Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What Have You Done to your Soobie lately? (Please post in here and keep it going)

Ricearu

Well I had the fan clutch go out, so I found an electric fan rated at 1750 cfm and made it a pusher since I no longer use the condenser. I wanted to make it a puller but I was worried about the bolts where the fan used to be might damage the fan. Replaced the water pump gasket as it had been leaking for awhile. just had to replace the bearings. Now needs brakes, and new headlights.

i zip tied a bunch of vacuum lines, since the o'cry-ly's didn't have any vacuum hose clamps (they SELL vacuum hose, C'MON!) it looks like an electric yellow porcupine, lol. i have to get a pic of that...and some proper clamps... tonight im hoping to get the thing tuned up and cleaned up, gonna remove some rust, and maybe tomorrow, seal up the rust spots, when the sun comes to visit us again.:banana:

I finally started patching the holes rusted through my inner fenders! In the summer, the extra airflow coming through the edges of the firewall was kind of nice. But in the winter, the heater can't even keep up with that much cold air.

I started by ripping out all the rotted metal, then wire wheeled till I had bare metal quite a way past the hole in all directions. Then I filled behind the hole with Great Stuff spray foam. After cutting the foam to match the contour of the original inner fender, I sprayed 3M spray adhesive over the foam and just barely onto the metal, then covered the hole with aluminum foil so the fiberglass resin couldn't eat away the foam. Finally, I layed in a single ply of 1200 weight glass with a generous overlap onto the metal.

I'm giving the patch a couple of days to fully cure before I go back and sand the spots where the peel ply didn't stick, then feather the edges just a bit, drill some holes and rivet the patch in, then finally goop some undercoating over the whole mess.

I know, fiberglass isn't the best way to repair steel panels, the consensus seems to be for a max life of 3 years for such a repair. But if I had a donor car for those inner fenders, I'd probably fix it up instead.

Once this project is all the way done, maybe I'll get brave and start poking at the rest of the rust underneath to see just how bad it is. Somebody please hold my hand, I'm scared.

I can't believe how naked (and wrong) the EJ looks without an aircon compressor.

It looks like something's missing (which it obviously is:lol:)

I may be getting a "race-prepared" (ie gutted) 85 carb FWD sedan.

EA82T, disk brake rear end with swaybar, Honda rear calipers (for the handbrake), 5 stud conversion with EJ brakes for the front are planned.

Should be hell quick at sub 800kg:grin:

Put in a working wiper switch from Pull & Save. Yeah now I have working wipers, intermittent and washer :banana: Berfore I just had a wired in toggle switch with only one speed and had to turn it off and on. Amd had to time it just right to get her to stop at the bottom of the windshield. :grin:

Also move the plug/connector of the blinkers to my marker lights (the connector is intechangable) by so doing so I was able to get the blinkers that were zip tied off the bumpers and into the "lights" :lol: So now not only do I have frontal blinkers and side marker blinkers.

bought a boost gauge, a haden fan, and a kit for the fan, installed a new exhaust system, turbo back, chaged the oil, changed the spark plugs, adjusted the plugs (thanks ricearu). more stuff soon and i have pics now, just gotta get em uploaded

got the old parts car ea82t in the car and I will say this some of the accessories and other small details are very different from gl to xt.

I had to swap accessories because the motors were v-belt and serp.

I spent 12 hours arguing with a drunk about motor angles and wasted friday trying to fight him and a motor to get it done. ended up kickin his rump roast in the back yard.

went out and got the motor 70-80% in with pops last night early this morning. now I have to go back out friday and finish wiring and swap the injector pig tails becuase the xt one is short than the gl pig tail. almost done!

got the old parts car ea82t in the car and I will say this some of the accessories and other small details are very different from gl to xt.

I had to swap accessories because the motors were v-belt and serp.

I spent 12 hours arguing with a drunk about motor angles and wasted friday trying to fight him and a motor to get it done. ended up kickin his rump roast in the back yard.

went out and got the motor 70-80% in with pops last night early this morning. now I have to go back out friday and finish wiring and swap the injector pig tails becuase the xt one is short than the gl pig tail. almost done!

WTF was a drunk doing in your backyard for twelve hours?

WTF was a drunk doing in your backyard for twelve hours?

was my best friend long story short that bridge is burned and he got the worst of it. I spent like 12 hours out at my gmas (where me and the car have to meet) swapping accessories and ************, I woulda had the car done if he hadnt have been there. but yes hopefully the end of this week will be productive.