Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What Have You Done to your Soobie lately? (Please post in here and keep it going)

Ricearu

I found some chrome 6 bolt 14x7 rims and had 195/70-14 tires put on them. I figured they would look 'ok'. I bolted them to the RS to make it a little more driveable on the pavement. I can go to full lock, have better acceleration and finally shed an annoying vibration. Unfortunately, the chrome rims look truly hideous on the car.  My GF laughed her self silly when she saw them. No I will not attach a picture. :eek:

The RS is now pouting like a kid with a bad haircut. I may only drive it at night.

Edited by Txakura
  • Like 1

Updated my 6 accessory fuse block to a 12...

Looks solid built and very Clean, Well Done!  Thumbup.jpg

It is interesting that I chose exactly the Same spot on the engine bay of my "BumbleBeast" to place a similar but simplier Relay Box, instead the old, exposed relays Setup that came from Factory...

Kind Regards.

• Like 1

Yesterday I changed the tranny oil in the BRAT.

It had been having some trouble in second gear with crunchy shifting and popping out of gear when cold. I suppose it was more like it wouldn't get all the way into gear and would pop out. Once I really got it into second, it would hold fine. Also, it wouldn't let me get into first until I was as close to completely stopped as you can get. Obviously changing the oil won't eliminate these problems entirely, but I figured it would probably help and it would give me some insight into what might be going on inside the tranny.

The oil was really cloudy, but no major metal pieces, which is always good. I filled it up with Valvoline 80-90 because I'm poor and a gallon is only $20. The oil went in REALLY slowly, which seemed weird to me. the funnel was sitting there full and the level went down at about 1 quart/5 minutes. Every once in a while a big air bubble would pop up and oil would flow better for a little bit.

Anyways, the tranny is noticeably better now, but certainly not perfect.

Just figured I'd give a quick update to my steering failure adventure, since you guys responded. What caused me to lose steering was half of my engine subframe bolts sheered off. My Loyale is lifted, and I have a subframe drop. When I originally put the drop in, I didn't have any big drill bits and I was too cheap to buy some. So I decided it would be fine to just run skinny 1/4" bolts to hold my subframe on.

1/4 INCH BOLTS?! And you've wheeled and JUMPED it? You must have a death wish!  :eek:

• Like 1

Since the car came under my ownership in April the following are the things I have improved/replaced/upgraded on my 84 GL wagon standard tranny....

New LED flood lights producing 2,300 extra lumens in addition to my dims.

New belt

Drained old coolant and replaced with fresh stuff.

Fixed my hazard lights

New windshield wipers

New speakers

New spark plugs

New fuel filter

Repaired overhead light

Sprayed the interior with armorall

New seat covers

New clutch cable

New starter

New oil pan gasket

Upgraded 10 bladed electric fan replacing the old 4 bladed one

Replaced tranny fluid

Added survival kit and tool kit to the back.

Added extra carpet to the back

Replaced air filter

Filled chips in windshield

Sprayed corrosion stopper on battery terminals

Drained oil and replaced with full synthetic 10w-30 oil and slapped on an ultra premium filter

I've also been running Seafoam through it.post-54976-0-69346100-1410806911_thumb.jpgpost-54976-0-65034900-1410807069_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sapper 157

the oil went in REALLY slowly, which seemed weird to me. the funnel was sitting there full and the level went down at about 1 quart/5 minutes. Every once in a while a big air bubble would pop up and oil would flow better for a little bit.

It helps if you lift up the funnel just a little. this releases the pressure that is making it difficult for the fluid to enter the tranny. Same thing happens with a gas can. on most cans they have a little plug at the back and if you undo that plug the gas flows much faster...the same is true with tranny fluid Just a little tid bt for the future

It helps if you lift up the funnel just a little. this releases the pressure that is making it difficult for the fluid to enter the tranny. Same thing happens with a gas can. on most cans they have a little plug at the back and if you undo that plug the gas flows much faster...the same is true with tranny fluid Just a little tid bt for the future

Still don't fill the trans too fast, or it'll burp a big belch of oil out of the dipstick... All over the cat. Which smells great for the next few miles :)

Seems like if air is struggling to escape through the funnel, it would have the same issue through the dipstick tube with the funnel pulled up. Wouldn't it just run out of the funnel and up over the top of the tube?

