Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What Have You Done to your Soobie lately? (Please post in here and keep it going)

Ricearu

Working on head gaskets and hopefully that will fix our problem. Then If I have fixed the problem (oil and water disapearing) i will replace ALL the water hoses so I do not have to do it again. Then I have the front CV axles to replace and a exhaust manifold gasket to install then I can have a RUNNING SUBIE again and will not have to borrow my sons Dart. Hopefully I can get it running this weekend.

Working on head gaskets and hopefully that will fix our problem. Then If I have fixed the problem (oil and water disapearing) i will replace ALL the water hoses so I do not have to do it again. Then I have the front CV axles to replace and a exhaust manifold gasket to install then I can have a RUNNING SUBIE again and will not have to borrow my sons Dart. Hopefully I can get it running this weekend.

What yearis the Dart? My dad had a '71 Dart swinger with the slant-6. Pretty cool car, be better with the 340!

-Tom

1965 dodge dart. The guy my son bought it from redid the interior all black with a silver and black dash. the motor is fairly new with new disc brakes. it has the slat six but the thing cruises pretty good I keep having to slow down when I drive it. It has a few rust spots under the driver wheel well and passenger plus a little rust on the driver door. He just needs to fix that and paint her and she is almost show ready. It is pretty sweet. (oh yeah he needs to fix the drivers window someone threw a rock in it luckly the glass is flat so it should not be too hard to find a part.

Got the head gaskets in (my 86 gl) now trying to time her. Unfortunatly I took it off my insurance so I cannot drive it until Monday when I call my insurance agent. then to the axles and the exhaust gaskets......

A '70 with the 318 is one nice dart aswell. I like the older Dodges (Any older american machinery for that fact)

1965 is a big car but awesome! Yea my dad said the Slant-6 has quite a bit of power to it.

Anyhoo sorry for rambling.

Good luck with cam timing (Easier then ignition timing though) hope you get'er on the road monday :banana:

-Tom

Blew up the GL-10's transmission tonight. Fortunately, I was in front of my ex gf's house when it happened (i knew she was nothing but bad luck) and i could use her phone to call AAA and get it towed back. There will be a carnage report in the coming days.

Blew up the GL-10's transmission tonight. Fortunately, I was in front of my ex gf's house when it happened (i knew she was nothing but bad luck) and i could use her phone to call AAA and get it towed back. There will be a carnage report in the coming days.

Auto or Manual?

Good luck, hope its not too bad..

-Tom

got it running last night YEAH did the exhaust manifold as well but still have the CV axles to go in, new therostat, fix the oil gage or figure out what is up (better NOT be the pump) and HOSES!!!!(dont want to put in more head gaskets) Got it timed and it is purring but....... My oil gage is either not working or ??? it is under the 0 mark so I am guessing it does not work (i put a new oil pump in less then 5 months ago ) but then it overheated so .....MORE work to do. Hopefully It will get done this week.

My old '82 Brat ,

I did a valve adjustment last week , yesterday I pulled the Carter off and went through it ( throttle base was loose from the carb body , vacuum leaks ) and installed new plug wires .

When I first got it a couple weeks ago it was pretty tired ... I rebushed the worn out distributor and replaced the water pump so I could drive it . Then lots of elbow grease scrubbing and cleaning the filth off of it from sitting , and lots of little fiddly things that didnt work so I could drive it . Pulled all the inspection covers off the tailgate and bed to pressure wash all the dirt and crap that had accumulated over the years . Ditto on the undercarriage and engine compartment . And hey ... no rust !

Still lots to do .... shifter , exhaust , some body work , some more electrical etc. Wheels and tires . Suspension needs work as the front sags badly and bushings etc has to be worn at this mileage . Looks like the pass side lower control arm has taken a whack and is back slightly . I just pick away at it when I have time , its now my daily driver to the shop and back home . I'm getting a lot of good ideas from this forum on how I want to set the car up .

285000 miles and it runs pretty good all things considering . Still has 150 # compression and dont believe the engine has been touched . Driveline works good . Tough little cars !

A mechanics special :) but since I'm a mechanic its no problem . It was on its last legs and would have cost so much for Joe Average to repair , it would have soon wound up in the boneyard waiting for the crusher. I'm putting a lot of sweat into it , but oh well .......I like the thing ! besides , its practical and its a blast to drive .

Lots to go , but its fun work

Keep 'em running guys !

Bob

Installed the Gray GL maplight and wiring yeasterday, I messed up my headliner a little (Wasn't sure where to start cut" oh well, I'm gonna make a little thing out of sheet metel - cut it a little bigger then the light so it covers up that mess up, I'll paint it gray so it matches.

2009_1024Test0004.jpg

2009_1025Test0003.jpg

2009_1025Test0002.jpg

I'm not going to make the plate any longer then the light, but a little wider to hide the mistake cuts. :)

-Tom

Installed the Gray GL maplight and wiring yeasterday, I messed up my headliner a little (Wasn't sure where to start cut" oh well, I'm gonna make a little thing out of sheet metel - cut it a little bigger then the light so it covers up that mess up, I'll paint it gray so it matches.

2009_1024Test0004.jpg

2009_1025Test0003.jpg

2009_1025Test0002.jpg

I'm not going to make the plate any longer then the light, but a little wider to hide the mistake cuts. :)

-Tom

What you could do to make it even more functional, is wire some fog lights or off-road lights (or both, the more the merrier :grin:) and mount the switches for them in the plate you install, just in front of the map light. That way it looks less like you messed up and more like you made a trick mounting bracket for your switches :banana:

-Bill

What you could do to make it even more functional, is wire some fog lights or off-road lights (or both, the more the merrier :grin:) and mount the switches for them in the plate you install, just in front of the map light. That way it looks less like you messed up and more like you made a trick mounting bracket for your switches :banana:

-Bill

Hey that would be a slick idea! Sounds like a pain to run the wires but, yea a good idea. I already have the switchs on the gear-shift cover though :rolleyes:

I'll just put a sticker on the plate :-p

-Tom

One general question:

Even with new 12v bulbs - and vehicle running its still yellowish. Why? I think it should be a little whiter eh? Maybe I'm wrong?

Its probably just the bulb color.

Find some LED's to put in there.

Them suckers will be bright.

http://www.ledtronics.com/Products/cat1.aspx?P=C0D5

For easy findings ;)

Twitch