wheel bearings, axles, brakes, suspension, etc. I've fixed it all up and it's in tip top shape. I even welded up all the rust on the body so it's not full of rust and holes anymore.

But it's a lifted GL, it's a wheeler, a rally car. It's dented, scratched, and has lots of character. A little bit of water in the light or some dents on the door dosen't make it a bad car.

There are a lot of junky cars around here, but not many really unsafe cars. MOST inspection places won't pass a car if it has bad ball joints or something. Most places are pretty good about knowing where what cars rust and what to look for.

There are some places that will pass anything if you're not a ************************ and are polite. My GL won't pass at most places, not because it's unsafe, just because it's unusual and the shop doesn't want to get in trouble. I go to the backwoods places, talk to the owner, don't act like a wongleflute, and I get my inspection sticker.

I never said you didn't take care of your car, its good you took care of the rust and all mechanicals. Most people don't.

I just can't stand scratched/dirty windows, and leaky lights, pet peeve if you will lol.

I am glad we don't have inspection or emissions testing in WI.

I am kinda shocked you can have a lifted Subaru with inspection, since in their eyes its an unsafe homemade alteration. I heard there was some country, that it is illegal to do anything to your car, that did not come factory. Not even larger wheels/tires.

I never said you didn't take care of your car, its good you took care of the rust and all mechanicals. Most people don't.

I just can't stand scratched/dirty windows, and leaky lights, pet peeve if you will lol.

I am kinda shocked you can have a lifted Subaru with inspection, since in their eyes its an unsafe homemade alteration. I heard there was some country, that it is illegal to do anything to your car, that did not come factory. Not even larger wheels/tires.

Germany. And it must be a "factory approved" mod...Read In-house factory tuning or big money aftermarket that ponied up the funds to get parts approved.

There are a bunch of countries like that. And I can see where they're coming from.

And yea, it's hard getting a modified vehicle through inspection sometimes. But he looked at my lift blocks, and said they look like something that could come from the factory. I don't half-rump roast mechanical stuff. Especially something like, say, if my wheels could fall off.