Now this has me wondering, do these transmissions have a breather tube? If yes, is it hooked to a vacuum line or is it just a passive breather? I'd think if it DOES have a breather and the tranny is burping when I fill it, maybe that breather is clogged? the fact that it is burping makes me think it must not have one.

Seems like if air is struggling to escape through the funnel, it would have the same issue through the dipstick tube with the funnel pulled up. Wouldn't it just run out of the funnel and up over the top of the tube?

Now this has me wondering, do these transmissions have a breather tube? If yes, is it hooked to a vacuum line or is it just a passive breather? I'd think if it DOES have a breather and the tranny is burping when I fill it, maybe that breather is clogged? the fact that it is burping makes me think it must not have one.

That is a VERY good question. Id like to know the same about my wagon. I think ill create a new thread and see what everyone else says about it. (Love this site!)

Thursday I did surgery on my keyless entry FOB that quit working when I had it in my pocket as I swam in the Gulf of Mexico. The salt water had shorted the batteries and it looked rusty inside. I washed the circuit board in the melted cooler water. Turns out a trip to Walgreens, an eyeglass repair kit (for the tiny screw driver) and a scotch brite pad and the keyless entry works once again. I did all this in a quick stop in Mobile Alabama.

Edited by MR_Loyale

Next time you're better off not to scratch the contacts trying to clean them. This will increase their surface area and remove the surface coating so it'll be much more likely to corrode in the future. Usually I'll use electronics cleaner and one of those black erasers for pen. You can usually pick them up at art stores, etc. Just "erase" the corrosion and crap off the board to clean it up. This generally gives you a much better repair and longer service life. Also a toothbrush is great for scrubbing the surface without removing any coating.

Had the carpets and everything to get said carpets out of my 83 sedan, coated the floor in a sealer, put everything back in and found that its definitely leaking through the doors/windows on the passenger side. Waiting on a call back from local Subaru dealer to see if they can source them, not holding my hopes up though. Also did fuel filter, hoping that it might help with stuttering hard ride hand corners (didn't), then changed Oil and filter on my wagon. 

Changed the my alternator belt after it wrapped itself around the fan, stopped the water pump and caused an overheat. I was just having a nice trip when I looked down and saw all red! Helpful motorist donated several water bottles and I made it ~10 miles with no alternator running no problem.

When I replaced my tranny fluid I used the trick I told you about (lifting up the funnel a little to release the vacuum effect on the oil) and it worked fine for me, no spilled oil. the trick is lifting it up just a LITTLE. just enough to make a gap between the side of the funnel and the side of the dipstick hole. sometimes this requires to people, one to pour the liquid and one to hold the funnel. 

Edited by Sapper 157

When I replaced my tranny fluid I used the trick I told you about (lifting up the funnel a little to release the vacuum effect on the oil) and it worked fine for me, no spilled oil. the trick is lifting it up just a LITTLE. just enough to make a gap between the side of the funnel and the side of the dipstick hole. sometimes this requires to people, one to pour the liquid and one to hold the funnel.

Next time, tape a toothpick to the side of the funnel before pouring ;)

Twitch

• Like 4

Here's the "header" I had made after my cat gave it up: 2" to stock style muffler. It pops a little bit from the back if I'm slowing in too high a gear, but not bad.

DSC03286.jpg

It's getting varnished :P

Changed the oil pan gasket to try and clean it up...

And there's this...

DSC03276.jpg

Check out my build thread for the deets!

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/140492-back-on-the-wagon/page-3#entry1250047